Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

White Student Union fliers at West Chester U. raise concerns

KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer
edited December 2010 in Off Topic
http://www.pottsmerc.com/articles/2010/12/02/news/doc4cf7a989aa016282066026.txt

WEST CHESTER — Controversial fliers announcing the formation of a White Student Union on West Chester University's campus were allegedly part of an effort to connect those are who against racism and are not the seeds of a racist organization, according to school officials.

The flier states:

Feeling under represented on campus?

Looking for a place to share YOUR views?

Uncomfortable in other "special interest" groups?

Then this is the place for you!

The flier invites interested students to the club's first meeting. It also includes a photo of seven fists in the air.

At least one student posted the fliers throughout campus over a 48-hour period this week, officials then removed the fliers, according to Pam Sheridan, university spokeswoman.

"There is absolutely no White Student Union here," Sheridan said. "There absolutely isn't going to be a meeting."

Seeing the fliers, students and others raised concerns over the possibility of a racist organization on campus, Sheridan said. The Campus Client Intervention Team, which addresses acts of intolerance or bigotry, conducted an investigation. The examination revealed that the fliers were actually posted to promote anti-racism, Sheridan said.

"It wasn't meant to be harmful," Sheridan said. "It was designed to draw anti-racists together, to get a sort of reaction."

Sheridan could not say how many students were involved, provide the identity of anyone involved nor say whether the act was affiliated with any existing campus organization. But she said because intentions were good, officials will not issue any punishment.

"People who know the students who distributed the fliers know what they represent and they don't represent (racism)," Sheridan said. "The poster was put together with a totally different agenda in mind and it backfired. The intent was in fact positive — to get people to talk about an issue."

It is unclear how the flier authors would have handled the situation if protesters and/or students interested in the club showed up for the meeting.

"I don't know the answer to that," Sheridan said.

West Chester University has roughly 14,000 students; about 15 percent of WCU students are minorities.

On Tuesday, the Campus Client Intervention Team sent out a campuswide e-mail explaining that the White Student Union was fictional.

"The Campus Climate Intervention Team remains committed to a safe, inclusive, diverse and civil environment and counts on every member to make that a reality," the e-mail stated. "We regret deeply the discomfort that this has caused segments of our campus."

Briana Rollerson, a freshman and member of the Black Student Union, felt the flier was done in poor taste.

"In my opinion, it seems like it's mocking the Black Student Union," Rollerson said.

Rollerson said BSU does not focus only on race, but holds events related to religion and sex, and recently celebrated Hispanic Heritage Month. She also said anyone is welcome to join BSU or attend its events.

Rollerson said the group's goal "is to educate, but it's also to have fun."

Justin Lai, a nutrition major from Horsham, said he saw a flier at Lawrence Dining Hall earlier this week, but it didn't really faze him.

"I read it and I just figured it was awkward wording for something like that," Lai said. "I just kind of ignored it."

But Lai said he could see how some would find it offensive or racist. If the intent was to promote anti-racism, "they're going the wrong way there," Lai said.

"I'm sure they had good intentions, but they need to rethink the poster," Lai said.

Rollerson, Lai and other students in Lawrence Wednesday afternoon all agreed that WCU is a campus that is tolerant toward different races, cultures and religions.

"People are just really nice. They're very open to meeting new people," said Danyely Tena, an English education major.

Some students are open to a comparable version of the Black Student Union for white students — if the group allows anyone to join and serves a non-racist purpose.

Quinn Larson, of Downingtown, said the university should be open to allowing a group that focuses on white students' needs.

"If it's open to everyone, then I don't think it would be a problem," Larson said.

Another student, who asked to remain anonymous, said the university should avoid clubs that are classified by skin color. At the same time, the student said because there is a Black Student Union it would be OK to offer a "European Student Union" that focuses on European cultural aspects, like food and art.

"It would be more about educational things — learning about different cultures, not about race," the student said.

A proclaimed national chapter of the White Student Union can be found online. The group's website features connections with the Ku Klux Klan. According to its bylaws, the group requires members to be white, American-born citizens. Members can wear a white T-shirt with the W.S.U. insignia to group meetings and on Fridays.

The site does not list any other chapters.

There is a Facebook page called "W.S.U. at W.C.U," which has three members. Two of the members appear to be advertising personalities. Also on Facebook is: "Temple (University) Needs a White Student Union." Only two comments have been posted on the page since 2007.
kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html

Comments

• KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer
    So, what do you guys think?
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    What a load of shit. I'm sick of this double standard where we aren't allowed to be proud of being white. If it was any other race, it would have been completely endorsed.
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    why would u want to be proud of your skin color tho? there are many more important things to be proud of...
  • LeaLea Posts: 1,549 balls deep
    why would u want to be proud of your skin color tho? there are many more important things to be proud of...
    I agree...
    Or hell, you can be proud without screaming it to the world. There are definitely many more important things to be proud of
    I'm not saying it like that. I don't feel oppressed or anything that I can't announce to the world that I'm white. It's that any time there's a Latinos Unidos group or whatever it's totally fine, but if it's whites only it's racist. That's lame.
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
    screaming it to the world.
    announce to the world
    ARE YOU A WIZARD?
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    There shouldn't be any of these one race organizations. At all.
    I love winning with women
    I'm not saying it like that. I don't feel oppressed or anything that I can't announce to the world that I'm white. It's that any time there's a Latinos Unidos group or whatever it's totally fine, but if it's whites only it's racist. That's lame.
  • That_Guy_ArloThat_Guy_Arlo Posts: 14,026 master of ceremonies
    Brian you do realize why this "double standard" exists right?
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,282 mod

announce to the world
    ARE YOU A WIZARD?
    No...but I meant screaming...not announcing. <_>
    Announcing: "hey guess what, I'm white!"
    Screaming: "HEY I'M WHITE AND FUCKING PROUD."

I agree. I've always felt that these groups promote segregation and racism...but that's just my opinon.

I agree. I've always felt that these groups promote segregation and racism...but that's just my opinon.
    I believe the same too, but regardless, they exist and they are not going away.

• OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    I should further my opinion... I believe they should all be dissolved.

If there's a problem,
    I love winning with women
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    but latinos have there own culture and stuff, white people is a very broad thing. we dont have one specific culture or heritage, there are many
  • 1D_for_life1D_for_life Posts: 13,785 destroyer of motherfuckers
    announce to the world
    ARE YOU A WIZARD?
    No...but I meant screaming...not announcing. <_>
    Announcing: "hey guess what, I'm white!"
    Screaming: "HEY I'M WHITE AND FUCKING PROUD."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDUKJNbqTQU
    lol...I remember this.
  • StratophonyStratophony Posts: 9,212 just the tip
    let whitey have their meetings

... who cares
    Because of slavery and the klan, and that's semi understandable. But because some stupid hicks had to be, well...stupid, all white people are eternally damned to being racist? We're all just nigger guys.

For the record, I agree that all of these groups are pretty pointless, but I'm irritated by the fact that it's ok for everyone else.
  • That_Guy_ArloThat_Guy_Arlo Posts: 14,026 master of ceremonies
    Because of slavery and the klan, and that's semi understandable. But because some stupid hicks had to be, well...stupid, all white people are eternally damned to being racist? We're all just nigger guys.

For the record, I agree that all of these groups are pretty pointless, but I'm irritated by the fact that it's ok for everyone else.
    Yes, it is okay for the other ethnic groups to celebrate their diversity. They were never fully given a chance to do so in the past and I don't see a problem with them celebrating the positive things their particular groups have done for our society. White people have all the privileges they could ask for and certain minorities are still underappreciated in certain aspects. Allowing them to express themselves is a good way to ease the tensions between the different groups and helps benefit our society IMO.