Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

YOU KNOW WHAT REALLY FLOATS MY BOAT

Comments

• Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,597 spicy boy
    edited April 2021
    give me the specs on a monitor, but yeah the monitor isn't usually factored into the price of a desktop because its a seperate piece of equipment. 

i could get the ram for probably 300 max though. Edit - ill have to look at this more, but it looks like i may be wrong on this point. 

$4,100 is what you would spend on an absolute maxed out set up. top of the line stuff for everything. 
    edited April 2021
    the surface pro is like $1,400 and that thing is lit af

like i said though, im not trying to prove this vs that. i know you like MAC and thats fine. i just find what you get with macs is absurdly priced. 

Also the operating system is garbage for me. i can't stand it even if i use IOS on my phone lol.  and the whole not getting virus thing is cool, but it severely limits the software available. for me thats not something im interested in even if the hardware was superior. 
  • EpisodeMnHEpisodeMnH Posts: 4,720 jayfacer
    give me the specs on a monitor, but yeah the monitor isn't usually factored into the price of a desktop because its a seperate piece of equipment. 

i could get the ram for probably 300 max though. 

$4,100 is what you would spend on an absolute maxed out set up. top of the line stuff for everything. 

Top results on 128GB RAM cards for PC and all I Googled was “128GB
    RAM cards PC” 🤔

As for the monitor specs:

Resolution is 5K, 5120 x 2880. From what I can find as far as gaming, it runs basically a steady 60 FPS for gaming.  And I would assume that would be way higher if I had maxed out the graphics card.

When I search “5K PC monitor”, the absolute lowest I’m pulling up is $650.

And yea, you don’t include the price of the monitor on top of the base PC, but when comparing it to an all in one, you have to. Because you’re either starting from scratch and need to, or you’re carrying on using your 10 year old monitor and really SHOULD upgrade it.
    what kind of mac do you have?

also check edit, but im still pretty sure with some looking around i could find it cheaper from somewhere. when i do stuff like this i do a lot of research and find good deals. 
    the surface pro is like $1,400 and that thing is lit af

like i said though, im not trying to prove this vs that. i know you like MAC and thats fine. i just find what you get with macs is absurdly priced. 

Also the operating system is garbage for me. i can't stand it even if i use IOS on my phone lol.  and the whole not getting virus thing is cool, but it severely limits the software available. for me thats not something im interested in even if the hardware was superior. 
    Not the Surface. That’s a laptop. There’s a 27 inch all in one desktop and it’s called the Studio or something. It’s $3,500.
    what kind of mac do you have?

also check edit, but im still pretty sure with some looking around i could find it cheaper from somewhere. when i do stuff like this i do a lot of research and find good deals. 
    Late 2020 27 inch iMac. But upgraded the stock SSD to 2TB, upgraded the stock processor to Intel i9 10 core, and upgraded the stock RAM to 128GB. Monitor is 5K tho.
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,707 spicy boy
    Yea a good gaming PC to run on ultra for modern games would run you closer to $3000 these days. 

Graphics cards alone push $1000 
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
    Yea a good gaming PC to run on ultra for modern games would run you closer to $3000 these days. 

That card that’s like impossible to get rn is that Radeon correct? That alone is like $500.

That card that’s like impossible to get rn is that Radeon correct? That alone is like $500.
    The Nvidia RTX 30 series cards. 
    A 3070 goes for $500 to $1000. A 3080, anywhere from $1000 to $5000 depending on the card. A large part of it is due to scalpers and crypto miners buying up all the cards. 

But yea, modern PC hardware is expensive. You could reasonably build a PC that runs games at medium or high at 1080 for $1000-2000, but if you want to run modern games on the highest settings and 4k, expect to spend $3000-5000
    Plus with 144 Hz monitors now, monitors can be expensive too. 
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,282 mod
    Yeah gaming pc’s aren’t cheap anymore if you want to play everything at ultra. I got in right before the boom and Covid doesn’t help since a lot more people are trying to get pc’s

yeah the RTX if available would be fine and that is 500 retail. 

regardless even if it was the exact same price between the two, id still go windows just because of the limitations on software apple puts on things. 
    Their iMac Pro is definitely overpriced tho. The base model is $5,000. Although, I can’t really say it’s overpriced as much as it’s
    over POWERED. Like you get what you pay for, but only 1% will ever need that. 

The base model comes wit an 18 core processor. I forget the specs on everything else, but that already tells you how ridiculous it is. My 10 core is already instantaneous. You will never need something that powerful unless you’re at Marvel working on billion dollar CGI scenes or developing a triple A game for a major publisher.

In a case like music, that’s completely unnecessary even at a top studio recording top 40 artists lmao. You have it only for the prestige at that point.

Although it does LOOK a lot sexier. It’s metal black. I wish they offered the option of finishes on the regular iMacs like they do on the iPhones.
    yeah at the end of the day, its what you like and what you need, so for you its not a rip off per say.

That was the wrong verbiage probably. but i just wouldn't go that route personally. 
    NOCAP said:
    Yeah gaming pc’s aren’t cheap anymore if you want to play everything at ultra. I got in right before the boom and Covid doesn’t help since a lot more people are trying to get pc’s
    the biggest issue with the hardward is a supply issue which causes a demand issue. it wont be as expensive when everyone is able to get all the parts they need to build their hardware. 

this whole crypto boom has made graphics cards harder and harder to get though. 
    either way, i need this cop to get acquitted and the rioting to start so that i can loot myself one of the Jay TV's 

i want an OLED so bad lol. im not forking out $1500+ for a tv though.
    edited April 2021
    yeah the RTX if available would be fine and that is 500 retail. 

regardless even if it was the exact same price between the two, id still go windows just because of the limitations on software apple puts on things. 
    I feel that, and I’m actually in the same boat. It’s not even that Mac is limited in software, it’s that it’s delayed. They eventually always catch up and support it, but they’re always second place. As I jus experienced myself and had to spend $300 jus so I didn’t have to wait. Plus there’s infinitely more available options as far as torrents for PC, which in itself saves you money.

But then there’s also hardware. My entire recording rig runs off of Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is available on a very select few PCs, but none as appealing as a Mac. It’s mainly a Mac thing. The audio interface I have is also available in a single core, Windows, USB version, but mine is the premium, top of the line, quad core, Thunderbolt version. So you can see what I would have been sacrificing if I downgraded, jus to move back to PC.

There’s a reason that every single professional studio I been to was running Mac Pros. Especially since they had the money to buy every plug-in and weren’t worried about torrents being compatible. And there’s a reason that every single display studio at a Guitar Center is running Macs lmao.

And that’s not to shit on people using PCs for music production, it’s a very viable option and great sounding music is still produced from it, especially on high powered machines. But if you want something that’s the absolute best in it’s field for music, and you’re spending a similar amount either way, you’re going Mac.
    oh yeah for sure. i know you need it for music and they are universally know to be the go to for that. 
    either way, i need this cop to get acquitted and the rioting to start so that i can loot myself one of the Jay TV's 

i want an OLED so bad lol. im not forking out $1500+ for a tv though.
    Lmao I can drop the bread on an OLED, but primary reason I been waiting is cause 8K will drop to around the same price in a year or 2 anyways. 4K was stupid expensive at first too then drastically dropped in like 2 years. I got a nice ass 50 inch 4K as it is anyways so I can be patient in the meantime.