Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

***Official Video Games Thread***

Comments

• MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,661 master of ceremonies
    Guitar Hero 6 Title, Release Date Revealed

Another year means another Guitar Hero game, but this fall's entry in the franchise won't be numbered, as in "Guitar Hero 6." Instead, it will be titled Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock, according to its listing on Amazon. The release date is set for September 21.

Hmm, what could "Warriors of Rock" mean? Perhaps this sixth entry in the series will include some sort of adventure or quest mode, which is a direction we know music game newcomer Power Gig: Rise of the Six String is headed in. Unfortunately, the Amazon page does not include any details. We're sure to find out more at E3 next month.
    HBO on the PlayStation Network

Sony Computer Entertainment America announced that HBO is coming to the PlayStation Network. Starting today, PlayStation 3 owners can sign into PSN and download a variety of HBO programming, including Entourage, True Blood, Curb Your Enthusiasm and Rome. The content can be purchased and viewed on your PS3 or your PSP.

Senior Vice President of Marketing and PlayStation Network Peter Dille comments: "the HBO library of premium original content is a perfect example of how PS3 has become the most content-rich entertainment platform in the living room. When you combine the iconic programming from HBO with the existing TV, film, live sports and original programming available on PlayStation Network, our customers have access to the content they want, when they want it, at home or on the go with the PSP."

The HBO content is available now via the PlayStation Store.
    Rock Band 3 Keyboard Teaser

Harmonix and MTV announced today that the Green Day: Rock Band Demo is available today on Xbox Live and PlayStation Network. As reported by Joystiq the Green Day: Rock Band demo on Xbox Live includes a slight teaser for what appears to be the next installment in the Rock Band series.

Upon leaving the demo a single image appears on screen showing the icons for guitar, bass, microphones, drums, and keyboard, along with the number three. As speculated in the article this could either refer to a regular stand-up keyboard or some sort of throwback keytar
    Two hours of gaming = doing a line of coke

An absurd little article has been spewed up by the Lancashire Evening Post, where two hours of videogame playing has been directly compared to doing a line of cocaine. The story claims that a young boy was "tormented" by his crippling game addiction and that children around the world are being destroyed by evil videogames. Another day, another "journalist" trying to terrify his readers.

"Young addicts are skipping meals, playing truant from school and are even stealing money from their parents to buy the latest games," claims the report, doing its utmost to make games sound like drugs. "Alarming figures reveal three out of five under 16-years-old plays video games to such an extent that it is a cause for concern for health care professionals."

It's therapist Steve Pope's comments, however, that manage to be the most stupid and irresponsible: "Spending two hours on a game station is equivalent to taking a line of cocaine in the high it produces."

Games, they are exactly like cocaine. Amazing.

The cloying, scaremongering joke of an article really is worth reading for a laugh. It's not even worth getting upset over, because the one-sided and deliberately alarmist tone of the article is almost to the point of self parody. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to shove an ecstasy pill up my arse BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT GAMES ARE LIKE ACTUALLY!

http://www.lep.co.uk/lifestyle/gaming_addiction_grips_youngsters_1_773488
  • NecrothulhuNecrothulhu Posts: 33,444 master of ceremonies
    You know, that's a prime example of bad parenting. Some people shouldn't be allowed to have kids, which happens to obv be half the population
    imageimage
  • NOLANOLA Posts: 6,353 jayfacer
    edited May 2010
    "Games, they are exactly like cocaine. Amazing."

i gotta disagree with this, I've never really enjoyed video games. But, blow on the other hand...
    NBA Live Becomes NBA Elite

Yup, it's official, for the coming season and all foreseeable subsequent titles, NBA Live will be known as NBA Elite. That means for this year's version of EA Sports basketball you'll be playing NBA Elite 11. Rolls right off the tongue, doesn't it?

Here's EA's official statement on the name change: "We knew it was time to leave the past behind. We have exciting and significant changes coming to our NBA game this year that will usher in the future of basketball videogames. We look forward to releasing information on exactly how we'll be doing that over the next few months."

Kotaku is reporting (via the latest issue of OXM) not only the name change, but that there's an entirely new direction for the mechanics of EA Sports' NBA series as well. According to the latest issue of OXM, ""If the left stick is your body, then the right stick serves as your hands and the ball. Bouncing the ball behind our back, for instance, required rolling the stick down and around - the same movement our hands would make to pull off the trick."

Sounds a whole lot like the treatment that has been given to NHL in years past, not to mention Skate, Fight Night and myriad other sports titles outside of the EA Sports label. Rest assured, we'll have a lot more info once E3 rolls around in mid-June. Stay tuned to IGN for more on this interesting development.
    Natal Pricing Rumors Spread

As we approach the Electronic Entertainment Expo there are more and more rumors regarding upcoming game and hardware announcements. Today Edge has cited a "trusted source" with information regarding the price and launch date of Project Natal, Microsoft's new motion sensing controller.

The article states that Natal will be bundled with the Xbox 360 Arcade unit and will cost $299. This would be available to consumers the world over on October 26. The price for Natal on its own would be $149, more than the announced price for Sony's Move.

Microsoft, of course isn't commenting on this information, and it should all be taken with a grain of salt at this point. We hope to have plenty of solid info about Project Natal, including its official name in a few weeks when E3 kicks off in Los Angeles.
  • EpisodeEpisode Posts: 32,049 destroyer of motherfuckers
    KEYBOARD IN ROCK BAND 3?!?!?

FUCK.
    YES.
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Jump is going to be there, I guarantee it.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    While I have video games on the brain.......I tried this game out for a few minutes and it looks just as good as the original.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    A Castlevania movie....really...
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,282 mod
    Games to films should never happen same goes for films to games.

• GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    edited May 2010
    Give it a year or two and I think Backbreaker will kick Maddens ass. With any luck Madden wont get another contract so easily and will be forced to work their asses off on a great game.

On the topic of Madden:
    They get Gus Johnson to help with calling the game. Great
    BUT CRIS COLLINSWORTH IS STILL ON. Fuck if this game sounds like the last one I'm going to get pissed.
    image Photobucket
  • StratophonyStratophony Posts: 9,212 just the tip
    Cris Collinsworth is trash
  • StratophonyStratophony Posts: 9,212 just the tip
    Goes to show you that Presenting your product can be as important as the product itself
  • MyosesMyoses Posts: 1,244 juggalo
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,282 mod
    lolololololololololol