Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

***Official Video Games Thread***

Comments

• MyosesMyoses Posts: 1,244 juggalo
    Wii U won't have DVD or Blu-ray playback, will include social media functionality

We already knew that the Wii U's games wouldn't be coming on DVD (like the Xbox 360) or Blu-ray (like the PlayStation 3), but we didn't know that Nintendo's next console wouldn't be able to play video from either format. Nintendo president Satoru Iwata confirmed as much in a recent investor Q&A, flat out stating that "Wii U does not have DVD or Blu-ray playback capabilities." He explained the reasoning behind this as -- unsurprisingly -- the cost, and the notion that "enough people already have devices that are capable of playing DVDs and Blu-ray."

Something that Nintendo will apparently be including in the Wii U, though: social media functionality. When asked about the new console's online experience, Iwata deftly avoids providing direct information, admitting only that "we are no longer in a period where we cannot have any connection at all with social networking sites." How this will be applied seems to still be up in the air, with Iwata later in the Q&A elaborating, "We're looking at ways that will convey to this audience which games are fun and, ideally, in a way that will enable people who are playing those games with others, to share that information socially."

He also said that the console's online infrastructure needs to be more flexible for developers, repeatedly citing third-party studios as the drive for Nintendo's new stance. Worryingly, he never speaks to the necessity of online persistence or the company's messy past with online functionality.
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    edited June 2011
    Wii U won't have DVD or Blu-ray playback,
    stopped reading there. this thing is going to fail miserably
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    more derp from nintendo
    first no hard drive, now DVD or Blu-ray. whats next? friend codes again? LOL
    actually... yeah. they're doing friend codes again. imma go find the article.
    actually... yeah. they're doing friend codes again. imma go find the article.
    edited June 2011
    actually Wii-u is going to ditch the friend codes, not that its online can ever hope of coming close to PSN let alone Live.

edit: turns out i was wrong

Nintendo’s been pretty quiet about their Wii U online service, but surprzingly Nintendo UK’s marketing manager Rob Lowe spoke a bit on the subject. He confirmed the use of the friend code system, although says it is more refined than ever before.

“It still exists but in the same way that you’d need to pair up with friends on PSN or Xbox live. Now it’s much closer to that kind of online gaming experience than what it was before.”

Lowe points to the 3DS and its network features as proof that thy are working towards a better online experience. Lowe still says that they have to be considerate not only of what the hardcore gamer wants, but having a more protective online environment for younger players.

this console is going to be absolutely terrible, yet again base the entire thing around a gimmick and pray people ignore everything else you failed on
    Post edited by Shane on
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Posts: 12,604 balls deep
    Shane is right, no way that Nintendo can catch up to PSN, and they should just give up on catching up to Live. At least Sony is trying to compete with Live and not doing a bad job of it.
  • MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,664 master of ceremonies
    LOL @ Nintendo

Knew that stupid ass system would fail. What was more retarded is that at E3 they didn't even mention the console. All they did was show the stupid controller and not once mention or show the console. I was like lolwut?
    modern nintendo=derpfest
    Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim looks metal as FUCK.

• GULCH_OF_ROTGULCH_OF_ROT Posts: 5,795 salt miner

YES INDEED

ALL THEY NEED TO DO IS ALLOW MULTIPLAYER
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,283 mod
    Nintendo is a fucking joke now.

edited June 2011

indeed
    LOL @ Nintendo

Knew that stupid ass system would fail. What was more retarded is that at E3 they didn't even mention the console. All they did was show the stupid controller and not once mention or show the console. I was like lolwut?
    of coarse they only showed the controller, they only want people to see the Gimmick

Wii-U is going to sell like crazy at first simply cuz its the first console in years then when the monsters Sony and Microsoft have behind closed doors hit the market Nintendo can expect to be crushed under their heel.

i'm confident that the new xbox and playstation will probably be twice as powerful as the Wii-U
  • MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,664 master of ceremonies

indeed
    LOL @ Nintendo

Wii-U is going to sell like crazy at first simply cuz its the first console in years then when the monsters Sony and Microsoft have behind closed doors hit the market Nintendo can expect to be crushed under their heel.

i'm confident that the new xbox and playstation will probably be twice as powerful as the Wii-U
    Sony is banking on a new processor chip being made right now by I forgot who. It's supposed to be hella powerful and fast.

indeed
    LOL @ Nintendo

Sony is banking on a new processor chip being made right now by I forgot who. It's supposed to be hella powerful and fast.
    WE SHALL SEE

WE SHALL SEE
    edited June 2011
    well Xbox Chips are made by ATI so you know they have some new monster chip in the works for the next Xbox.

i have doubts that Microsoft will allow sonys console to out power them this time around
    well Xbox Chips are made by ATI so you know they have some new monster chip in the works for the next Xbox.

i have doubts that Microsoft will allow sonys console to out power them this time around
    THEY WILL NOT
  • MyosesMyoses Posts: 1,244 juggalo
    LOL @ Nintendo

Lol I know right? It was just announced now that they would be charging for online service for the Wii-U as well. <_>