Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

***Official Video Games Thread***

Comments

• NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,281 mod
    Yo Ed you used LaunchBox? I know how to install all the emulators individually but to my understanding, LaunchBox is essentially the Windows version of EmuDeck and installs all of them at once. So I’d rather save the time and do that in that case.
    I’m using emulation station via a beta version of emudeck for Windows. Been working fine for me but I have to work around getting my og Xbox and 360 emulators integrated with emulation station. 

NOCAP said:

This handheld is pretty bad ass but you need to know what you’re doing. The steam deck is plug and play this isn’t and a lot of people are going to get frustrated by it. Despite being a big handheld it feels very light in hand. 
    Btw you smoking glass wit this one. Steam Deck is the most ANTI plug and play piece of shit I ever dealt wit. Literally every single process was out of the way. That’s the main reason I returned it. The Ally is no different than setting up any regular Windows laptop or desktop. Matter fact I’m extremely happy rn because on top of that, it did the Windows backup thing so everything from my Galaxy Book was instantly installed on here so I don’t even have to set up simple shit like streaming apps and shit. Jus gotta swap this SSD and install emulators and ROMs and I’m good to go. I’m fucking loving this thing already and the quality feels great in hand. Only complaint is the lil dock/kickstand thing it comes wit. It’s literally cardboard like sneaker inserts. Like really? For this price it couldn’t at least have been a hard 3D printed PVC stand? 🤦🏻‍♂️ Definitely replacing that ASAP.
    I don’t know why the steam deck was so hard for you but everyone has different wants and needs. If a casual gamer that isn’t computer literate is thinking about getting into handhelds I would recommend the steam deck every time. Steam deck feels more like a console and the Ally feels more like a PC. You turn on your steam deck and you’re automatically brought to the UI where you can buy and install all the games you want then play it right there. There are no updates, no tweaking, everything just works and for most that’s all they need. 

People are buying pc game systems to get console like quality now?

What a world we live in. 
    What? In Turbo mode it can surpass console performance, and combined wit an XG Mobile, it can FAR surpass console performance, and essentially match a powerful desktop setup.

That’s the joke. PC players been shitting on consoles since time began, so seeing “console like performance” was amusing to me. 
    These handhelds are getting better but compared to a 4090 it’s not even close. The PC handhelds are a few generations behind actual desktop rigs so compared to a PS5, you’re getting similar sometimes better performance depending on the game. At least for the AAA higher demanding stuff. 

• EpisodeMnHEpisodeMnH Posts: 4,715 jayfacer
    edited June 2023
    I’m not understanding why it performs so much worse while docked. Am I doing something wrong?

Again, Infinite is my only sample game so far, but in handheld mode, if I keep it at Low settings, I’m able to get 1080P, consistent 100+ FPS, running in 30W Turbo mode, and it looks and performs great. I then plug it into my 4K OLED, using the official 65w dock charger, same settings and everything, and it dips to 30-40 FPS wit game breaking input lag. And that’s even when dropping the resolution by 50% back down to 1080P. And my OLED is a 120Hz TV, it runs certain console games in 120. But while docked, it changes my settings in Infinite and only allows me to set the maximum frame rate to 60, whereas handheld mode allows 120. Which makes no sense since both monitors are 120. It’s not immediately a huge deal because I didn’t plan on the Ally being my primary home console as well until I cop the XG, but as it stands that still makes no sense for it to take such a gigantic dip on a superior display.
    This is a known issue when docked. To my understanding it has to do with the power consumption. I thought the official dock was supposed to make this better. I don’t have the dock so I can’t mess with it on my own. 

Yea, answered my own question shortly after. Turns out even the official dock is locked at 4K/60. 😐😐 Well that was a waste of fucking money. Gonna cop a better 3rd party version ASAP smh.
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,704 spicy boy
    Just get a gaming laptop
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy
    Just get a gaming laptop
    And completely delete the purpose of having the handheld? 

No for me dawg. 

In 20 years well all be gaming on handheld devices we can just doc. It's going to be fucking great. 
  • MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,661 master of ceremonies
    New Final Fantasy going to be nasty. That demo was bananas 
    Just get a gaming laptop
    And completely delete the purpose of having the handheld? 

No for me dawg. 

In 20 years well all be gaming on handheld devices we can just doc. It's going to be fucking great. 
    Bro
    But anyways, a gaming laptop can just hook an HDMI to your TV, and you can literally stream Steam to your phone. Emulation already runs solid on most modern Android phones up to like PS2 too. Just get a Kishi or a Backbone, and call it a day. 

I get the appeal of dockable handhelds. I LOVE the Switch. But Erik either wants something handhelds cant provide atm, or isnt willing to take the time to learn how to use them go max capacity. So just get a laptop and call it a day 
    😐

How you arrived to that conclusion out of me saying the official dock is locked at 60 FPS is beyond me, especially when I already specifically said in that post that I’m not expecting the Ally to take over as my primary console until I also cop the XG Mobile. 

I was able to configure settings and get satisfying results in handheld mode so was simply wondering what the bottleneck in docked mode was, since it clearly wasn’t the Ally itself. I need a better dock that pushes 120, all there is to it.

Also, I’ve already explored my options and even if I went the laptop route, I would be in a similar boat. Because I would still want the all in one aspect of it, so I would get like an ASUS ROG Flow X13 or Z13, and would still end up pairing it wit an XG Mobile. But would lose the handheld form factor of the Ally. I played all of Wind Waker on my Galaxy Book so I’m already keen to that life, and it’s acceptable for sure, but the handheld form jus simply works and feels better for that.

Realistically, my absolute ideal setup would be like $10K lmao. Because I would have a home MSI full blown desktop tower wit a desktop 4090, then would also have the Ally and the 4090 XG Mobile so I could take nearly the same power wit me on the go. But that’s premium for the sake of being premium, so the ideal solution for me that keeps it all in one and at a middle of the pack price point, ($2,700) is the Ally + XG combo.
    Laptop too bulky for me. It’s the convenience of being able to walk around my house with my handheld in my hand playing whatever I want. Or if I’m somewhere I have to wait I can just pull my handheld out of my back. With a laptop I’m going to need to bring a controller and hope there is somewhere I can rest it to play. Win Max 2 is pretty much the handheld/laptop hybrid but the form factor still kills it for me. 

Do you guys follow Taki Udon? He's all about handhelds. 

https://www.youtube.com/@TakiUdon
    Stop Drop And Retro does some too, but he mostly focuses on emulation machines moreso than handheld PCs

https://www.youtube.com/@StopDropRetro/featured
    Yeah I watch Taki, The Phawx and Retro Game Corps

Jus played Infinite for like 3 hours straight on the Ally lmao. There’s something so fucking satisfying about being able to competitively play multiplayer Halo on a fucking handheld and stay near the top of the leaderboards, at 80-100 FPS the whole time. Got damn this shit is really the future. Straight addicted. Shit came a LONG way. 
    Fuck I really shouldn’t have done it to myself. Downloaded TOTK for Yuzu jus cause I was trying out all the emulators on the Ally, that shit looks fucking glorious in 60FPS. I really shoulda waited lmao.

At this point I might cancel my Pikmin 4 preorder and play it on here. Save some coin to play it the optimal way, fuck it. 🤷🏻‍♂️
    I was playing BOTW last night. Runs way better than on og hardware.