Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

***Official Video Games Thread***

Comments

• FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    @MetalCoresades @Rex_Capone420 @Xeno

Anyone have any suggestions for a low/mid range gaming laptop? I'm itching to play strategy and rts games like Xcom, Age of Empires, Civilization, Warcraft, FTL: Faster Than Light, etc. So nothing too graphically intensive but can handle games of that genre. 
    I play on an HP Omen laptop. I spent $2k on it, and it has a 1070, i7, 16GB RAM, so its more mid-high/high end. 
    For older RTS games, like what you mentioned a laptop with a 1060/8GB RAM should be fine. I would def look into the HP Omen. 
    Thanks man. I'll take a look at the Omen
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    I've done a lot of research the past half a year or so and it seems Lenovo Legion is the way to go. That's what I'll be doing in a couple months
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,697 spicy boy
    Im iffy on Lenovo stuff. My brother had a Thinkpad and had nothing but problems with it. 
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,585 spicy boy
    Every lenovo laptop I've ever used has been a huge piece of shit. 

None of them have been gaming laptops, but ive ran through several doing IT at my office and they have all been nothing but problems. 
  • Ace_Deputy_CheezeAce_Deputy_Cheeze Posts: 14,736 jayfacer
    Picked up Zelda AoC, Ghost of Tsushima n 13 Sentinels.
    Deputy_Cheeze's Profile Page Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • EpisodeMnHEpisodeMnH Posts: 4,700 jayfacer
    It might jus be blowing smoke, on some “Our game has SO MUCH CONTENT so please buy it cause you’re definitely getting your money’s worth!”, but a developer of Cyberpunk claims that on his personal save file, he’s played the game for 175 hours, and still hasn’t beat it. If it’s for real that big and takes that long to beat the main fucking game alone, I’m not getting it. There’s such a thing as too long and I’m not dedicating 3 months to one game.
    edited November 2020
    Also, Sackboy is so fucking good. Gets better the further you get. The level design is so damn clever. About 8 1/2 hours in now.
    Also, Sackboy is so fucking good. Gets better the further you get. The level design is so damn clever. About 8 1/2 hours in now.
    I just got to world 3 today. It's really good. 
    I just got to world 3 today. It's really good. 
    Same. Literally on the first level of world 3 rn lol.
    Bugsnax > Spiderman

I haven't played spiderman

Super hype to play Bugsnax after Sackboy. I have it downloaded and ready to go.
    edited November 2020
    @Ace_Deputy_Cheeze So I’m guessing you really like it then? My boy was saying that it might non-ironically be his favorite game of the year. And this is after bashing it and saying “That’s the best Sony can offer at launch?” before it came out lmao.
    The main story is slightly shorter than the witcher. Hes just sand boxing it. 

@Ace_Deputy_Cheeze So I’m guessing you really like it then? My boy was saying that it might non-ironically be his favorite game of the year. And this is after bashing it and saying “That’s the best Sony can offer at launch?” before it came out lmao.
    Yeah, it's fun. Solid 8/10 for me. Pretty unique simple gameplay. Can't really compare it to anything other than a bit like Pokémon snap
    If you like PS2 action platformers like Jak and Daxter or MediEvil, play Pumpkin Jack 

https://youtu.be/64jpUebVFFc
    Arctis Pro w/ GameDAC is $90 off on SteelSeries website rn for $160. Damn near wanna cop a second pair in white. 🤔
    If you use them all the time theres no reason not to have a backup. 
    Yea plus as I previously mentioned, I use them as studio headphones as well, so they get even more wear and tear.
    It’s crazy cause even tho Series X is more powerful than PS5 in pretty much every category, multi platform games are still somehow looking better on PS5. On Digital Foundry’s side by side for Valhalla, it’s not exactly night and day, yet it damn near is, and Series X was very visibly worse in a lot of the clips. Same thing on Watch Dogs Legion. Was flip flopping on which console to grab both on, but I’ll be going PS5 for both.
    edited November 2020
    My only complaint about Sackboy, and it was mentioned in a couple of the reviews I watched too, is that the controls are “floaty”. Idk what better word to use to describe it, but they’re not as responsive and instant as they should be, and Sackboy himself is kinda slow and and lightweight in context of the platformer standard.

The game never truly gets “hard”, but as you get deeper in the game, it obviously ramps up, and I’ve had quite a couple bullshit deaths now that absolutely would not have happened if the game controlled as responsive as Crash 4 does. So it creates false difficulty. I bring up Crash 4 because it and Sackboy are 2 of the recent platformers I’ve played and they’re 2 complete different extremes. Crash 4 controls absolutely flawlessly, but the difficulty comes from ridiculous design, whereas Sackboy can be clunky, and while it’s easy, it’s few frustrating moments wouldn’t even be frustrating if it controlled smoother. A good example is there’s these surfaces made out of wool that Sackboy can grab onto by pressing R2. In most cases, the wool is on spinning wheels that you grab onto and swing, and then launch off of. If you press R2 to grab it AS you make contact, which would be the natural response, you will bounce off and fall to your death 10 times out of 10 like I did. Quick workaround is pressing it a split second before you land, which worked every time. But since the nature of platformers in itself is real time reactions, nothing should be delayed like that. Either way tho, the game is leisurely enough that it never comes as a major detriment, cause if a platformer like Crash was like that, it would absolutely break the game, but it’s still a lil disappointing.