Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

YOU KNOW WHAT REALLY GRINDS MY GEARS? (NSFW)

Comments

• EpisodeEpisode Posts: 32,049 destroyer of motherfuckers
    dranyam said:
    Yeah Iv never understood people that think they could get something like that for free lol. Do you charge the same amount for studio as you do mixing?  If you do maybe you could bump one of them up 5 bucks. That way when someone asks you can say "studio time is 20 an hour and mastering is 25 an hour. 
    Yea as of right now it's $15 an hour flat rate for the entire process. So if it takes you an hour to record and 3 hours of mixing and mastering, that's still only $60 for a finished song. That ain't shit and mfs still wanna catch an attitude.
    If anything the mixing and mastering is WHAT I'm chargin for. I don't gotta do shit but sit there and press a button for them to record. The engineering is the actual work smh.
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,596 spicy boy
    Yeah for sure. I was just thinking now you could say that just so that right off the bat there is that disclaimer. Might hurt business though idk. 
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,282 mod
    My nigga hustling. Get that bread

edited October 2016
    dranyam said:
    You should also find some kind of legal documents that would hold up if someone developed a hit. You don't want to get screwed on not having some rights to a song. It would suck to produce a song that made someone a big hit and only make like 80 bucks from it haha. 
    Doesn't really work like that. Engineers, even in the major music industry, don't get royalty checks. They make major paper of course, but that's cause when you recordin artists like Drake or Justin Bieber, they're literally makin $1K+ per hour. I read the liner notes of The Weeknd's last album and found one of the studios' websites, and it's open for anybody to record at, not only famous artists, so I could record there, but it's $1,500 an hour. They easily make over 6 figures on a single album workin wit big artists.

But since engineers have nothin to do wit the actual composition of the song, whether it be production of the beat, writing, composition, performance, etc. they don't legally have to get cut in on the royalties. It's strictly split between anybody who took part in the composition. Even if it's someone who lended one single lyric line to the song, he would get royalties. The engineer wouldn't.

The only exception to this would be if I produced the beat the artist recorded on, and then also engineered it, I'd be entitled to royalties. But only cause of producing it, not engineering it.
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,706 spicy boy
    Episode said:
    Jus started doin studio sessions 2 weeks ago and clients already got me fucked up.

Mf had the nerve to catch an attitude and call me greedy cause I said mixing and mastering is by the hour too. He was under the assumption that the hourly fee was recording time only and that I mix and master the tracks on my own time. For free. The actual engineering step is the most time consuming one. :|

Like mf have you never been to a studio before? There ain't a studio on the planet that does free mixing and mastering.
    Youd be surprised how many people have thay mindset. 

There was a band looking to record with me. I told them I charge $20 an hour plus studio fees. The studio I could have available charges $30 an hour, so theyd have to pay $50 an hour, with a three hour minimum. So $150 total for a 5 person band. They wanted to do it for $20 flat. :|  Im like good luck getting good recordings for $20. 
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
    Episode said:
    dranyam said:
    You should also find some kind of legal documents that would hold up if someone developed a hit. You don't want to get screwed on not having some rights to a song. It would suck to produce a song that made someone a big hit and only make like 80 bucks from it haha. 
    Doesn't really work like that. Engineers, even in the major music industry, don't get royalty checks. They make major paper of course, but that's cause when you recordin artists like Drake or Justin Bieber, they're literally makin $1K+ per hour. I read the liner notes of The Weeknd's last album and found one of the studios' websites, and it's open for anybody to record at, not only famous artists, so I could record there, but it's $1,500 an hour. They easily make over 6 figures on a single album workin wit big artists.

But since engineers have nothin to do wit the actual composition of the song, whether it be production of the beat, writing, composition, performance, etc. they don't legally have to get cut in on the royalties. It's strictly split between anybody who took part in the composition. Even if it's someone who lended one single lyric line to the song, he would get royalties. The engineer wouldn't.

The only exception to this would be if I produced the beat the artist recorded on, and then also engineered it, I'd be entitled to royalties. But only cause of producing it, not engineering it.
    Ahhh ok. Yeah I didn't think it fully through. That makes sense though. 
    dranyam said:
    Yeah for sure. I was just thinking now you could say that just so that right off the bat there is that disclaimer. Might hurt business though idk. 
    Won't hurt business wit any artist that knows the bare minimum basics of the music industry. I mean it's common sense. From the very first time I went to an actual studio I knew I'd be payin for the mixing and mastering as well. I didn't expect to walk in, record, and say "Aight well send that to me when it's done." That's ignorant lol. Not only that but I loved sittin in on the engineering process. For one, I'm extremely picky so I was always very hands on wit my engineers, and for two it was great secondhand learning experience.

And if it does lose me any business those are clients I don't need. Go get it done by your boy for $10 and have it sound like shit. Don't phase me. =))
    Episode said:
    Jus started doin studio sessions 2 weeks ago and clients already got me fucked up.

Mf had the nerve to catch an attitude and call me greedy cause I said mixing and mastering is by the hour too. He was under the assumption that the hourly fee was recording time only and that I mix and master the tracks on my own time. For free. The actual engineering step is the most time consuming one. :|

Like mf have you never been to a studio before? There ain't a studio on the planet that does free mixing and mastering.

There was a band looking to record with me. I told them I charge $20 an hour plus studio fees. The studio I could have available charges $30 an hour, so theyd have to pay $50 an hour, with a three hour minimum. So $150 total for a 5 person band. They wanted to do it for $20 flat. :|  Im like good luck getting good recordings for $20. 
    They wanted $20 flat for 3 hours for a 5 piece band...? :|
    edited October 2016
    Episode said:
    dranyam said:

Engineers CAN get royalties. The recording is its own intellectual property. So while you wouldnt get song writing royalties, you get royalties off the specific recording, and can claim things like mechanicals, and sync licenses if you're with a publishing company. Most of the time tracking engineers dont, but producers do, and mixing/mastering engineers can. Really depends on the contract. 

There is also a bill being passed that will give engineers royalties for songs digitally distrubuted. 
    Episode said:
    Episode said:

They wanted $20 flat for 3 hours for a 5 piece band...? :|
    Yea. And then they went a bought a monthy room, paying $600 a month to practice here :| So they have money. 
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    jesus 600 a month of a practice space is fucking crazy. I thought sj prices were bad
    slap said:
    jesus 600 a month of a practice space is fucking crazy. I thought sj prices were bad
    Our prices range from around $500 to over $1000. We offer both practice rooms, and production suites. 

Our hourly prices are $7 per person per hour with a $18 minimum. 
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    The K-8 got hit by a bunch of racist pro-trump graffiti last night. Obviously it's because it's a bilingual Spanish/English school with a dense latino student body. This the America my little brother is growing up in. I'm fucking mad. 
    edited October 2016
    7.50 for a Sierra Nevada on the train fuck ky 
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    Been hitting a shit state of mind for the past few months
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    edited October 2016
    Comfort eating or just not as active? my friend and I are opposites in that I over eat when things get rough while he deprives himself from of food. He looks like a crackhead and I turn into Fat Albert. 
    image Photobucket
    I dont know a single person who isnt depressed. Like I think its just the neutral human state