Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

YOU KNOW WHAT REALLY GRINDS MY GEARS? (NSFW)

Comments

• WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Why's that funny? That's the name of it... Should I have said "I lost a plastic electronic thing that has flash memory on it?"
    I didnt lose a flash drive or a USB drive though :| I lost a Sony Memory Stick as pictured here

• TyrantTyrant Posts: 2,850 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Ill admit it's a little dated, but it worked fine for what I was using it for, and I had no reason to go and replace something that is working. Well actually scratch that, I did actually for my birthday last march get a low profile thumb drive that is 64 GB and USB3.... Just been too lazy to start using it.
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,610 spicy boy
    Yeah, iv always heard them referred to as SD Cards.
  • TyrantTyrant Posts: 2,850 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I didnt lose a flash drive or a USB drive though :| I lost a Sony Memory Stick as pictured here

We call those SD cards now. I use em too
    This is actually an SD card

Notice on the graphic that it says "SD HC"? an SD card is a competing technology where SD stands for Secure Digital.

Technically SD card also isnt a Memory Stick, although it is a more similar technology.  Memory Stick is also is not compatible with SD. Memory Stick was a propitiatory format created by Sony. 

Let me give you guys an analogy here. It's like if I had a HD-DVD for my Xbox360, and then I said "Sucks... I just broke my favorite HD-DVD movie!" And then Rex pipes up and says "Uhhh... actually wake - It's just called a DVD". and I respond with "No rex, it's called a HD-DVD. It's High definition movies"  and then MC pipes up "Well I just always called those Blu-Ray" and then I respond "Yes... It's closer to Blu-Ray, but still technically a different product. I can't play my HD-DVD movies in my Blu-Ray player :|" That's like literally the conversation we are having.

No I didn't lose my SD card... I literally lost my Sony Memory Stick as shown in the picture I posted.
    edited July 2015
    dude memory stick is just the name sony gave its brand

stfu
    dude memory stick is just the name sony gave its brand

stfu
    Memory Stick is not compatible with a SD drive. Go stick a memory stick in an SD drive and tell me what it does... Hint It wont work. :|

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_Stick

and to further drive home the point from the article...

" Kingston offers universal microSD to Memory Stick Pro Duo adapters, but these are unofficial"

Or

" Many claim this development as the end of the format war between Memory Stick and SD card."

or from format war wikipedia -

• Memory cards, a four-way contest: CompactFlash vs. Memory Stick vs. MultiMediaCard (MMC) / Secure Digital card (SD) vs. SmartMedia. The format war became a five-way contest with the introduction of xD-Picture Card in the next decade, although by then SmartMedia was falling into disuse. This ongoing contest is complicated by the existence of multiple variants of the various formats. Some of these, such as miniSD / microSD, are compatible with their parent formats, while current generations of Memory Sticks break compatibility with the original format. After SD was introduced in 1999, it eventually won the war in the early 2000s decade when companies that had exclusively supported other formats in the past, such as Fujifilm, Olympus and Sony, began to use SD card in their products.

So If I had lost one of these Rex

Would you also be calling that an SD card? Or is that a USB thumb drive? What exactly should I call this CompactFlash card?
    Its literally an alternative to SD storage created by sony so they could have their own memory to sell with their own products. The only difference is their shape. 

Kill yourself 
    edited July 2015
    Its literally an alternative to SD storage created by sony so they could have their own memory to sell with their own products. The only difference is their shape. 

Kill yourself 
    I'm not debating that it isnt very similar to other products. It is, and it was stupid that Sony tried to win a format war with it instead of just embracing SD. Hell I would be much happier if my Sony PSP took SD cards instead of Memory Stick.

Regardless... I didn't lose an SD card. Nor did I lose a Compact Flash Card. Also didn't lose a USB thumb Drive. I literally lost a Memory Stick which is why I said it grinds my gears that I lost it. Thats all. You are the one who wanted to try and tell me I lost something different. 
    Yeah, well you're old as fuck so you should have said "sony memory stick"

Being old as fuck saying memory stick makes it sound like you are just using a general term.

Sorry you buy shit electronics doe
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    I got a nosebleed just glossing over this argument 
    I'm just fucking with wake.

While they are pretty much the same i know the difference. I also knew that if it was disputed wake would pull the first pages he found on google and follow them up with a nice paragraph.
    Hate to mention it, but it was actually a Lexar... Here is the exact model and size I had before I lost it. The image I posted before I just searched for Memory Stick because I didn't think you cared about the manufacturer of the product.

I know... Seems weird that Lexar would make Sony's format device, However if Sony had won that format war then all memory card manufacturers would be making them. Had I said Sony Memory Stick, that also wouldnt have been accurate

:)