Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

YOU KNOW WHAT REALLY GRINDS MY GEARS? (NSFW)

Comments

• Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,610 spicy boy
    i could have fixed it in probably an hour or two
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    And Ive had Best Buy lookin at it like 6 times, their engineers cant fix it either, so fuck yall
    Best Buy tech support may have a couple of guys that might know what they are doing, but it is most certainly not because of anything Best Buy did and the majority of people they hire are minimum wage idiots. In general Best Buy employes are slightly better with computers than my mom, and my mom still refers to her computer as the "Solitaire box" :|

The number of calls I have received from that women that starts with "Joel- The solitaire box is not working again"

Wake def knows what hes talking about here, but lets be clear. MC's problem on a 1-10 difficulty is like a 2. It's def a minor league issue. 
    yeah. I wasn't trying to make it seem like his issue was Rocket Science. Difficulty level of 2 sounds about right.

Im not an electrical engineer or programmer yo :-|
    Right. which is why I was giving you a few simple tips. I wasn't shitting on you for not knowing how to do them.
    Im only shitting on him beacause all this bitching and he hasn't even run any diagnostic tests himself =)) =)) =)
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,715 spicy boy
    Yes I have :-|
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
    I have some friends with some pointers. Judging by the error message its either driver failure or RAM failure. I just finished all my updates. Now Im going to use a driver program and run a windows driver test. If it passes/fixes a problem, and I still have issues. I know I should try reseating my RAM
    Yes... I was going to say either Ram or hard drive. Both of these are easy to replace... Or should be. Before you go replacing stuff though, do this first :

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/test-your-ram-with-windows-memory-diagnostic-tool/

That will tell you if you have RAM issues. Next run scandisk. here are the steps :
    1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk drive you want to check.
    2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
    3. In Error-checking, click Check Now.
    4. Defrag

Also here is a link to some good harddrive testers. read the article and then pick one (I might go with Seatools but I didnt read the whole article.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

There is a possibility it is something else too. but let me know what these three things tell you. Then I can give you better advice.

These? Because you should have done this before even bringing it to best buy. 

So im doing what you said, but my harddrives ate partitioned. Do I force a dismount?
    no. that doesnt matter. it's just like this

click that "check now" box. and then after that is done clock the "defragment now" box. Since it is a clean install the second box shouldnt be a big deal. But do the check now first.

if you have your drive partitioned so it looks like two drives in the picture above... then do that process for both partitions. This doesn't do anything bad to your pc. It doesnt change anything. It just checks for physical errors in the drive and other potential problems.
    I get error messages saying my harddrives need to unused and dismounted. 

additionally, now my trackpad is no longer two-finger scrolling. a minor annoyance, but annoying nonetheless. Its an ELAN PS/2-X64 smart pad for a Samsung NP700G7C-S01US laptop.
    Had to schule a boot scan and restart my comp to get it to work
    Yeah... sorry. I should have mentioned that. It does that for your windows install. You did it correctly... Schedule and restart and it runs
    edited July 2015
    If it doesnt automatically run when you reboot (it might give you some menu that says "start recovery, start restore, yadda yadda, cmd prompt), then you chose command prompt. You need to figure out which one is your install drive (not always C) so do that by doing

dir c:
    dir d:

Just look for a "Users"  or "windows" folder in one of those two places... Then where ever that was then just type

chkdsk /r d:

assuming that d: is where your boot drive was.

additionally, now my trackpad is no longer two-finger scrolling. a minor annoyance, but annoying nonetheless. Its an ELAN PS/2-X64 smart pad for a Samsung NP700G7C-S01US laptop.
    This is probably fixed by installing an updated driver for it.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/NP700G7C-S01US

figure out from here where to get updated drivers. Probably best to update all drivers to their latest release. That's what I'd do.

figure out from here where to get updated drivers. Probably best to update all drivers to their latest release. That's what I'd do.

I have that SW update, and I ran all of the driver updates. It says the ELAN touchpad driver is updated to the latest version. Additionally, in the mouse driver it says its fully updated. Still issues. 

If it doesnt automatically run when you reboot (it might give you some menu that says "start recovery, start restore, yadda yadda, cmd prompt), then you chose command prompt. You need to figure out which one is your install drive (not always C) so do that by doing

dir c:
    dir d:

Just look for a "Users"  or "windows" folder in one of those two places... Then where ever that was then just type

chkdsk /r d:

assuming that d: is where your boot drive was.
    it ran on reboot. its my C drive. but it didn't give me a report. 
    It's been awhile since I ran that... Ill run it on my home PC tonight and check. Not giving you a report probably just means your HD looks good. Did you do the memory check?

I have that SW update, and I ran all of the driver updates. It says the ELAN touchpad driver is updated to the latest version. Additionally, in the mouse driver it says its fully updated. Still issues. 
    okay. probably not enabled by default then after you did your reinstall. Try something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QlMWb9F_eo

last question... did you do this (which was in that link i posted and requires a restart)

Step 1: Open the Start Menu and type in mdsched.exe, then press enter.

Step 2. A pop-up will appear on your screen, asking how you'd like to go about checking the memory. The first option will restart your machine and check the memory right now, and the second option checks the next time you choose to reboot. Pick the option that best suits your needs.

Step 3: Your computer will load a screen that shows the progress of the check and number of passes it will run on the memory. Watch the memory diagnostic tool for errors. If there are no errors, then it's likely that your RAM is not causing any issues, and it's time to investigate other hardware or software issues.