Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

All hell is about to break loose. (College football news)

Comments

• GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    I didn't really think about this until I read it today.

When it comes down to breaking the Big Ten down into two divisions, they have to factor in a lot of things like how good the team is and how big the team is in the conference. The comissioner said it was likely that Michigan and OSU would be broken up, but could still play every year...but if they did, there would be a chance of playing twice a year if they both made it to the championship. Of course, Michigan would need to win more than one conference game though.
    image Photobucket
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,721 mod
    There is still a good chance Michigan and Ohio State stay together. How stupid would it be for them to face off in the last game of the season, then face off one more time in the conference championship game, possibly the very next week? It doesn't make much sense. I think it would be best to put Michigan, Ohio State, and MSU in one division and fuck around with the rest.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    Would this be a little lopsided?
    Photobucket
    image Photobucket
    North: Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Minnesota

South: Nebraska, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Ohio State, Penn State

Even though the article I read said geography wasn't part of the plan...
    image Photobucket
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy
    i kind of expect michigan and nebraska to be in the same division for some reason
    Would this be a little lopsided?
    Photobucket
    Just a little. I think Nebraska and Penn State need to be in the other division with Wisconsin, then it's fair.

And geography could play a role in this, but how much, I don't know.
  • TiddyTiddy Posts: 365
    USF! USF! USF!
    Heeeeeeeeere we go...

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- The NCAA has accused West Virginia's football program of five major and one secondary rules violations from 2005 to 2009, including under former coach Rich Rodriguez.

The allegations released Thursday allege student managers, graduate assistants and others worked with football players on their skills and techniques in violation of NCAA limits. The alleged violations occurred under both Rodriguez and current coach Bill Stewart.

The allegations say both Rodriguez and Stewart failed to promote an atmosphere of compliance. The NCAA made similar accusations against Rodriguez during an earlier, separate investigation at Michigan.

West Virginia athletic director Oliver Luck said Thursday that WVU has fully cooperated with the NCAA.

"West Virginia University has always prided itself on its commitment to compliance," Luck said in a statement. "We take this responsibility very seriously. I know that our coaches and staff are fully supportive of these obligations."

The NCAA has interviewed more than 80 people during the past nine months, Luck said. The NCAA arrived on West Virginia's campus in April following its investigation into Rodriguez's practices at Michigan.

Luck said West Virginia has already taken strides to avoid further improprieties, including reducing the number of football staff members and restructuring the student manager program. The school also came up with new guidelines for which tasks non-coaching assistants could and could not perform. Luck said West Virginia may impose other measures in the wake of the NCAA's notice.

Stewart became West Virginia's head coach in 2008, taking over for Rodriguez, who left for Michigan after the 2007 season. Under Rodriguez, the Wolverines are being investigated by the NCAA for five potentially major rules violations, including those limiting the time spent on practice and football-related activities.

In May, Michigan self-imposed a reduction in the number of assistants -- so-called quality control staff -- from five to three and banned the assistants from practices, games and coaching meetings for the rest of the coming season.

Michigan admitted that not only had players put in too many hours, but also that too many people were acting as coaches. The school said non-coaches had crossed the line in specific situations and engaged in coaching activities as defined by the NCAA.

"There was absolutely no intent by this coach or any of his assistant coaches to hide anything from compliance," Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon said in May. "We disagree, I disagree, that Rich failed to provide an atmosphere of compliance. Rich has a history of following the rules."

Rodriguez said in a statement that he has always taken compliance seriously and "sincerely felt our program was open and transparent."

"I regret any mistakes that were made or rules that were misinterpreted," he said. "Any errors certainly weren't made intentionally. I openly discussed my past practices with NCAA investigators and will continue to cooperate fully during this process.

"I have redoubled efforts with my staff and our compliance team to improve several processes, strengthen communications and work to ensure these mistakes wont happen in the future," he said.

Brandon said there will be no change in Rodriguez's job status as a result of Thursday's NCAA announcements.

"We're not part of the inquiry at WVU and we have limited access to the information pertaining to this investigation," Brandon said. "We're certainly paying close attention to the situation, but we all need to let the process and the facts unfold before we draw any conclusions. I'm not going to speculate about any aspect of the outcome.

"I've already said Rich is our coach this fall and WVU's announcement does not change that fact."

Among the NCAA's allegations involving West Virginia:

• Between the 2005-06 and 2007-08 seasons, non-coaching staff members monitored and/or conducted skill-development activities with football players at least two days a week in the spring and summer.

• Between the 2005-06 and 2007-08 seasons, non-coaching staff members sometimes analyzed video with football players.

• From 2005-06 to 2007-08, non-coaching staff members sat in on coaches' meetings that they were not allowed to attend.

• From 2007-08 to 2009-10, non-coaching staff members did the above and also provided advice and/or corrections to players pertaining to technique and plays.

The NCAA also wants to know if West Virginia believes Rodriguez and/or Stewart knew or should have known of the violations and/or that they were violations of NCAA rules.

"I have spoken at length to Coach Bill Stewart and his staff and I am convinced that they believe in operating a fully compliant football program. Coach Stewart and his coaches have my full support, the full support of the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics and the full support of the university."
  • PraisetheUPraisetheU Posts: 130
    Ok, random thought, anyone who still considers UM Thug U can shut the hell up, not one violation meanwhile every other team has something up.
    Preseason top 25

1 Alabama (54)
    2 Ohio State (3)
    3 Boise State (1)
    4 Florida
    5 Texas (1)
    6 TCU
    7 Oklahoma (1)
    8 Nebraska
    9 Iowa
    10 Virginia Tech
    11 Oregon
    12 Wisconsin
    13 Miami (FL)
    14 USC
    15 Pittsburgh
    16 Georgia Tech
    17 Arkansas
    18 North Carolina
    19 Penn State
    20 Florida State
    21 LSU
    22 Auburn
    23 Georgia
    24 Oregon State
    25 West Virginia
  • PraisetheUPraisetheU Posts: 130
    Miami 13? Good, I like that, some magazines put us number 4. FUCK THAT. That goes straight to the kids heads. Excited for the season, Seantrel Henderson, Ray Ray Armsrong, Lamar Miller, Storm Johnson, Jordan Futch, Jacory and Brandon Harris, Aldarius Johnson, Damien Berry, Colin McCarthy, season looks promising.
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy
    preseason rankings are all bullshit...they should just wait till about week six
    preseason rankings are all bullshit...they should just wait till about week six
    They're all just numbers at the end of the day.
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    The NCAA are a bunch of fucking hypocrites. The strip bush of his Heisman 5 years after he won it for taking money, but then turn the other cheek for Cam Newton doing the exact same bullshit? Oh yeah... he found the loop. He didnt know his dad was taking 200 grand for him to play at VT. So it's cool to take money if you don't "know" about it. Yeah he was probably sitting in the room when they handed him the briefcase, but he was watching Real World and eating fried chicken. fuck them

and fuck the NCAA for now trying to take the Trojans 2004 title away for something that every fucking team does. [-(

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-ncaa-uscchampionships
    Now that the NCAA has denied Southern California’s appeal to reduce sanctions imposed on its football program, Bowl Championship Series officials will consider whether to strip the Trojans of their 2004 title.

BCS executive director Bill Hancock says there is no timetable for that decision, but he expected it to happen “sooner, rather than later.”
    FILE - In this Oct. 15, 2005, file photo, Southern California 's Reggie Bush outruns Notre Dame defenders on his way to a touchdown during an NCAA college football game in South Bend, Ind. The NCAA has rejected Southern California's appeal to reduce the sanctions imposed last year on its storied football program, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. The NCAA ruled Heisman Trophy-winner Bush and basketball player O.J. Mayo had received improper benefits under the administration of athletic director Mike Garrett, football coach Pete Carroll and basketball coach Tim Floyd, who have all left the university. Bush gave back his Heisman Trophy two months after USC removed its replica of the trophy and Bush's jersey from places of honor in Heritage Hall. AP Photo/Michael Conroy, file)

The championship would be left vacant and not awarded to another team.

USC won the 2004 national championship by beating Oklahoma 55-19 in the Orange Bowl to complete a perfect season. The NCAA later ruled Trojans star Reggie Bush had received improper benefits and was ineligible for that season.

Auburn and Utah also finished the ’04 season unbeaten.

The AP will not vacate the championship it awarded USC for 2004.
  • The NCAA are a bunch of fucking hypocrites. The strip bush of his Heisman 5 years after he won it for taking money, but then turn the other cheek for Cam Newton doing the exact same bullshit? Oh yeah... he found the loop. He didnt know his dad was taking 200 grand for him to play at VT. So it's cool to take money if you don't "know" about it. Yeah he was probably sitting in the room when they handed him the briefcase, but he was watching Real World and eating fried chicken. fuck them

and fuck the NCAA for now trying to take the Trojans 2004 title away for something that every fucking team does. [-(

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-ncaa-uscchampionships
    Whoa, whoa, whoa whoa, whoa, that was NOT VT. That was Auburn.

VT only lets quarterbacks who are capable of brutally murdering dogs start...
    I'm going to law school, bitches!
    Auburn isn't out of the woods yet.

These penalties for USC make me think Ohio State is going to get absolutely nailed for their bullshit, but the NCAA is so inconsistent with its rulings it's hard to say....
    oh... My bad on the VT thing. Yeah Aurburn. I can never keep track of those over rated East Coast teams :-))
    Until Cam has his Heisman stripped the NCAA can go FUCK THEMSELVES
  • Chicken_FuckerChicken_Fucker Posts: 15,691 destroyer of motherfuckers
    who is your team wake?