Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Five Albums That Changed Your Life

Comments

• ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    edited August 2012
    Don't feel like typing out reasons right now

1) Megadeth - Rust In Peace
    2) Death - Trapped In A Corner
    3) In Flames - Clayman
    4) Rage Against The Machine - Self Titled
    5) All that Remains - Fall Of Ideals
    inb4lists
  • jagjag Posts: 5,033 destroyer of motherfuckers

So, you want symphonic and atmospheric?

Progressive/Atmospheric Black Metal from Australia
    Ne Obliviscaris - Tapestry of the Starless Abstract

Jorm, even tho you never post here anymore, it's cool to see you were dropping this 2 years ago. It's amusing to me how everyone is jerking off to them this year out of nowhere.
  • fucketh_thine_selffucketh_thine_self Posts: 3,363 just the tip
    whatever happened to jorm? he needs to come back. he was one of very few people who knew his shit.
    plus he listened to classical music
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    edited August 2012

2) Death - Trapped In A Corne

<_>
    jag said:

So, you want symphonic and atmospheric?

Progressive/Atmospheric Black Metal from Australia
    Ne Obliviscaris - Tapestry of the Starless Abstract

Jorm, even tho you never post here anymore, it's cool to see you were dropping this 2 years ago. It's amusing to me how everyone is jerking off to them this year out of nowhere.
    Not really out of nowhere. Their debut album came out this year. People pay more attention to albums than demos. But yeah, props to Jorm. He's always been a cool guy.
  • jagjag Posts: 5,033 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I know it's a crime to check out underground stuff, but their demo (from what I've always gathered) was pretty popular. I agree 100% with the people pay more attention to albums than demos, but in the 4-5 years since they released the demo, they seemed to be gathering a name for themselves already.

I wanna say I found out about them thru Arthur from Cormorant several years ago on Last Fm.
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    Jorm got me interested in black metal. Then I got in through Lantlos when Decibel praised the new (2010) album, and that got me into black metal.
    I love winning with women
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    can we even call them demos now...or are they mixtapes? :-?
  • sbs_willsbs_will Posts: 18,648 salt miner
    edited August 2012
    1. Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses - Slipknot
    2. 13 Ways to Bleed Onstage - Cold
    3. In Sorte Diaboli - Dimmu Borgir
    4. The Downward Spiral - Nine Inch Nails
    5. Antichrist Superstar - Marilyn Manson
  • TravisTravis Posts: 4,971 balls deep
    Episode said:

Number one isn't an album, just a song, but every bit as important as an entire album to me.

#1: Ozzy Osbourne - Bark At The Moon
    The song that got me into Metal and turned me into who I am today. 'Nuff said.

Can't think of a fifth right now.

Oh, the humanity.....
  • TravisTravis Posts: 4,971 balls deep
    "you just didn't see bands like this before 'vulgar display'. pantera were the first band to really harness the solidarity/strength message of hardcore with the heaviness of metal. the thrash bands took the speed and fury of punk, but still had a lot of demons and sorcery in the lyrics. the crossover bands like d.r.i. weren't all that heavy, but had some of the metal structures and guitar solos. imo, pantera was a sea change for both genres. nowadays, every hardcore band shouts and roars while a legion of metal bands tuned down and bought randall amps. it's because pantera got it so, so right on this album. sacred reich, corrosion of conformity, sepultura and helmet immediately gained tons of relevancy in the wake of 'vulgar'. they pretty much birthed the ozzfest generation." - SO fucking true....especially the last sentence.
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy
    I don't see how an album can have such a profound impact on your life that it changes it a lot...maybe one album but not 5 whole ones.

If i had to pick one it would probably be Lateralus just for the fact that it changed the way i looked at the world...made me want to think outside the box more....question things a lot more
  • KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer
    1. The Calling-Camino Palmero: Got me out of pop music.

2. Finch-What It Is To Burn: Got me into "screaming vocals".

3. Mudvayne-The End of All Things To Come: Made me pay attention to lyrics

4. Shinedown-Leave A Whisper: Pure awesomeness. Helped me through a lot of difficult stuff.

5. Machine Head-Through The Ashes of Empires: Same as Shinedown.

Honorable mentions:

As I Lay Dying-Frail Words Collapse & Shadows Are Security
    Avenged Sevenfold-Waken The Fallen
    Lifehouse-No Name Face
    Norther-N
    Satyricon-Volcano
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    rexum420 said:

I don't see how an album can have such a profound impact on your life that it changes it a lot...maybe one album but not 5 whole ones.

If i had to pick one it would probably be Lateralus just for the fact that it changed the way i looked at the world...made me want to think outside the box more....question things a lot more

I can't think of any albums that have changed my life, I took it as changing my views of music.
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    Lol at mudvayne reasoning
    The lyrics on that album are beautiful.
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    In Britt's defense (but mainly on the subject in general), some albums by bands like Manson and Slipknot that I listened to in high school and shit blew my mind in part due to the lyrics. Looking back on those, they were pretty good, but really nothing special... but they made me pay attention to lyrics more as well. That's a big reason why I appreciate The Haunted, Tool, Nachtmystium, etc over just regular highschoolcore mallrat metal.
    I love winning with women
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    I didnt say it was a bad reason :-??
    Before I heard that Mudvayne album, I was into poppunk, like Mest and Goldfinger and Good Charlotte. It made me realize that there is more to a song than just being catchy.
  • GuruGuru Posts: 2,089 juggalo
    The Beatles- Sgt. Pepper
    Black Sabbath-Paranoid
    The Grateful Dead-Europe 72
    Bob Marley-Exodus
    Lynyrd Skynyrd-Second Helpings
    8-X
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    edited August 2012
    Smash Mouth - Astro Lounge: First album ever.
    Avenged Sevenfold - City of Evil: Before this I was strictly rap unless I was listening to our local classic rock radio station
    Iron Maiden - Death on the Road: A) Started my love of Iron Maiden. B) Started my love of live cd's.
    The Killers - Hot Fuss: Not much to say here. Great album, I like Sam's Town better this Hot Fuss came first.
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium: Looking for a fifth I came up with this...just by saying it like that I feel like I can hardly call it a life changer. Still, one of first albums I bought when I really started listening to music a lot...and I listened to this thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.
    image Photobucket