Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Five Albums That Changed Your Life

Comments

• zuke2323zuke2323 Posts: 263 juggalo
    Oooh good topic...

These are NOT in order of importance:

Avenged Sevenfold - City of Evil: I don't listen to A7X anymore as their sound (even the stuff I used to like) just doesn't appeal to me now, but this IS the album that changed me from rap to metal (City of Evil isn't metal, but you get my point). I heard Beast and the Harlot and thought it was incredible, then downloaded the whole album and was stunned at how good it was. The guitar was absolutely incredible and the vocals really appealed to me. Oh to be 15 again :)

Children of Bodom - Follow the Reaper: When I first heard this album I was still into metalcore (All That Remains, Shadows Fall, etc), but I was looking for something better/heavier. I remember telling my brother after hearing this album that "this is the pinnacle of music". The guitar/synth combo, the speed, the aggressiveness, it was all so amazing. Still think this is a good album, but not the pinnacle of music lol. But nonetheless it put my metalcore to shame, and I began to listen to metalcore less and less after hearing this album.

Amon Amarth - Twilight of The Thundergod: When I heard the opening riff to the title track I was immediately hooked. It was the first album I had heard with vocals that deep and harsh (holy shit that was only 2 years ago, I can't believe how rapidly my tastes have molded and evolved), and I remember being slightly off-put by them, but the riffs were so damn amazing that I couldn't stop listening, and eventually begun to enjoy the vocals. I really credit this (and Follow the Reaper) with opening the door to extreme metal for me, as well as moving me away from metalcore. I never made a conscious decision to stop listening to metalcore, it's just that I discovered music that was so much better and that I enjoyed so much more that it just happened gradually without my even being fully aware of it.

Symphony X - The Odyssey: It was incredible to me that something could be so beautiful and majestic yet still be heavy. Russell Allen's incredibly powerful vocals, Michael Romeo's awesome guitar work, and the amazing keyboard/synth work introduced me to the progressive side of metal, and I loved it.

I think I would by lying if I threw a fifth album in here, these 4 are the only ones that I can say changed my life.

• PraisetheUPraisetheU Posts: 130
    Ramones - Greatest Hits, yeah yeah its a greatest hits album, but still it got me into punk.
    Sex Pistols - Nevermind the Bollocks, Heres's the Sex Pistols
    System Of A Down - Steal This Album
    Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar
    Iron Maiden - Powerslave
  • laurjohn2laurjohn2 Posts: 6,951 balls deep
    1. KISS - Love Gun - First Hard rock album i ever got. if it wasn't for this album, i would have gotten into disco in the late 70's
    2. Metallica - Master of Puppets - got me into metal and into playing bass in different bands
    3. Def Leppard - Pyromania - got me out of break dancing
    4. Metallica - black album - got me thru boot camp
    5. Nirvana - Nevermind - Gave me a hatred for grunge and everything it represents
  • AdamAdam Posts: 11,533 balls deep
    1. Linkin Park hybrid theory this was the first kind of metal cd i ever heard
    i use to jam on this fucker everyday.

2.Machine Head The Blackening this was the first album
    that got me into long ass songs fucking great album.

3.Stone Sour S/t this was the first heavy album i ever heard
    great album still love it to this day.

4. Chimaira The Infection one of my favorite albums
    ever got me into this band more and still one of my favorite bands
    out there today. also got me into heavier shit

5. Lamb Of God Sacrament i remember my mom
    wouldn't let me buy this but i did anyway so glad i did
    this fucking album got me into metal for life.
  • SantanaSantana Posts: 16,743 juggalo
    ^ same with your #1
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy
    i really dont have any music that changed my life.....i have cd's that got me into heavy music and what not.....but nothing in music has changed the way i live my everyday life
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    edited May 2010
    1. The Heart of Saturday Night - Tom Waits - Though it might not be his best album, this album changed everything i knew about music. It was like the first time i read Bukowski, just completely different from anything else I ever heard. I found an old record player in my house and decided to hook it up. The first album I played was this one and it completely took me away. To me there is two types of music fans, Tom Waits fans and and people who havent heard tom waits yet, and i dont really care to much for the latter....

2.American Recordings - Johnny Cash -My dad bought this cassette before a big road trip and it was the first time I actually felt the music. Every song goes right down to your core and although the album is full of almost all covers, JC definitely makes the songs his own...

3.The freewheelin' Bob Dylan - Bob Dylan - There is nothing to say about Bob Dylan that hasnt already been said, but when I first gave this album a chance it showed me how important the lyrical side to music really is. Since this album, I have always been more lyrically focused in music and I dont think thats changing anytime soon...

4.The Doors - The Doors - Once I heard the song "The End" for the first time I knew that my interpretation of what a song was is now forever different. This album was the first album to take me to another place...

5.NOLA - Down - Still my favorite metal album to date, this cd is filled with everything I love in a band. Th southern style it has mixed with a hard rock/metal sound to me is just the perfect combination. I personally love the culture and traditions of the City of New Orleans and this album just completely encompasses the contemporary view of that culture. I know some might laugh, but I just feel that Phil Anselmo understands what music is about and what it should be used for. Sometimes just by the way people talk you can sense that they "get it" in a way, and thats how I feel with Phil.....

6.Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen - Fuck it I need six because this album needs to be added. Coming from a family of die hard bruce fans, this album was inevitable, but it doesnt change how important it was. I feel there is two forms of Bruce and its sad that people only focus on the weaker form. His stronger form, when he was younger, showed how he was one of the greatest songwriters of his time, greatest showsman of his time, and flat out one of the greatest artists of his time. Though all three of his first albums are amazing, this one is the real reason im proud to say im a bruce fan...

im suprised nobody said the beatles yet....i couldnt think of one beatles album that changed my life lol, ive been listening to them since i was 6. how does ur life change as a 6 year old lol
    Post edited by NolaFree810 on
  • Its_Meh_ChewIts_Meh_Chew Posts: 7,380 just the tip
    hmmmmmmm this is hard
    1.Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake- This was the first time i got to hear and really appreciate the harsher vocals and the heavier music, and they actually played 'laid to rest' on fucking mainstreme hard rock radio, granted it was still a vote/call in show, but still
    2.Dream Theater - Train of Thought- got me into the prog, and really the first times that a 10+minute song could be awesome
    3.Pink Floyd - the Wall- that was prob my most played album in middle/high school
    4.System of a Down - Toxicity- First time i heard 'chop suey' on the radio show 'Loveline' i was blown away, and have been a fan ever since
    and no.5

5.Might Morphin Power Rangers the Movie soundtrack - Hey it got me into the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Van Halen, so it did something right
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited May 2010
    1. Killswitch Engage - As Daylight Dies - If I'm not mistaken, it was my first metal album. I got it right after it was released.

2. Misfits - American Psycho - It got me into the Misfits, who are now one of my favorite bands. (Even if the current lineup blows ass.) It also introduced me to Michale Graves, my favorite vocalist, and Doyle, a huge influence on my guitar playing.

3. Metallica - Master Of Puppets - Taught me how to play guitar.

4. Fear Factory - Remanufacture/Their "Cars" cover from Obsolete - Introduced me to Fear Factory over 10 years ago.

5. Vio-Lence - Oppressing The Masses - Ever since the first time I heard the intro riff to Officer Nice I have been addicted to thrash.
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
  • PrimalScream31PrimalScream31 Posts: 3,544 mod
    1. AC/DC - Let There Be Rock : I remember my dad playing this record when I was a kid and telling me one day that I will like it. He was right.

2. KISS - Alive! : The Peter Chris drum solo is just simply awesome and that is what made me want to start drumming.

3. Mötley Crüe - Too Fast For Love : I went down the rabbit hole and I have never returned.

4. Bad Company - Straight Shooter : This is another album in my dads collection that just made me go wow.

5. Megadeth - Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? : They got me in to the heavier side of music and I also liked them because they were the anti-Metallica when I was in school.

photo mayhemsignature2013_zps1209e6fd.jpg I wanna slit your throat and fuck the wound.
  • SGNL_05SGNL_05 Posts: 3,501 just the tip
    #1 - Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance. Part of the reason i love metal.
    #2- Pantera - Cowboys from Hell --The Rest of the reason i love metal.
    # 3 - Slipknot - S/T started my ten year love of the band...got the tribal s on my arm for life.
    #4 - Led Zepp - IV..nuff said.
    #5 - In Flames - Reroute to Remain - got me into the truly heavier shit...and the rest is history..and yes i still consider it a hell of a lot heavier than any slipknot.
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,705 spicy boy
    edited May 2010
    1. Megadeth- Countdown to Extinction. Album/band that got me into metal
    2. Slipknot- s/t. Got me into heavier stuff. One of my alltime fav bands/albums
    3. Trivium- Ascendancy. Started me screaming. Matt Heafy is still one of my vocal influences
    4. Pantera- Vulgar Display of Power
    5. All That Remains- This Darkened Heart
    Post edited by MetalCoresades on
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • JormungandrJormungandr Posts: 1,971 juggalo
    5: Behemoth - Demigod: Really introduced me to extreme metal, and teh underground world of metuhl
    4: Blind Guardian - A Twist in the Myth: Brought on love for fantasy themed metal, and the best power metal I had heard at the time.
    3: Sigur Ros - Takk...: I really connected with this one. Brilliant orchestration, and very emotional album.
    2: (tie) Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness: Primordial spoke to me, really. Nemtheanga's philosophy and their music affected who I am a lot.
    2: Immortal - Sons of Northern Darkness: First Immortal album I heard. Opened me up to black metal, and it was the first album I listened to while in the woods.
    1: Moonsorrow - Verisakeet: This album absolutely blew my mind. Showed me how metal and music can help you gain a better appreciation for nature, as well as other things. Helps me if I feel like crap, and is a definitely moving album.
  • cannibiscorpsecannibiscorpse Posts: 5,577 salt miner
    wow i actually know all those albums
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    I know them thanks to Jorm... which is pretty funny...
    I love winning with women
  • JormungandrJormungandr Posts: 1,971 juggalo
    edited May 2010
    That's cool, actually, thank you! (for checking them out)
    By the way, I need you to help me get into this obscure, symphonic black ambient whatever-the-hell you like. I was gonna make a thread asking you for assistance, but I was afraid it would get overloaded.
  • cannibiscorpsecannibiscorpse Posts: 5,577 salt miner
    theres private messages dude
  • StratophonyStratophony Posts: 9,212 just the tip
    private lap dances
    I hate PM systems. lol