Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Cons Thread

Comments

• Options
    Dime2Dime2 Posts: 2,690 jayfacer
    Gonna need some context on that one hoss
  • Options
    ThatGuyArloThatGuyArlo Posts: 1,430 jayfacer
    Got invited by some people, figured it sounds weird and fun. 
  • Options
    Fair enough. Have fun and don't drink anything anyone in an animal get up offers you 
  • Options
    Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,467 moneytalker
    When did Dime become the fun police?
    Pass the god damn butter.
  • Options
    Since I started eating Halal.
  • Options
    mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    So I’m for sure taking the kids to this galaxy con in Columbus. They are excited. I looked at the list of people they were interested in and good god some of the prices this is why I struggle to get interested in this shit. 

So like Sarah Natochenny voice of Ash depending on rarity of card the auto can go up to $200. I feel like the card should be included in that price but it feels obvious it won’t be. 
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • Options
    MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,552 spicy boy
    mrAPE said:
    So I’m for sure taking the kids to this galaxy con in Columbus. They are excited. I looked at the list of people they were interested in and good god some of the prices this is why I struggle to get interested in this shit. 

So like Sarah Natochenny voice of Ash depending on rarity of card the auto can go up to $200. I feel like the card should be included in that price but it feels obvious it won’t be. 
    Yep, they're expensive as shit
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • Options
    How is this so widely loved and enjoyable? 
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • Options
    mrAPE said:
    Its mostly attended by people with disposable income or people who dont care if they dont have any money.

In my case, I've been to enough cons where I dont really spend a fortune there anymore, the tickets and hotel are expensive enough, so I dont do any paid meet and greets or signing, and just buy stuff thats priced fairly, and then just enjoy the atmosphere of being there and the free shit

• Options
    MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,633 master of ceremonies
    mrAPE said:
    Because you get to meet your favorite VAs and actors. It’s kind of like collecting cards or collectibles in a weird way just with signatures on items. You usually have like a year to prepare for these cons so you can save up the funds for who you want to meet but in your case it’s kinda last minute so there was really no time to prepare. I’ve been lucky enough to have a buddy own a collectible shop and he brings out all the big time VAs and I get their sigs for free. Only time I shell out big money is for big names like Ewen McGregor, Andrew Garfield, and so on. 
  • Options
    MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,633 master of ceremonies
    mrAPE said:

Honestly you can thank the reseller game for that. Before it was standard $40 on anything you want signed back in the day. Now people would bring up 30 pops to get signed and then flip them at the con and online for triple and even sell their shit right in front of them lol. Now they charge a premium on pops and cards because of that. 
  • Options
    ThatGuyArloThatGuyArlo Posts: 1,430 jayfacer
    I'm actually with Ape on this, I've never really understood the appeal of meeting famous people at cons, and that's without the extreme price tag added on. I went to one con with my roommate and she spent $320 for a pic with all 4 of the hobbits from the original LotR. The pic wasn't even that good. 

But I still enjoy cons for the artists row where I can find some cool shit to buy and all the endless panels and what not that are included. Some of those can be pretty fun and creative. One of my favorites was a properly structured debate over 'subs vs. dubs'. Another was an R-rated panel where some voice actors read out weird depraved fanfics. There are also some after parties that are pretty fun if you're staying at the con itself. Cons can be enjoyed a number of different ways, it just depends what you're looking to get out of it. 
  • Options
    Here is the breakdown for the one person I see funko mentioned a lot. These items aren’t included in the price correct that’s just for that type of item to get signed? 
  • Options
    FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,408 spicy boy
    mrAPE said:
    >20 different things to do at cons

> picks the most expensive thing to do

>"this is expensive why do people like this" 
  • Options
    FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,408 spicy boy
    mrAPE said:
    Here is the breakdown for the one person I see funko mentioned a lot. These items aren’t included in the price correct that’s just for that type of item to get signed? 
    Yes, some people charge by item. Hell, some people charge extra if you just want a standard autograph vs if you want them to write a quote or something. 
  • Options
    I’m just along for the ride with the kids. They gave me the list of people they would want to meet and the cheapest is $40. Clearly this is a big part of cons. You spend money to get in Saturday is $60 and Sunday $50 I think. Then if they want to meet anyone I’m met with that cost. What’s the next biggest thing at coke shopping cool can spend more money. It just seems like an incredibly huge money sink. My kids aren’t going to care about a Q&A they are going to care about the guests and items. 
  • Options
    Also I welcome you or anyone else to point me in the direction of the 20 other things to do since I haven’t got a fucking clue. All that’s listed on the website so far seems to be guests 
  • Options
    Alright nerds looking for some guidance, the galaxy con schedule is out. Can yall look at it and let me know some things to do there that don’t cost extra my kids are interested in most anime but mainly demon slayer and one piece. They also love five nights at Freddy’s. I know all the shopping stuff will entertain them but are there activities there I should make sure I do with them. They are 10 and 8 
  • Options
  • Options
    The "celebriry photo ops" events are most likely the only ones that will cost more money. 

The "cosplay meetups" are where you go see everyone who dressed up for a particular franchise, I saw One Piece and FNAF have meet ups on that schedule. 

The panels should all be free, just pick some that sound interesting.