Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The MCU/DC Discussion and Spoiler Thread

Comments

• MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,705 spicy boy
    Agree to disagree I guess. I really didnt like Homecoming that much. Its the most disapppinting film in the entite MCU to me. I hate the changes they made, and feel using high school Peter will hurt the movie franchise a lot going forward. 

We're already seeing its affects with all the Spider-Man-less spin offs being announced. I'll take them jumping to MJ over that shit any day. 

Not to mention Homecoming already jumped to MJ too with Michelle, soooo. 
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
    edited October 2018
    Nah dude, politics aside it wasnt that good. Uncle Tony and young May is lame. Nerd bully Flash is stupid. The homemade costume looked like ass. And like I said high school Peter is hurting it more than helping. Peter comes off like a side kick than more of a hero. And Holland is more uconfortably awkward than funny and nerdy. 

Hes better as a side chatacter in Avengers than fronting his own movie, and that SUCKS  

The only thing I liked about it was Vulture. And I even found the plot twist where he was Liz's dad to be REALLY stupid.
    edited October 2018
    Maybe its cuz I care a lot more about Spider-Man than everyone else in the MCU, but its not my Spider-Man. 

Thats why Im so hesitant to see Venom. Hes my fav Marvel character. I know Im going to hate all the changes and stupid plot, and HATE there's no connection to Spidey. 
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    Yeah I don’t even see the point of Venom without Spider-Man 
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    I like movies that are more comic accurate. Raimy's movies might be cheesy, but so are the comics. There were some slight liberties, but at least I didnt have to put up with Papa Tony and "Penis Parker" 
    Raimi Spider-Man has some of the biggest inconsistencies of them all. No web shooters, Gwen Stacy, Eric Foreman Venom, and Emo Peter Parker are the biggest off the top of my head. 
    And ASM and SM 3 over homecoming is a joke. ASM Uncle Ben was fucking annoying and showed why you dont rehash the same story. It was terrible writing and made a uncle ben come off like a dick. When he died i gave 0. Sally Fields as aunt may gave similar feelings
    I like movies that are more comic accurate. Raimy's movies might be cheesy, but so are the comics. There were some slight liberties, but at least I didnt have to put up with Papa Tony and "Penis Parker" 
    Raimi Spider-Man has some of the biggest inconsistencies of them all. No web shooters, Gwen Stacy, Eric Foreman Venom, and Emo Peter Parker are the biggest off the top of my head. 
    Yea, Spidey 3 is a mess and lack of web shooters isnt ideal. But I still like it more than Homecoming
    Yea, Spidey 3 is a mess and lack of web shooters isnt ideal. But I still like it more than Homecoming
    It's OK to be wrong 
    And ASM and SM 3 over homecoming is a joke. ASM Uncle Ben was fucking annoying and showed why you dont rehash the same story. It was terrible writing and made a uncle ben come off like a dick. When he died i gave 0. Sally Fields as aunt may gave similar feelings
    At least they tried to make it more true to Spider-Man 
    It was a shitty movie though 
  • DimeDime Posts: 10,239 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Youuuu hate the spider and I hate the spider 
    Nah dude, politics aside it wasnt that good. Uncle Tony and young May is lame. Nerd bully Flash is stupid. The homemade costume looked like ass. And like I said high school Peter is hurting it more than helping. Peter comes off like a side kick than more of a hero. And Holland is more uconfortably awkward than funny and nerdy. 

Hes better as a side chatacter in Avengers than fronting his own movie, and that SUCKS  

The only thing I liked about it was Vulture. And I even found the plot twist where he was Liz's dad to be REALLY stupid.
    After 2 recent incarnations of the character flopping so spectacularly, I don’t think the world was going to be very accepting of a front-and-center Spider-Man. Having a third try in under 15 years is unheard of. Only Batman and James Bond have been allowed such leniency in film. There wasn’t much market for a new Spider-Man without him being attached to the MCU, and the MCU was already in full stride when Marvel got access to the character. They really didn’t have much choice than to make him the Robin to Stark’s Batman. Spider-Man being in the same level as someone like Ant-Man is Sony’s fault. Marvel is just picking up the pieces and rebuilding his stock. Also, with some of the first wave character arcs coming to a close and the MCU moving on from characters like Iron Man and Captain America soon, it will leave Spider-Man as a natural solution for headliner in MCU movies going forward.

I still have no problem with Aunt May or Flash. I feel like they only really matter if they become larger parts of the story, and I hope that doesn’t happen. 

The homemade costume was appropriate for a teenage dude with no job

I don’t understand the issue with him being in high school. I don’t see what difference it makes

Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield both had handicaps playing the character. Tobey was so dorky that his one-liners were almost always duds. He was so dorky, actually, that it always made it completely unbelievable that a girl as hot as MJ would give him the time of day. Specifically prior to knowing he was Spider-Man. Garfield played it so angsty in the first movie that it was hard to watch in places. The scene at dinner with Captain Stacey immediately comes to mind. A kid as bright as he was supposed to be would’ve had more tact than to argue with the dad of the beautiful, similarly unattainable Gwen. In the second movie, he put on the “I’m a New Yawka” schtick that made me wanna puke. Both versions ended up in self-parody during their final films that it makes it difficult to remember what they did right. 

Homecoming isn’t perfect. I wasn’t a fan of Vulture being the love interest ‘s dad either. Knowing how every other character in Peter’s life inexplicably becomes a super in comics, arbitrarily adding another set of characters that are relevant in both Peter and Spider-Man’s circle didn’t sit well with me. It was also curious how Peter and Vulture’s daughter go to the same public school, but he seems to have to travel a long way from his working-class neighborhood to her affluent digs to attend her party. Why Vulture’s henchmen are selling his tech in his neighborhood without him around is also a head scratcher. I liked Peter’s Hawaiian buddy though. Their relationship was realistic and funny. I liked Tomei as May. She’s not the comic May, but she’s not enough of the story to be an issue. I actually like Flash. I thought he was funny. I’ve said before that I think changing the ethnicities of peripheral characters in Peter’s social circle was necessary to create a realistic version of current New York City high school demographics. I’m sure there were a bunch of gingers in Queens when Stan Lee created the character, but that hasn’t been the case since the mid 70s. I feel like other characters that were under developed prolly have bigger things brewing in future films. Specifically Donald Glover’s character. I’ve seen the movie prolly 30 times because my son loves it so much and I don’t tire of it the way I do of most of his movies. I can’t wait to see the next one
    Spider-Man is Marvels most popular property. They would have no problem using him properly if they had the full rights. Unfortunately Sony keeps cucking them. 

Maybe its because I like the character so much and had such high hopes after Civil War, but Homecoming was a total and complete disappointment to me. I just didnt like the portrayal as much as when Tobey had the reigns. 
    I honestly would’ve loved to have seen what Marvel could’ve done with Spider-Man if they hadn’t been hamstrung by the 2 Sony versions. It’s a shame that they had to build the MCU without him in the beginning
  • Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,526 moneytalker
    I love how this thread always goes back to arguing about Spider-Man movies.
    Pass the god damn butter.
    Cool? I think it sucks. And going forward its gonna suck. 

Venom with no Spidey is a joke. Black Cat and Silver Sable without Spidey is a joke. And they're already putting like 3 or 4 villains in the next Spider-Man as if they havent learned yet. They have no faith in this incarnation either and are unloading all at once, yet again. 
    Sony is as Sony does
    And they're already putting like 3 or 4 villains in the next Spider-Man as if they havent learned yet. 
    Yeah source or bullshit. Marvel would never let that happen. They have the reigns on the spider man movies