Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Ozzy Osbourne Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Da_MuffinzDa_Muffinz Posts: 2,972 balls deep
    jag said:

NolaMetal said:

jag i understand where your coming from but sabbath killed plain and simple...

For me, Black Sabbath and Paranoid are great albums but it's been so overplayed that it's lackluster for me now. From when I was growing up and those albums were staples for me to just the radio play they get here, I just grew tired of hearing material from those albums. Master of Reality might be my favorite Ozzy era album. And from Vol. 4 on, I just didn't get into any of those albums spare a few songs.
    I agree with Paranoid being an overrated album, even though I still love it. Vol. 4 is actually my favorite because of the song Snowblind. Technical Ecstasy was also a great album. Masters of Reality I thought was their heaviest.
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    the first four black sabbath albums cannot be touched dood ..theyre not overrated and over anything they are just legendary...if you overplayed or overheard them then you cant count that against the band, thats just plain stupid
  • jagjag Posts: 5,033 destroyer of motherfuckers

jag said:

jag said:

Overrated. Come at me.

He's a legend man. You can't blame him for that. He's been around longer than most metal bands today.It's pretty inevitable that he would become "overrated" in that sense.
    Sure, he's a legend in pop culture and the metal scene, but I wouldn't hesitate to say otherwise in terms of disagreement. I find most of the Sabbath material he is lead vocals on to be rubbish, his solo material isn't really anything to write home about and he's always had the benefit of a good guitarist during his so called "prime". He is a laughable front man and has been for quite some time. That's just my view on him. That said, I like some of his work (Sabbath/solo) but I don't find the mass appeal with Ozzy.
    His vocals fit perfectly within Sabbath. Back then he sung very bluesy and hard rock style, he changed it up a lot when he went solo. Laughable in the sense of what? The dude is hilarious he loves to act goofy and shit.

What you and others find funny, I find to be a little pathetic and disappointing at this point. That's where the subjective aspect comes in.
    ozzy at this point literally has nothing musically profound to offer... he should just play his classics or just go away cuz its a little embarrassing
    jag said:

jag said:

jag said:

Overrated. Come at me.

He's a legend man. You can't blame him for that. He's been around longer than most metal bands today.It's pretty inevitable that he would become "overrated" in that sense.
    Sure, he's a legend in pop culture and the metal scene, but I wouldn't hesitate to say otherwise in terms of disagreement. I find most of the Sabbath material he is lead vocals on to be rubbish, his solo material isn't really anything to write home about and he's always had the benefit of a good guitarist during his so called "prime". He is a laughable front man and has been for quite some time. That's just my view on him. That said, I like some of his work (Sabbath/solo) but I don't find the mass appeal with Ozzy.
    His vocals fit perfectly within Sabbath. Back then he sung very bluesy and hard rock style, he changed it up a lot when he went solo. Laughable in the sense of what? The dude is hilarious he loves to act goofy and shit.

What you and others find funny, I find to be a little pathetic and disappointing at this point. That's where the subjective aspect comes in.
    So you're saying when he jump around on the stage, sprays the crowd with foam, moons people, and has those hilarious entrance videos are pathetic? I'm just curious about your opinion here.
    NolaMetal said:

the first four black sabbath albums cannot be touched dood ..theyre not overrated and over anything they are just legendary...if you overplayed or overheard them then you cant count that against the band, thats just plain stupid

I understand your side on not holding it against the band, but for me it's added to help shape my opinion on them. That's why I still will acknowledge BS and Paranoid are good but I'm just tired of them. I can try over and over to reignite an interest and it usually doesn't happen.
    that stuff is fine imo but musically and artistically he is now a joke...he was going to name an album soul sucka....
    edited September 2012
    NolaMetal said:

ozzy at this point literally has nothing musically profound to offer... he should just play his classics or just go away cuz its a little embarrassing

Sure I can understand your first statement. I mean the dude is 64 he's getting to that age in which he no longer has to do anything anymore musically creative otherwise. At this point he's not making masterpieces he's just having fun. I'd still want him to stay in the business just cuz I love seeing him live. In my opinion his last great album was Down To Earth. Black Rain was good. Scream was alright.
  • NecrothulhuNecrothulhu Posts: 33,444 master of ceremonies
    They're old that's for sure. He's pretty much done if you ask me..and has been for a while. Why he keeps going beats me. Oh yeah...money for Sharon
    imageimage
    jag said:

NolaMetal said:

I understand your side on not holding it against the band, but for me it's added to help shape my opinion on them. That's why I still will acknowledge BS and Paranoid are good but I'm just tired of them. I can try over and over to reignite an interest and it usually doesn't happen.
    get high as fukk and light some candles and draw pentagrams all over your walls and start up BS... if that doesnt do it then your hopeless....

They're old that's for sure. He's pretty much done if you ask me..and has been for a while. Why he keeps going beats me. Oh yeah...money for Sharon

Well I think he actually does it because he loves it. You can tell when you see him live, he gives it all he's got and he shows his love for the fans. He gets all excited and crazy. It's because of us that he's where he's at today. So he shows his gratitude by still entertaining us.

jag said:

jag said:

jag said:

Overrated. Come at me.

So you're saying when he jump around on the stage, sprays the crowd with foam, moons people, and has those hilarious entrance videos are pathetic? I'm just curious about your opinion here.
    I enjoy the entrance videos. Those usually have lots of laughter attached to it.

-Mooning the crowd? Maybe if I was 13 it'd be funny, but mooning isn't exactly something I find humorous anymore. It's not funny for anyone to do it. It's more a an unnecessary distraction. It irks me when the fanboys get all giddy to it. What appeal does it really serve?

-Shooting the crowd with foam? If that's your thing, cool. Me, not so much.

-Jumping around? Way to have fun, I'd rather see him smiling doing his thing. I can go along with this one.

This man can't remember his fucking lyrics, uses teleprompters, mumbles a lot of shit due to a well diminished voice and then yells that he can't fucking hear us (which is probably true). When I go to a concert for a performance, the antics aren't what I'm there for, especially when it's bad enough the person is well past his prime. I know I sound like a grumpy, old, nazi elitist right now, but it's how I feel about Ozzy.
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Dio era > ozzy era

Come at me
    so you must not like gwar then either
    NolaMetal said:

so you must not like gwar then either

I dislike them a lot. I never got their appeal. The music sucks to me.
    edited September 2012
    jag said:

jag said:

jag said:

jag said:

Overrated. Come at me.

I enjoy the entrance videos. Those usually have lots of laughter attached to it.

-Mooning the crowd? Maybe if I was 13 it'd be funny, but mooning isn't exactly something I find humorous anymore. It's not funny for anyone to do it. It's more a an unnecessary distraction. It irks me when the fanboys get all giddy to it. What appeal does it really serve?

-Shooting the crowd with foam? If that's your thing, cool. Me, not so much.

-Jumping around? Way to have fun, I'd rather see him smiling doing his thing. I can go along with this one.

This man can't remember his fucking lyrics, uses teleprompters, mumbles a lot of shit due to a well diminished voice and then yells that he can't fucking hear us (which is probably true). When I go to a concert for a performance, the antics aren't what I'm there for, especially when it's bad enough the person is well past his prime. I know I sound like a grumpy, old, nazi elitist right now, but it's how I feel about Ozzy.
    He just loves to go crazy live. And as for trouble remembering the lyrics, so far I haven't seen him mess up once. In fact I think he messed up more back then because he was so high all the time. I think he can hear us, it's just another thing he does live. He wants us to go FUCKING CRAZY! As he always says lol. Sure he's getting old. Sure hey maybe past his prime, but he can still pull it off. Now I can honestly say he's not going to continue this much longer, because eventually he will lose all ability to perform, and at that time, he'll go down in history as being one of the best performers out there.
    Post edited by Da_Muffinz on
    I held off from saying it in my previous Ozzy related post, but since I'm drinking and I find it funny:

I'd probably do the things Ozzy does on stage as well if Zakk Wylde was my guitarist.
    jag said:

I held off from saying it in my previous Ozzy related post, but since I'm drinking and I find it funny:

I'd probably do the things Ozzy does on stage as well if Zakk Wylde was my guitarist.

Lol not much of a fan of him either? I think Zakk has really lost his touch since the early days. His solos were so amazing off of No Rest For The Wicked and No More Tears. Once he started using his signature cry baby was when his skill started to die down.