Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• TiradesOfTruthTiradesOfTruth Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
    @TiradesOfTruth TBDM set because Toddz won't stop asking about it. :!! lol
    In Hell is Where She Waits For Me
    Moonlight Equilibrium 
    On Stirring Seas of Salted Blood
    Their Beloved Absentee
    Statutory Ape
    Raped In Hatred By Vines of Thorn
    Necropolis
    Den of the Picquerist  
    Elder Misanthropy 
    Malenchantments of the Necrosphere
    Goat of Departure 
    What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
    I Will Return
    Miasma
    Deathmask Devine
    Funeral Thirst
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    No Warborn fuck off. Obviously didn't listen to us. 
    Jesus either paper voted or the didn't even listen to us. End it dahlia. 
    Fuck doe necropolis and melanchantments \m/ :!!
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    I dont fucking get it, why havent they ever played warborn?!?!
    I love winning with women
    Could easily go tell Trevor to end it. He's running merch and Alan is chilling. 
    Holy fucking fucking fuck they played Warborn. Stage diving left and right people hanging from the rafters. Life-changing experience. 12/10
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,705 spicy boy
    =)

TIAHBMISITIAHLKIAS 2014 edition
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?

0 don't believe me
    ok
  • Number1RamsFanNumber1RamsFan Posts: 9,355 destroyer of motherfuckers
    @TiradesOfTruth TBDM set because Toddz won't stop asking about it. :!! lol
    In Hell is Where She Waits For Me
    Moonlight Equilibrium 
    On Stirring Seas of Salted Blood
    Their Beloved Absentee
    Statutory Ape
    Raped In Hatred By Vines of Thorn
    Necropolis
    Den of the Picquerist  
    Elder Misanthropy 
    Malenchantments of the Necrosphere
    Goat of Departure 
    What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
    I Will Return
    Miasma
    Deathmask Devine
    Funeral Thirst
    So pretty much the same set as always but in a different order and they brought back Elder Misanthropy. Everyone who voted is a fuckin lame. At least try to get something new played. I wanna see A Selection Unnatural, That Which Erodes the Most Tender or Denounced, Disgraced.
    They played Warborn last night
    Did they play anything else they don't usually play?
    I hadn't seen necropolis 
    Dude that was talking to them all night was next to me before they started and I said I wish they were playing a vulgar pic and he said Ryan said that was their switch up so I was pumped. No vulgar pic. Dude can kh pry paper. 
    2_hearted said:
    I hadn't seen necropolis 
    They played Necropolis on the Deflorate tour with Goatwhore and Arkaik a few years ago. Shit was dope.
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    Mastodon/Gojira/Kvelertak
    Providence RI 10/30/2014
    Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel

I sort of impulsively bought a ticket to this show a week ago, after planning on not attending since I went to the Worcester show in May and wanted to save money. After getting out of classes at noon, I got to spend the next three hours navigating the MBTA from outside Boston to Providence. Arrived at Lupo’s around 3:30 and nobody was in line yet, so my friend and I decided to grab some Subway and head back. When we got back around 4, two other people had shown up so we had company for the wait until doors. One of the guys was a dude from India who had flown over and been following the tour and going to every show solely for Gojira. Really nice dude, and I checked out his band from back in India called “Inner Sanctum” that he’s the drummer for. They’re pretty damn good, and must be one of the biggest Indian metal bands around because they’ve opened for Slayer and Metallica.

Got into the venue and got center rail, which I always love. Abhinav bought some beers for us to knock back and surprisingly enough venue security didn’t notice a sasquatch knocking back beers on the rail without a 21+ bracelet. Kvelertak kicked things off with a different setlist than they played back in May, with Apenbaring going into Bruane Brenn instead of Spring Fra Livet. As much as I love their live energy, their music really blends together in a somewhat boring way in the live setting. I’m still convinced that they played the song “Kvelertak” twice, or split the first and second half of the song in different parts of their set. Like last time, their vocalist came up to me on the rail, and screamed their lyrics in my face and whatnot. Still awkward not knowing Norwegian. Their mixing was spot on, and the vocals weren’t drowned out by the instruments.

After Kvelertak I made conversation with the dude next to me on the rail, who turned out to be Coma323 on metalsetlists and setlist.fm. Then it was time for the band that I was mainly there to see, Gojira. I had the surprise of Ocean Planet as an opener ruined for me because I heard it when they did their sound check, but it was an amazing experience to see that song live (especially with the intro recording of whale calls). Like Kvelertak, their mixing was perfect, even on the rail. Their show was a continual punch in the face throughout, with the only break being a minute or so interlude right before Toxic Garbage Island. The crowd was at their rowdiest for Gojira, with an intense crowd push, but it was better because Lupo’s has a much better rail setup than The Palladium. Gojira closed out the show with Vacuity, which is my personal favorite track from the band alongside Global Warming. Wound up catching two drumsticks from Mario in a row, both of which I gave to people near me since I already got one in May. But then I convinced one of the roadies to give me the setlist, which I obviously kept. 

Knowing that Mastodon had a far more laid-back setlist than they did back in May, I decided to stay on the rail for some of their set. Tread Lightly wasn’t as impressive of a live track as I had hoped it would be, and the band’s vocal levels were barely audible from the rail. Brann’s were completely silent, and songs that he led the vocals in like Oblivion and The Motherload were basically sung by the crowd around me instead. Instruments, however, were very well mixed and sounded tight. About halfway through their set I got tired of staying on the rail and swung back to the first staircase right in front of the soundboard. The vocals in this area and in the mosh pit sounded much louder, so after recouping some energy I jumped into the pit for the rest of their set. Songs like Bladecatcher, Black Tongue, and Divinations were all surprisingly fun as hell to mosh to, and sounded amazing. The pit was at its craziest during Megalodon/Blood and Thunder, the latter of which being probably the best pit I’ve ever been in outside of Black Label. It was at that point that the show wrapped up, and it was time to go.

So all in all, it was the best performance I’ve seen yet from Gojira, and Mastodon was just as good as they were back in May. I’m fairly certain this show is tied with the Baroness 2013 headlining tour as the best show I’ve ever been to.