Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    edited November 2012
    The Dethklok set is fucking terrible, they need to play Bloodlines and Laser Cannon Deth Sentence every show.
    inb4lists
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    No Warborn again. Lol.
    I love winning with women
  • TiradesOfTruthTiradesOfTruth Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I'm convinced they will never play Warborn :(
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    >TBDM in Detroit
    >Didn't expect many followers

Good review though, I feel like my only two comments picked it apart lol
    image Photobucket
    It just caught me off guard lol I figured their would be followers there. Idk I just wasn't expecting how much I guess.
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    When has ATR not closed with Two Weeks? They did at Mayhem three years ago....
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    It's just disappointing every time they do. Every time I have seen them they have and each it time I leave the set feeling something is missing.
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    Jeanne sounded good on backup vocals too. I guess I never realized that was her but it was impressive.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    ATR would be 100x better with a different vocalist
    inb4lists
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    They started to go down hill when she joined its like phil instantly grew a pussy when she joined
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    or phil always had a pussy
    Xenocide said:

or phil always had a pussy

He used to be good at hiding it, and then Overcome was released.
    inb4lists
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    edited November 2012
    they need to play the air that i breathe at least.

fuck bdm, play warborn or gtfo

• sbs_willsbs_will Posts: 18,648 salt miner
    Well, I caught the Dethklok/ATR/MH/BDM show the date after Brando's. Mine was in Grand Rapids, but my review is pretty much the same as his, so you get the idea.

Only difference was Machine Head went before Dethklok at my date \m/
    I got a setlist from them, and I caught Adam Duce's pic.

Best Birthday ever!
    The Sword was off the fucking hook, quite the eventful night. I'll post a review tomorrow cuz I want to get my full 4 hours of sleep before getting up for school.
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    Short, sweet and to the point.

Lord Dying - Rocked the fuck out, loud as hell, would see them again.

Mutilation Rites - Vocals didn't do it for me, I guess I'm not metal enough. Guys jammed though.

Havok - I guess I just can't really buy into new thrash bands. They jammed and they sounded
    good, but for some reason I just had this feeling that I couldn't take it serious. Like the kids head banging to them looked like they desperately wanted to be in the 80's

Black Tusk - Jammed like motherfuckers, yes I keep saying jam...don't care. Wish I had listened to more of their stuff because I would have been able to enjoy it more.

Red Fang - Far better than when I saw them at Mayhem. I'd like to have seen them on a headlining date.

Skeletonwitch - Only band I went up front for, and knew all the songs for. Set was cut short but it's not big deal I suppose, they'll be around again. Sounded tight like always. Managed to get my 3rd setlist from them.

COC - Dipped out because I originally planned to get home and sleep...didn't do that.

But afterwords I grabbed some pizza and started to head out...Conveniently Skeletonwitch were loading up. Talked to them for a minute and got them to sign the setlist. This time all of them lol. Good shit, can't wait for the next time around.

For being a clusterfuck of tours, they managed to do it well with two stages in a small area. I'd have liked to have had longer sets, but it is what it is. For all I know COC were great, but I really don't care haha
    image Photobucket
    The Sword w/ Gypsyhawk & Eagle Claw
    Pawtucket RI - The Met
    11/15/12

Went to this show with a couple friends of mine, and was pretty pumped beforehand because The Sword have been one of my favorite bands for awhile now. Went out to beforehand, then went to the venue about 40 minutes before doors simply because we had nothing else to do. Hung out in the car until 15 minutes after doors were supposed to open, then headed to the entrance. Randomly ran into one of my best friends who I haven't seen in over a year because of college, who doesn't even listen to metal much. Confused the fuck outta me but I wasn't complaining. Doors ended up opening 40 minutes late about 20 minutes before the show and we went in. Never been to The Met before, and it was unexpectadly small. Pretty much the definition of a hole-in-wall venue. The first thing I noticed when I walked in was that the stage has no barrier... and being the size I am it only came up to my knees. Never seen that before. Anyways...

Gypsyhawk
    When these guys came on stage I was confused as fuck because I thought Eagle Claw were going first. But they had a pretty tight live show. Nothing to write home about though. Their vocalist/bassist was pretty funny but their music is generally meh. Highlight of their show was a cover of Rock & Roll Hoochie Koo. Decent mixing though there were moments where it sounded a bit off. 6/10

Eagle Claw
    I really didn't know anything about these guys going into the show, but apparently they're a sludge/stoner outfit with no vocalist. Their music isn't overly original or diverse, but damn are they a fun live show. These guys just jam hard. Mixing was stellar for their entire show, you could hear everything clearly. Ended up getting a pic from their guitarist at the end of the show. Could have had a setlist too but I gave it to a friend who wanted it. Also their bassist was a ripped black guy in a Millenium Falcon tshirt, who I saw making out with the insanely hot merch girl during The Sword. Guy has game. 7.5/10

The Sword
    I discovered this band when I was first getting into metal in 8th grade through the song To Take The Black, and I've been a fan ever since. By the time they hit the stage the venue was decently full with the drunkards out in full force. Apocryphon is a great first track for a live show, especially with the video game-esque electronic intro. But damn, I just had a blast throughout their entire set. Although I recognized all the songs they played, I'm only very familiar with about half of them. The crowd push got worse than I expected, and I tried to use a stage monitor to push myself back. It apparently wasn't attached to anything, so I sent it flying a few feet. By the end of the set the insanely drunk people made their way to the front and some weeeird shit was going down. There was this fat guy and his wife and the guy was going around yelling in everybody's face and patting them and shit, and his wife was grinding on EVERYONE. It would have been cool if she didn't look like a beached whale. Another drunk guy kept falling on everyone, and my friend got pissed off enough to shove him to the ground 2 or 3 times. I ended up going back into the crowd to try and get away from the faggotry.
    I ended up going back up to the stage for their encore, which was prefaced by the black guy from Eagle Claw yelling "YOU GUYS WANT MORE SWORD?!?!?!" After which they came out and played Barael's Blade and Winter's Wolves. Their lead guitarist threw me a guitar pick which promptly bounced off my forehead and onto the ground. I tried to grab it but some other kid got it first. Ended up being handed a pick by Cronise and after they left I army crawled a few feet onto the stage to grab a setlist and a water bottle that was half drunk by their bassist.
    Their mixing was okay, you couldn't hear vocals at all the first few songs but they got it fixed eventually.
    8/10

edited November 2012