Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited August 2012
    during Hell Awaits.
    Are you fucking kidding me
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    edited August 2012
    the last mayhem review of the year

ill make it pretty short and sweet

got there around 2.. drank our asses off for like two and a half hours... the weather was all over the place..went from wicked hot and nice to downpouring

AILD - only csaught a little of their set unfortunately..they went on early than i was planning...heard about two or three songs and they sounded tight..wish i caught the whole set but def a great live presence... 8/10

Anthrax - took them what felt like an hr to come out cuz of lightning..we got fukkin drenched waiting i mean absolutely soaked...i was pretty drunk by this point and was screaming at the stage the whole time for them to start..some dood next to me just whipped his dick out and started pissing right in the middle of the crowd..not cool..anthrax FINALLY comes on and just absolutely kills it..openned with caught in a mosh and i lost my mind..they sounded heavy as hell and was really impressed...moshed like a mofo..did some wall of death..got kicked right in the face by a crowd surfer and i think i broke my rib cuz i cant even breathe/move today..on cd meh but i would def see anthrax again live in the future no question 8.5 /10

Motorhead - like most others already have said they sound old and tired.. caught most of there set cuz anthrax ran wicked late..they just dont carry that punch i thought they would but i mean they werent bad by no means..lemmy is still god 7/ 10

Slayer - absolute legends..i thought slayers was def even better than last time they played mayhem...king was an absolute monster..the better setlist.. loved all the fire and stage shit goin on the songs just sounded tight as hell and they just shreded their balls off.. i really dont see how u could call yourself a metalhead and dislike that set period.. slayer is prob the only band i wouldnt mind if they played mayhem like every year..what else can i say next time if they ever play again i will prob dish out a little more and get in the pit 9.5/ 10

slipknot - they were loud as hell ... thought my ears were gonna bleed by some of the sounds coming out of the speakers... i still think most their stage crap is pretty gay but musically they sounded good..wayyy better than someone like manson thats for sure...played more songs that i knew than last time..left with a couple songs to go cuz i was disgustingly dirty and soaked 7.75/10
    Post edited by NolaFree810 on
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    I agree completely with your thing about Slayer, 2009 was awesome but their set this time was outstanding
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    Just got back from the show at Evolution Records, Reveal Renew, Denouncer and Wake Up Atlantic were awesome, Kills & Thrills and Da Vinci were cool too.

As for Assyrian, well they were suppose to go on 2nd after Da Vinci, but they apparently didn't care enough to get there early and said "We'll get there when we feel like it" to someone on the phone, they should not have been allowed to play after the other bands, but they brought all the god awful music crowd from Lake Wales with them, they all sat down for all of the awesome bands, not even trying to give a crap, and the couple that were up were starting fights, a few people were kicked out, i swear some people just take things way to far, if you are going to a concert, DON'T BE A JERK. But anyways most of us left before Assyrian played.

You known the guys in Assyrian are jerks and play generic garbage when the other bands they're touring with don't even want to stay inside and listen to them.

Aside from the jerks the show was great.
    inb4lists
    Also someone pulled a knife.

One of the Assyrian fanboys was starting shit in the circle pit, deliberately being a douchebag, hitting people and shoving people, so someone hit back and started a big fight and the dude pulls a knife out, fortunately the vocalist for the band jumped off stage and decked the asshole in the face, he and 3 others were thrown out of the venue.
    inb4lists
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    deftones - played alot of new songs..hate to say a little disappointed with the setlist but i knew this going in ... they sounded heavy as hell doe... ape is off his rocker..big suprise... def wanna see these guys in a club setting next where they are headling cuz i feel it would be a wayy better show 8.5/10

SOAD - damn these guys sounded fukkin great i was really suprised..ive seen live videos of them before and its always been pretty shitty but this show was a complete 180..they played a great setlest which included suite pee which i was soo pumped over..everyone in the wholpe place new every word which is really fun to be apart of.. def over achieved on this tour and i finally got to see my first favorite metal band 9/10
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    Go back in time and see them when I did and tell me they didn't suck.
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • LiveFreeDieLiveFreeDie Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I saw Slipknot again last night... twice in 6 days. The crowd was a lot more crazier then they were in Mansfield mayhem. Slipknot played "everything ends" which they did not play at mayhem. Clown looked tired... he was no where near as energetic this time around.

I'd give Slipknot a 9/10. I feel that Corey's mic could have been turned up a bit more. Also I was hoping they would play "left behind" but they did not. Still a badass show.
    Death is not the worst of evils. You can't be down, when you're always high.
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    As i lay dying?
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    I went to KISS/Motley Crue this past wednesday. I'm not gonna do a proper review considering no one probably gives a shit. Just a couple notes.

- Vince Neil is literally the worst vocalist I've ever heard live. He gets short winded, forgets lyrics, lets the crowd sing half the song, and straight up sounds awful. They have 2 female backup singers on this tour but it doesn't help much. It made me physically angry having to sit through that bullshit.

- I almost beat the shit out of some scrawny biker guy. My girlfriend goes to get us drinks and comes back saying some guy grabbed her ass in line. I tell her to take me to him and point him out. I walk over to the guy and grab him by the collar of his vest and literally drag him across the ground over to my girlfriend. I stood him up made say "I'm sorry for being a dirty pig. I'm an asshole and I won't do that to anyone again" I would've just fought him but I kept my composure because I didn't want to, get kicked out before KISS.

- KISS was pretty good live. I'm not a fan really but they put on a great rock show. Paul had a cold or something so his voice was pitchy but the rest of the band sounded flawless the harmonies sounded great. Fucking ripoff though they only played 75 minutes but I didnt expect any less.
  • GnomezGnomez Posts: 17,550 master of ceremonies
    =D>
    For your honesty
    You're lucky there weren't
    10 bikers waiting for you when the show finished
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    Agalloch -- San Francisco, CA -- August 11th, 2012

After spending some time and in Rasputin Music and buying some quality albums, we made out way out of a hellish parking garage on went on an odyssey to find another parking area near The Great American Music Hall. After tons of on street teases(spots that looks like parking spots but really weren't), we found a garage that didn't burn the wallet and made our way to the venue. I got the tickets from will call, which made me feel like a grown-up, we made our way into the venue. I didn't bother with merch because I already have and Agalloch shirt from last time they were in town. We made our way near the front, about a row back or two. I was chillin' for a bit talking to my buddies when I noticed some of the Cormorant dudes were chillin' near the back, so I went over and started some conversation. They were all really chill dudes and fun to talk to. Really cool, down to earth dudes. Hopefully they play an all ages show in the near future. Right when the lights dimmed and the video for Taurus was starting up, I shook hands with the Cormorant dudes and made my way back with my peeps up front and prepared my self for Taurus

There seems to be a lot of talk concerning this band's set. Some people seem to hate it and others love it. I'm kind of neutral. This band is more on the drone side of things and drone is a style that I am not really passionate about in any way. I'll give props to the gals in Taurus for creating a pretty cool vibe with all the fog, sloooow riffs and the creepy video. The guitar tone was delicious too. I'll also give 'em props for being able to perform this kind of music. It must take a lot of rehearsal because the riffs drone out for god knows how long, it music be kind of hard to remember when to start a new riff and stuff like that. The only gripe I had with the band was during the first movement of their set, when the drummer just started doing a shit load of fills. It kind of interrupted the mood. Overall, by far not the worst set, but not really the most impressive.

Not much happened during the time in-between Taurus and Agalloch. I tried to meet up with Onioner but there were too many people between me and him for him to just squeeze through without being a butthole. So other then that it was just watching Agalloch set up their tree stump, candles, incense and banners, along with musical equipment and then waiting for them to start.

When Agalloch did start, Haughm got on stage, play a chord and then let the guitar sustain as he lit up some more candles. After that, the rest of the band hopped on stage and they played sort of an intro jam then started into the set. Agalloch were really phenomenal. They sounded absolutely great and played like champs. Like last time they played, there wasn't too much stage banter in between songs, which I can dig, because the more time they spend playing the better. I the members with the most stage presence are for sure Haughm and Anderson. The bass player is just kind of there doing his thing, but he sounded good and had a good tone so I ain't complaining. Only thing I can really complain about was that some times, Aesop's fills felt like a little much, but whatever. Every time the band stopped and took a little break in between songs, one guy would persist to yell "NOT UNLIKE THE WAVES! NOT UN LIKE THE FUCKING WAVES!" and at one point about half way through the set John yelled back "Not gonna happen!" which was funny. Although a little disappointing, because that song kicks dicks, I wasn't mad because I saw it last time. After the played Kneel to the Cross, the left the stage, giving the crowd a few minutes of suspense before they returned to the stage for the encore. In this time, some dipshit hipsters came to the conclusion that they wouldn't play an encore and a few times said "It's not gonna happen" and left. Joke's on them because I got their spots and it did happen. Their encore was fantastic and ended the set perfectly. After they finished Bloodbirds, they just let it sit for a while, let the crowd interact a little bit. The bass player let some of the dudes in the front to hit the strings on his bass as Haughm was grabbing all the things on his tree stump and hitting the strings with those to prolong the noise. After that sit for like, 5-6 minutes, they brought to a stop by just letting the guitar ring for a bit then slowly cutting it off. Agalloch put on a super solid set and it all sounded great. These cats never disappoint.

Agalloch

Intro
    LImbs
    Ghost of Midwinter Fires
    Faustian Echoes
    Falling Snow
    Hallways of Enchanted Ebony
    As Embers Dress the Sky
    You Were But A Ghost In My Arms
    In the Shadow Of Our Pale Companion
    Kneel to the Cross
    --------------------------
    Of Stone, Wind, and Pillor
    Our Fortress Is Burning... I
    Our Fortress Is Burning... II - Bloodbirds
    Our Fortress Is Burning... III - The Grain

After the set, I met up with Onioner and we talked for a bit. Super chill dude! Then John Haughm came out and I had a quick with word with him and got my setlist double checked, as I wasn't too familiar with the Pale Folklore material. So the setlist is John Haughm approved :D

Taurus: 7/10
    Agalloch: 9/10
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Still wish they didn't do part III. Part I would be awesome though. That and Kneel to the Cross are the only ones I haven't seen, and are two of my favorite Agalloch pieces.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    Tldr
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    So the show last night turned out better actually since the Slaughter Survivor bands didn't show.

Beneath The Sativa - This was their first show as a band and it was painfully obvious, they were sort of like if Chelsea Grin decided to try to be like The Faceless, i kinda felt bad for the vocalist Nick, I've know him for a while and he was actually the only reason people didn't feel like walking out of the venue, he has the potential, but he needs to ditch the whole deathcore shit. I'll wait a couple months till i see them open a show in Oct before i really judge them. But for now... - 3/10 (3 only because of Nick's vocals)

Wirethrone - Main reason i was there, this band is going to be in the next wave of melodic death metal bands, I know all the guys in the band which made the performance even cooler, somewhat unusual that they had 3 guitarists but they made it work, but they sounded awesome, picture Dimmu Borgir meets Dark Tranquility and you've got Wirethrone. This band is going to go far i think, can't wait to see them play again. - 8/10

The Antitype - This band was very unusual but in a great way, they were instrumental, think Animals As Leaders meets Radiohead/RHCP, very progressive funk rock, all 3 guys are insane at their instruments, the sound system fucked them over though, i hope to see them again some time. - 7/10

Fathoms Pass - I had never listened to these guys despite everyone telling me i should, and holy fucking hell, these guys are seriously insanely talented, blasting us with Progressive Power Metal, their guitarist blew me away the most, this guy is Chris Broderick/Jeff Loomis good, they sounded flawless, the vocals were very Tim Ripper Owens-ish, if you get a chance look them up and give them a listen, because i am more than sure these guys will make it big. - 9/10

inb4lists
    edited August 2012
    Oh and Corpsegrinder from Cannibal Corpse's band Path Of Possession will be playing a show there soon, and Wirethone are opening.
    inb4lists
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy

Still wish they didn't do part III. Part I would be awesome though. That and Kneel to the Cross are the only ones I haven't seen, and are two of my favorite Agalloch pieces.

It was cool. I liked it
  • TiradesOfTruthTiradesOfTruth Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Dirt Fest 2012 -- Birch Run, Mi -- August 11th, 2012

Arrived at the Birch Run Expo Center at about 11:30. Doors opened at noon so their was already a pretty larger line. As I walk down the line looking for Will their is a shitload of scene kids which made me think oh great gotta deal with these fuckers all day. I eventually find Will and his friends and chill til the doors open. Now the two prior days to the fest it rained and didn't stop til about two hours before the show. As we get inside the ground was wet as fuck which would lead to this later in the day. image
    Anyways we make our way over to the main stage where Beast In The Field would be starting.

Beast In The Field- If you don't know who these guys are they are a local doom band that is one of the loudest band I've ever heard. Anyways we get up pretty close and of course they are fucking loud as hell. About five minutes into their set they blow a fuse and it all goes quiet. It takes them awhile but eventually fix it and go right back into the loudness. The weather was overcast and kinda rainy which just made the atmosphere that much better. Great set by them though it was a little short still kicked ass. If you ever get a chance to see these guys do it. It's worth it. 8/10

After Beast In The Field we didn't have anywhere anyone we wanted to watch so we checked out merch and walked around for awhile. Their was a whole shitload of bands handing out free stuff but most of it was shit and not even worth grabbing. After just walking around and watching some unforgettable bands a band that really surprised me came on.

Slaves On Dope- I have never heard of these guys prior to this show. Apparently they have not been in the U.S. in 10 years I have no idea if this is true or bullshit. But anyways they had an unique style I don't really know how to describe it... But anyways they were pretty good I have no idea about any of the song titles. But on their last song they brought up some dude who knew every fucking song and that guy got to sing with them. 6/10

After Slaves On Dope Hurt was up so we checked them out.

Hurt- Not really much I can say. I don't like them. I couldn't get into them at all they don't sound remotely heavy really but I watched them and not my cup of tea. 4/10

After this we went and sat on an hill in the back and watched It Lies Within. These guys had a pretty cool metalcore sound when I saw them last year. This year they took an complete 180. They sounded like really shitty deathcore with weird as hell dubstep sounds mixed i. Fuck them that is all. Next up was In This Moment.

In This Moment- Now I can't get into these guys at all. But Maria Brink is great to look at aside from her face. But finally a pit opened up so I spent my time in there for their set. They played a whole bunch of new songs which sucked and what was weird they didn't play "Beautiful Tragedy" which I thought was their most popular song. Pretty forgettable but finally some action started. 5/10

After In This Moment nothing really happened just a couple of forgettable bands.

Psychostick- These guys kick ass live. So much fun live they are funny as hell and who doesn't like yelling the words to "BEER IS BEER IS GOOD, AND STUFF". Good shit nothing much too say about these guys. 7/10

After Psychostick I had nothing else to do but watch Falling In Reverse. Those guys(or women not quite sure) were fucking horrible. In all honesty I would've rather have had Asking Alexandria or The Devil Wears Prada. Just horrible that's all I gotta say bout that. After that was My Darkest Days they were shit also but the funny part was people actually trying to mosh then fights started breaking out and people started to get arrested. That was the most entertainment during their set. After those two we had time to kill so we walked around hung out in the parking lot by this time Blue Felix was suppose to come on but they were running behind and it took forever for Blue Felix so by the time they started Clutch was suppose to be starting plus the sound was horrible so I said fuck it and made my way to see the band I paid $25 for.

Clutch- I walked in just as they came on stage and the place erupted. I made my way past the huge fucking mud pit where people were just covered in that shit and I made my way up to the real pit. Now I didn't anticipate this but Clutch pits are fucking brutal lol. I got up in there and people were fucking dancing I was like lolwut then when the song kicked in people went fucking crazy. It was fucking crazy. Then about 5 minutes into their set fights started breaking out everywhere shit was getting rough in there. But the dust settled and people went back to having a kickass time. Also people were passing around joints like nothing so I kindly took a few hits. Now for the actual band they sounded phenomenal. Seriously they were fucking amazing combined with the crowd who were going crazy the whole set it is easily one of the top 5 performances I have seen. The stand out songs they played were "Mob Goes Wild", "Electric Worry", "50,000 Unstoppable Watts". They also played a couple of new songs which sounded fucking awesome. They said they would be entering the studio in late September to record it. Great fucking set 10/10

After the set made my way back to my mom's car which in the morning she would bitch me out for getting mud all over the interior oh well it was a great show. Sure their was a whole bunch of shitty bands but Clutch made the $25 worth it just by themselves.

• FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    Falling in reverse came to My subway. I thought they were girls