Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    For our date, Anthrax overlapped by about ten min.
    fuck, Anthrax are the only side stage band whose set i want to see 100%

But then again, I saw Anthrax's headlining tour in November from the rail at my venue, and they played every song from Mayhem, i might go meet AILD, then watch the rest of Anthrax from afar.

Or not... ~X(
    inb4lists
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    Meet AILD.
    I love winning with women
    Just a couple moar questions.

1) Did most of the bands have posters or something to give/sign at the meet and greet? Like how Machine Head did last year?

2) Did you see any band members walking around during other bands?
    inb4lists
    I know that Scott/Anthrax had a free poster thing and same with TDWP. Other than that, AILD's was "free" with the required laminate purchase.

I didn't see many band members walking around in the public areas, though.
    So you don't have to buy Worship Music to meet them?

As for AILD, it's $25? For the laminate with the code, the poster and the meet&greet?
    inb4lists
    Surprisingly no. Or at least I don't think so for Scott. He wasn't at the Anthrax tent and they were those big posters, supposedly free.

The AILD thing is $20.
    so Scott signed separate? Weird....
    inb4lists
    I just hope Charlie is better by the 13th [-O<
    inb4lists
    Well when I was getting some Rockstar at the big tent, all I saw was him. Might have been the whole band, if so, I didn't see the others.
    I will be slightly disappointing if i'ts just Scott, because it says "Anthrax signing", not "Scott Ian signing" lol, i don't expect to see Jason though.
    inb4lists
    Probably was Anthrax now that I think about it.
    Well assuming i do go, I'll watch UABB, then go meet Anthrax, catch the end of Whitechapel, and merch hunt/hang out till until the AILD meet and greet, watch the rest of Anthrax and head to the main stage.
    inb4lists
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    You have to buy aild's new album to meet them
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    One interesting thing about the as I lay dying purchase. You're pre ordering the new album and you will get it a week early as well.
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    My friend whom is a massive AILD fan can't go to mayhem.

*several weeks later*

Me: Hey man, have you heard the new AILD album? It's awesome

Him: what are you talking about? It doesn't come out for another week.

Me: o rly? *holds up cd*

Him: okay.jpg

Me: *le sir*

inb4lists
    Ah yes... and this happened.

• streetsstreets Posts: 3,351 just the tip
    edited July 2012
    happens at almost every show around here. and it's always the same guy
    happens at almost every show around here. and it's always the same guy
    Yeah, and also the Mayhem here, the same guy always gets thrown out for starting fights.

It's sort of a tradition. lol
    inb4lists
  • That_Guy_ArloThat_Guy_Arlo Posts: 14,026 master of ceremonies
    Mayhem Festival - Dallas TX - 7/10/2012

Got to the venue in plenty of time and had to sit in this lounge area before the main gates were opened. Ended up meeting Jillian aka "Trixie" while in line and I kinda wish I hadn't said anything cause that girl was quiet as hell for someone who posted as much as she did. Whatever, I'll just remember to avoid it next time lol Anyways, on to the show itself.

Upon A Burning Body - Great start to the day as these guys brought it hard. I love the mafia outfits and the music was friggin awesome as usual. Couldn't have picked a better setlist either as they included "Texas Blood Money" which came as a surprise to me when I first realized they were doing it. Maybe I'm just biased because they're from Texas but it was a good set. 8/10

Whitechapel - A double shot of deathcore to start the day? Sure, why not. I've got to say though, Whitechapel sounded great for me, I know others have said they keep getting worse, but they played a really solid set at Mayhem. Phil was hitting all his parts and the rest of the band played well. New songs sounded great, and I love that they're opening the set with "Possession", my personal favorite of theirs. Also participated in their wall of death just for the hell of it, which was pretty damn brutal as to be expected. Always a good time seeing them. 8.5/10

As I Lay Dying - This was probably the most anticipated band for me for the entire festival as I hadn't seen them in well over 3 years. My god did they ever bring one hell of a good show. Great sound, and such energetic stage presence had me just standing in awe as the set went along. Loved the setlist too, although I just really wished they could have played for longer because half an hour flies by so fast when you're watching them. I will definitely not wait another 3+ years to see them again. 9.5/10

Betraying The Martyrs - Figured I'd catch whichever Sumerian band was playing on their tent stage and was pretty excited to find out it was BtM as I've never seen them before. Fun band to watch live, the frontman is a friggin maniac on stage and the music is some catchy shit. They got a pretty good crowd reaction too. I'd really like to see them indoors as the Sumerian stage doesn't really do them much of a service. 7.5/10

Asking Alexandria - Another band I was really excited to watch, and while you can hate all you'd like, I thought they were a ton of fun live. I will say though, the vocalist isn't the best clean singer ever, but they still impressed me with their show. They fit in a lot better on Mayhem than I first thought they would, the crowd was into them and the songs they played were pretty heavy. A+ Would do service again. 8/10

There was one downer during their set though. During their last song, I decided it would be a good time to crowdsurf so I asked some people around me to lift me up, and they did. I was making my way to the front pretty well and actually got grabbed by a security guard as I started to feel my shoe become loose. I look back to see this big dude in the front row straight up take my shoe off and just throw it behind him into the crowd. I couldn't even react as I tried to run around back into the crowd to try and find it. I couldn't find it before the end of the song and I couldn't find it during the entire transition time between AA and Anthrax. The crowd started getting bigger for Anthrax so I had to call off my search until after they were through.

At this point I'm starting to think that I'm going to be without a fucking shoe for the rest of the damn day so I'm not really in the greatest mood to watch Anthrax, but I stood towards the back and try to give them a fair listen. More to this story in just a bit...

Anthrax - It was cool to see them live finally but after what just had happened I can't say I really cared to see them at that moment. Regardless, they sounded good, and Joey has one hell of a voice for his age. Their songs come off much better live as I've never really been able to get into them on album. I actually wouldn't mind seeing them again sometime, just in a better mood lol 7.5/10

So towards the end of Anthrax's set I start realizing that I'm going to have to miss TDWP so I can look for my shoe, almost giving up hope that I'll ever see it. But then out of nowhere, on the complete other side of the crowd, I see my shoe go fucking flying across the crowd and I just take off towards it trying to see if I can get to it before someone else throws it. It ends up getting thrown like 2 more times until it's caught by this guy like 10 feet away and I chase him down and grab it. I lift it up like some kind of victorious moment and people around me start clapping and high fiving me lol It was probably the best moment I've ever experienced at Mayhem, as I had a whole new appreciation for shoes after being without one for almost an hour. Oh and I was also able to catch all of TDWP's set.

The Devil Wears Prada - Wow these guys are brutal live. The lead singer was on an absolute rampage and the band played really friggin well too. They are a lot heavier live than I had anticipated and the amount of energy they displayed on stage was incredible. They also played 2 songs off the Zombie EP which made me pretty happy as well, as that's what finally turned me around to liking them. I would pay a pretty good amount to see them again after watching this performance, god damn. 9.25/10

Motörhead - They may have been around since the time of the dinosaurs, but this band can still put on a great show! Great hard-driving rock and roll that was really well played. Being able to finally see Lemmy live was really cool as well, as I don't know if I'll ever get another chance to see this band again. I only recognized maybe 2 of their songs but I wasn't bored at any point in their set as I really liked everything I heard. Seeing them live really makes me want to listen to them more. 8.5/10

Slayer - Ok, I gave them a chance, I really did, but god damn they still bored me to fucking tears. In fact I got so tired of them that my friend and I ended up watching most of their set from the lawn even though we had PIT tickets. I even layed down for a while until I heard them play Angel Of Death and sat up for that and Raining Blood. I really hope I don't have to see them again, they were literally about to put me to sleep. 3/10 inb4Jayface

Slipknot - As tired as I was, I still made sure to get as close as I could for Slipknot as I hadn't seen them since the very 1st Mayhem Festival. Great show put on by these guys, even without Jim Root, who has had to miss all the Mayhem dates for far because of medical reasons. And as ridiculous as Slipknot may be, they really do go all out for their live performances. Sid was jumping in the corwd and flying all over the place, Clown's antics are always fun to watch, and Corey Taylor went so hard he literally passed out right after the last song of the night and had to be carried off stage by crew members. Setlist was alright too, although I really wish I could have heard Liberate or Left Behind, but oh well it's Slipknot, it's going to be a good show regardless. Overall a really fun/intense set that finished off a really interesting day for me to say the least. 9/10
    Lmao @ meeting Trixie =))