Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    Short review of The Jamboree.

Showed up a little bit before Whitechapel, was pissed because nobody checked my ticket making me think I wasted $25. Eventually some chick was like "Where is you're wristband?" and made me break out the ticket. Anyway, Whitechapel came on and the place went nuts. Either I'm just starting to not like Whitechapel, or they just get worse every time I see them. I'm sure this wasn't completely their fault, the sound was shitty and they kept having trouble...but I just wasn't in to it. Doesn't help they played nothing but songs of New Era and their EP that I haven't listened to. End of their set was funny. Phil goes "We're gonna play Eternal Refuge," then immediately says "Nevermind, we're playing a different song." Then after that song, he goes "Now we're gonna play Eternal Refuge," then immediately says "Nevermind, we're out of time." And they just fucking walked off the stage like that. I couldn't help but laugh, but the kids went nuts. 6.5/10

While I expected a lot of people to leave after Whitechapel, I wasn't expecting nearly as much...It was like the place was empty. No biggie, all the scene kids were gone now. I wore a Cephalic Carnage shirt to separate myself from the regular crowd, and a few people noticed it and it started convos. I've been to shows where they throw out water bottles, but holy shit it's like they had too many and couldn't keep them. By the time they were done throwing water bottles, half the people in the front had two. TBDM was scheduled to go on at 9:30.. That wasn't happening because it was 9:30 when Phil goes "we're out of time." Still, set up was only supposed to take 20 minutes according to the schedule. Well it was more like 45 minutes by the time they hit the stage. Pretty sure there were a ton of sound problems though, there were cables being moved and replaced left and right. Anyway, they came out and killed it like expected. Wasn't much action from the crowd at all. Last time they played here, the venue was smaller so the crowd was compact...this time it was a big ass stage so they were spread out. Still loved it, glad I got to hear some Ritual songs. As I expected, the set was longer than Apes, but not as long as the regular headlining set. 9/10

A Shrine to Madness
    Moonlight Equilibrium
    What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse
    A Vulgar Picture
    Malenchantments of the Necrosphere
    Conspiring With the Damned
    Necropolis
    Den of the Picquerist
    Carbonized in Cruciform
    Everything Went Black
    Miasma
    On Stirring Seas of Salted Blood
    I Will Return
    Funeral Thirst

Looks like we missed out on Blood in the Ink and Deathmask Divine. I'll live.

Would've much rather have seen the TBDM/Nile/Skeletonwitch/Hour of Penance tour.
    image Photobucket
  • That_Guy_ArloThat_Guy_Arlo Posts: 14,026 master of ceremonies
    End of their set was funny. Phil goes "We're gonna play Eternal Refuge," then immediately says "Nevermind, we're playing a different song." Then after that song, he goes "Now we're gonna play Eternal Refuge," then immediately says "Nevermind, we're out of time." And they just fucking walked off the stage like that. I couldn't help but laugh, but the kids went nuts
    =))

That's fucking hilarious.
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    Remove -

A shrine to madness
    A vulgar picture
    Conspiring with the damned
    Carbonized in cruciform

And that's the set I had
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • TiradesOfTruthTiradesOfTruth Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
    When I saw Whitechapel at Summer Slaughter last year they were pretty boring granted I'm not a huge fan but I expected better.
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    Either I'm just starting to not like Whitechapel, or they just get worse every time I see them.
    I know that feel.
    I love winning with women
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,596 spicy boy
    it could have been that i don't know there songs...but i literally couldn't understand anything he said....they didn't do anything to get the crowd into the show either...it was just lame...just cause i don't like the band doesn't mean i can give an unbiased review...i went to the show and stayed sober until they were over so i could give them a fair shot as i have been told by many people to see them in a club. and they were as bad as ever
    edited April 2012
    staying sober thru anyones set makes it more boring doe, i specifically told you to smoke first lamerz
    If you have to be drunk or high to enjoy music the music isn't good.
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    you dont have to but it def helps..weve been over this..you have never seen a show high so u technically cant even comment... and it just makes it better just like being high makes food taste better makes sex better etc..
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Either I'm just starting to not like Whitechapel, or they just get worse every time I see them.
    I enjoyed them at Mayhem 2009 but I thought they sounded lazy at Summer Slaughter. My theory is that back in 09 they were a new band trying to make a name for themselves, but now they're huge and make so much money from shirt sales that they feel like they don't have to try
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    That's my exact theory too.
    I love winning with women
    So you're saying you have to alter your state of mind to enjoy things in life? That's pretty sad sir.
    Phil seems to barely half ass it. I never bought that he was actually doing the lyrics to the deep ass gutterals or whatever they're called in the beginning of Eternal Refuge..But this time it didn't seem like he was doing much at all. The guys were nice though and came out after the set and apologized for it being cut short.
    image Photobucket
  • SkullAndCrossbonesSkullAndCrossbones Posts: 16,452 destroyer of motherfuckers
    i need to go to more kittie shows. i was surrounded by vaginas :> . even though the 2 girls to my left and the one to my right weren't very attractive but that could be explained by the fact that i was in upstate ny LOL. plus i am madly in love with tara =P~ :x
    "That's another thing I love about metal, it's so fuckin' huge yet certain people don't even know it exists." - Rob Zombie
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    Got home from the Protest The Hero concert about an hour ago.
    ---
    Protest The Hero - I love this band on cd and they were amazing live, their sound, setlist, presence, and overall performance was great, i recommend any fan of Progressive music to see them live. 9/10

Periphery - Extremely disappointing live, it's almost as if the band didn't care about playing the show, the singer kind of came off... as a jerk too, i still like them on cd but have no intentions of paying to see them live again. 3/10

Jeff Loomis - I love everything he did with his band Nevermore, and now playing with his own band, he is by far the best guitarist I've ever seen live, his playing was mindblowing and enough to make even the most ambitious guitarists want to give up, because they could never be as good as he is, best sound quality of the show. 8/10

The Safety Fire - Didn't really know much about this band before the show, but they surprised me, a great up-and-coming Progressive band, check them out. 6/10

Today I Caught The Plague - Another new up-and-coming band, their music is great, the only problem was i couldn't hear the vocals over the loud guitars, this was also their first time ever in America, the current tour they're on, I'll have to give their album a listen. 5/10
    inb4lists
    I'm surprised about Periphy, I don't listen to them much but I'm a fan on facebook. They seem like some cheery ass dudes that love what they do.
    image Photobucket
    The singer was kinda drunk, maybe that had something to do with it, but he was kinda of a douchebag.

Idk, it might have been a bad night, but they weren't good tonight.
    inb4lists
    Protest The Hero setlist

Sex Tapes
    Bloodmeat
    Termites
    Goddess Bound
    Goddess Gagged
    Tongue-Splitter
    Turn Soonest To The Sea
    Limb From Limb
    Hair Trigger
    Blindfolds Aside
    Sequoia Throne
    C'est la Vie

Periphery setlist

Zyglrox
    Totla Mad
    Frak The Gods
    Buttersnips
    Letter Experiment
    Drum Interlude/solo
    Icarus Lives!
    The Walk

inb4lists
    I am an idiot, apparently the "instrumental jam" from Godsmack wasn't a jam, it was "The Oracle"

#-o
    inb4lists