Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,282 mod
    Where's the full review, faggot?

• BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Show was amazing. I'm covered in sweat. Lots of stupid people in the crowd. The Infected were good, they ditched their shitty vocalist. Nachtmystium were good but I was there for Danzig. Macabre had a really off night and I was there for Danzig. Youth Of Today were killer and covered Minor Threat (the song) but I was there for Danzig. Danzig set was fucking perfect, backdrops were fucking awesome, Doyle was the fucking man.
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
    Cro Mags review:

Holy fuck. Craziest show I've ever been to. Lots of hardcore dancers but it didn't matter.
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
  • That_Guy_ArloThat_Guy_Arlo Posts: 14,026 master of ceremonies
    edited October 2011
    Crush Em' All Tour - Dallas TX - 10/7/2011

It had been 2 years since I'd seen After The Burial, so this show had been long overdue for me. I caused my car to get a flat tire earlier in the day that could have put me out of commission for the show but luckily my sister let me drive her truck to the venue, got to the place as the 2nd local band was playing their last song.

I, The Breather - Had never seen these guys before but had been wanting to for awhile. Stage presence was friggin intense, definitely didn't act like a Christian band on stage. Sound was great too, not too loud and while I know their music isn't exactly that technical, they still did a good job sounding clean live. If you're a fan of metalcore, give these guys a shot, but I wouldn't expect too many people from here to like this band very much. Solid start to the show, would like to see them on another tour in the future. 8/10

Within The Ruins - Another band I'd never seen before but have been listening to a little bit over the last few months. Played pretty well, the highlight of their set being my personal favorite song of theirs, "Versus". High energy band that the crowd was seemed much more familiar with than I was expecting. Never underestimate the popularity value of 'core' bands I suppose. Anyways, good set, happy I saw them, but wouldn't really care if I didn't get to see them again. 7.5/10

Misery Signals - This was a band I came in totally unfamiliar with so I didn't really know what to expect from them. Not bad stuff from what I saw. Solid metalcore act, can't say I really came away a fan though. Don't get me wrong, they were good, just nothing too special to take away from their live act that I've seen other bands be able to do. Check em out though. 7/10

After The Burial - The first headliner of the night, and the main reason I even came to this show. Started right off with my favorite song "Cursing Akhenaten" that caused the crowd to erupt with energy. I got right up front (which had an actual mosh pit, instead of all the karate going on behind us) and stayed there the entire set. This band's live show is really something special, great instrumental work, stage presence, and all kinds of cool flashy lights and shit. They played for about an hour, which is longer than I had seen them play before. They played just about everything I could have asked for, and I definitely can't wait to see them again. 9/10

Veil Of Maya - I was pretty damn tired after AtB, so I headed up with my friends to the upper balcony of the venue to watch VoM play. We still had a great view though of a band that even though I've seen 5 times now, I just cannot get tired of. Same praises about AtB can be said for this band too. Another amazing stage show with spot on instrumental play, great job by the vocalist as well, even during the instrumental song of their set "Pillars". The guy really knows how to get a crowd moving. Damn near perfect set list from these guys as well, I really like seeing them in a headlining position. 8.75/10

Overall a great show that I'm very happy I was able to see. Only complaint was all the fighting that happened, especially towards the end of the show. These brocore kids are some of the most annoying people ever. Anyways, still didn't really take away from my enjoyment so I'm good. Oh and here's a pic from After The Burial's set that my friend took:

Photobucket
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    ATB and Veil alternate headlining?
    I love winning with women
    Yeah, it's a co-headlining deal. They get the same amount of time at least.
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    Hmm... I'm hoping ATB closes my date on Wednesday...
    I love winning with women
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    Mushroomhead setlist is posted. I dunno how accurate it is since I don't listen to them on album lol. The songs I do know I've learned from seeing them 3 times haha.

Come On
    BWOMP
    12 Hundred
    Sun Doesn't Rise
    Save Us/Embrace the Ending
    Kill Tomorrow
    Solitaire Unraveling
    Harvest the Garden
    Damage Done
    Simple Survival
    Erase the Doubt
    Becoming Cold (216)
    Never Let It Go
    Burn the Bridge
    Empty Spaces (Pink Floyd cover)
    Born of Desire
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    Never Let It Go
    Oh how I hope they play this live when I see them later this month. Seen them 5 times and they've never had this song in their setlist.
    Hmm... I'm hoping ATB closes my date on Wednesday...
    I'm kinda glad they didn't close my date, I would have been wayyyy too worn out for them by the time they started playing
  • SkullAndCrossbonesSkullAndCrossbones Posts: 16,452 destroyer of motherfuckers
    good review, arbro. veil of maya is one of the best sounding deathcore bands live that i've seen.
    "That's another thing I love about metal, it's so fuckin' huge yet certain people don't even know it exists." - Rob Zombie
  • EpisodeEpisode Posts: 32,049 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited October 2011
    ODD FUCKING FUTURE - October 14th, 2011 - The Metro - Chicago, Illinois.

Absolutely everything about this show was absolutely perfect, from the 7 hours spent waiting, to the insanity of the actual show. This was officially the best day of my life.

So, I get there at about 2:00, and there was only one dude there before me, and to my extreme jealousy, he told me that literally five minutes before I got there, he met Tyler, Tyler shot some pictures with him, signed his Goblin album cover, and Left Brain took a hit of his blunt. So, I was pissed a bit, but whatever. So luckily, this dude was cool as fuck (As was a lot of the other people that were towards the front of the line.) and made time pass by quickly, ended up smoking a fatass blunt with him (Right outside the venue in the open, 0fucksgiven style.), met a cool ass bad bitch and got her number (Thank you weed for confidence to actually fucking talk.) and ended up getting extremely funny entertainment for our high asses for the next couple hours. First off, this one homeless dude kept walking back and forth, and came back to the line about 5-6 times. Each time, he was shouting shit extremely loud about how "Everybody needs somebody." and "God bless y'all." So, he comes back for the fifth time, roughly, and dude out of nowhere screams FUCK DA POLEESE, and we all fucking lost it, and he went on a rant "SEE DIS PUSSY ASS SECURITY GUARD? FUCK 'EM! HE AIN'T SHIT. FUK DA POLEESE DEM NIGGUHS IS NOTHIN'." So we continued to get free entertainment. Later this older dude was walking by us, and he asked me "What's the name of the group that's playing tonight?" I said Odd Future. He comes back like 10 minutes later, "I'm sorry, who's playing again? Golf WAAAANG?" And we busted out laughing, doesn't sound funny reading it, but his expression and way he said it was priceless. Then we get some more free comedy, another bum comes around, clearly drunk, and I'm not entirely sure what set him off, but he starts screaming at the security, getting in their faces, pushing them, so big black security guard is about to open a can of whoop ass, and then the other fat white security guard got in the way, and the bum starts calling him a pussy and shit, and dude looks like he's about the stick the bum, and then the black guard pulled him off and said "Don't bother." and the white dude, playing around, said "I love you, I would've beaten the fuck out of him and lost my job." and then he slapped his ass. So the bum saw it, and sat there for like five minutes repeatedly screaming "FAGGOT. FAGGOT ASS NIGGUH." and we're all in tears laughing. Then we go out with a big bang for our sideline entertainment. This dyke gothic looking bitch, looked like Keira Knightley in that one movie, forgot the title, apparently tried to sneak in the venue. So, the security found her, and quite literally threw her out of the venue. So, she's sitting there all pissed off, then had a meltdown about something and screamed "OH I'M SO FUCKING STUPID." So, she stands against the wall again all pissed off, so the big black security guard comes out again, and said "Who's 'causing problems? ....*Looks around.* THIS girl?" And he laughed. So bitch comes over all hard, mind you, only 4'11, if that, and this security guard was taller than me and fucking huge, and she's like "THIS GIRL? THIS FUCKING GIRL?!?" and she got in his face like she was gonna punch him, so he was like "Get the fuck out of here, or you'll be arrested.". So she leaves, 10 minutes later, she must've walked around the block, we see her running at the black security guard, and she literally stuck him in his face, so he brings her down to the ground, and her boyfriend is sitting there crying like a bitch "WAH THAT'S MY GIRLFRIEND DON'T HANDLE HER LIKE THAT." and the guard's like "She sucker punched me, that's alright?". Boyfag continues to rage, and they said she was gonna get arrested, and the other guard was like "Fuck it, let her go." So she gets up, and tries to swing at him again, and he grabs her, and literally fucking throws her, and she went flying into a pole, and then boyfag got in his face trying to be all hard telling him not to "assault" her like that. Nigguh didn't do shit. So as they both started walking away, we all started a slow clap. And then the manager of the venue was like "...I guess this is where you guys start a 'SWAG' chant." and we all did and got the whole line screaming SWAG. Shit was some of the lulziest shit I've ever witnessed in my life.

Anyways, in between all of this shit, earlier in the day, I ALMOST fucking met Wolf Gang. They pulled up in their little half tour bus (Just a little black one to go around the city with.) Right on the curb in front of us. So we're all standing there, shitting our pants (There was maybe only 10 of us in the line at this point.) thinking we're about to meet them, Syd comes out, and I was literally right by her, and a few people got autographs and a picture, but she rushed away before I could get anything. Then Jasper came out and immediately took off on his skateboard. Tyler snuck out of the other side and went in the venue. Then Mike G and Hodgy were literally 2-3 feet away from me when they came out, and we all tried to stop them for a second, but they said "We'll be back." And never came back. We saw Left Brain walking on the street too, but he was rushing as well. Same with Domo, rushed off and said he'll be back. Very disappointing, but I WILL eventually meet them.

Also, one more funny ass story before I get into the full review. This happened right before the show started. So I get in, and I'm front and fucking center. This prissy ass stuck up bitch is behind me right, and is talking in the most stereotypical valley girl fucking bullshit voice, and keeps telling me "YOU'RE SO FACKING HUGE YOU NEED TO FACKING MOVE, YOU'RE FACKING TALL AND I CAN'T FACKING SEE SHET YOU CAN FACKING AFFORD TO MOVE ONE SPACE BACK, YOU'LL STILL SEE EVERYTHING." So I turned around, I was like "Bitch, I've been here for 8 fucking hours now, I stood outside in the cold all day and earned this fucking spot, sorry Ms. Priss can't get what she wants right now, but move to the fucking left or right behind someone that isn't tall." So, for the next 20 minutes, bitch proceeds to keep pushing me as hard as she can and trying to get on the rail, leading up to her eventually punching me in the back and slapping the back of my head, so I finally elbowed that cunt as hard as I fucking could and said "FUCKING MOVE CUNT, YOU'RE NOT GETTING UP HERE." So she moves left, but proceeds to do what she was doing to me, to everyone else, and people are NOT putting up with it. So, about 3 songs into Wolf Gang's set, she was crowd surfing, and had on an extremely short skirt that was only held together with a couple buttons, so the crowd pulled it off and we all got a clear pussy shot, so she was crying like a bitch, and we were all like "KARMA IS A FUCKING BITCH!" and highfiving eachother, and she told us all how worthless we are, and got kicked out of the venue.

• EpisodeEpisode Posts: 32,049 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited October 2011
    So FINALLY, onto the what became the night of my life.

Syd came out and DJ'd some songs for about 15 minutes, and immediately, I could tell how fucking punishing this show was gonna be. All she was doing was playing songs over the PA, no one performing, and everyone was going absolute apeshit, and I was being crushed against the rail. I've been on the rail numerous times, and this show made every single Metal show look like child's play. That's not just a shot because I don't like Metalheads, but I'm dead serious. I almost left the rail, but the experience of being front and center was too amazing. At this point after the show, I can barely walk, possibly cracked a rib, hips are fucked, back is fucked, neck is fucked, left arm is fucked. So fucking worth it though and didn't really dampen the experience. But yea, for the full 2 hours, it was constant pressure to the point where I was struggling to breathe, with almost no let up, and people kept trying to squeeze in, so the constant fighting to keep my spot is what fucked up my arm. My arm got pinched between the rail and this bitch's arm and started to go numb and now feels like I have a pinched nerve.

Anyways, all of Wolf Gang finally came out, and I absolutely lost it. I'm not gonna do a track by track review, it was like a 25 or so song setlist, every song was fucking amazing, that's all there is to it. The highlights of the night though, was Wolf Gang noticing my tattoo, I kept raising my sleeve and pointing to it. Tyler noticed it, looked at me, nodded, and looked me directly in the eyes and started screaming the fucking song to me. Inb4 the Erik's a faggot shit, but that shit was magical for me. This dude who I look at as a God, finally noticing me and not just being an internet figure anymore and screaming right at me. My fucking stomach dropped, and I don't think I've ever been as truly and thoroughly happy as I was in that very moment ever before in my life. Me and my fucking hero, my idol, not 5 feet from eachother, screaming one of my favorite fucking songs at eachother. It was indescribable. It was like seeing the face of God. He kept looking over at me after that and kept smiling when I was screaming every word. I think after that, he came over to me more than anyone else, we kept getting face to face almost every song. Second to notice the tattoo was Left Brain. He saw it, his eyes widened, and he just cheesed like a kid in a candy store and slapped my hand like a motherfucker like "DAS WASSUP NIGGUH." and proceeded to go face to face with me and scream at me like Tyler. Hodgy was the last to see it, and he just smiled, grabbed a Sharpie, and came right up to me and drew an inverted cross on my forehead with a Sharpie and pointed at me. I felt like God at that point. Hodgy is arguably my favorite in Wolf Gang, and that meant the fucking world. I'm the only one he did it to. My stomach dropped again. To have him notice me like that was one of the moments that will stick out to me for the rest of my life. Tyler, Left Brain, and Hodgy all kept stage diving and kept landing on me, Tyler's sweaty ass bare foot was in my face lolz, gross. But one of the times that he was being pushed back up to the stage, his head was right by me, and the mic was inches away from me, and I screamed into it along with him, and he smiled and pointed at me on his way back up to the stage. Shit was amazing. Anyways, particular song highlights, Yonkers was fucking dope. He got a stool like he used in the video and re-enacted the video on the stool while performing. Radicals of course, was fucking mental. Last song. (Earl technically was, but they just let it play over the PA as a tribute to him.) The rail literally almost tipped over, I thought I was about to die. Once again, during the chorus, me and Tyler made eye contact and were screaming KILL PEOPLE, BURN SHIT, FUCK SCHOOL at eachother, and it was such a fucking powerful feeling. I could barely breathe, but I pushed myself to fucking lose it during that song. That song live...there's nothing that could describe it. It's so empowering, and just makes me want to destroy everything in sight. Other highlights were igotagun, Fuck The Police (Which was just fucking ridiculous, that beat is monstrous. Had almost the same effect as Radicals.). Everything That's Yours was so dope. It's a really mellow song, and when usually, every member adds in adlibs or spits certain lines in every song, they just let Mike G swag it out and do his thing by himself, and he fucking killed it. French! was ridiculous, the place exploded. They cut it one verse short because Tyler was starting to have an asthma attack and needed to use his inhaler. Bitch Suck Dick was just ridiculously fun. They had constant flickering strobe lights throughout the whole song, and were just having a blast on stage and fucking around, everyone started dancing and shit, it's just a fun and funny song as it is. Shit, what else? I don't know, those were the main highlights as far as individual songs. Oh, and Sandwitches was retardedly fucking crazy. I exploded. If there was any song that was gonna blow my voice out tonight, it was that one. They opened with 64, which is one of my favorite MellowHype songs, and I screamed my head off for that fucking hook. I don't know though, I think I pretty much said everything that had to be said. The personal experiences were ten times better than the actual performance for me, and is what made the show for me. Just Tyler looking directly at me and fucking screaming his songs at me, is something I'll never forget. And of course, Hodgy doing that shit with the inverted cross and noticing me, I'm just still speechless.

I've literally never been as happy as I was tonight, I'm not just being a fanboy right now either, real talk. I truly discovered what pure fucking joy was tonight. I've never felt happiness like that with absolutely nothing else on my mind. You think this shit is a phase, or fad, and fail to realize what they truly mean to me. They're the only thing, besides the pursuit of my own Music career, that keeps me alive and happy. And tonight was fucking special. Beyond special. I'm just speechless, and give Wolf Gang endless thanks for giving me the best day of my life. And this wasn't the first time seeing them, but the first time wasn't up close and personal at all, this was. They're the fucking world to me, and I can't put a rating on a night that I'll never forget and look back at as truly the best day of my life. It's obviously the best show I've ever been to, but it's so much bigger than a concert to me. It was a chance to be something I haven't been in a long fucking time, truly fucking happy, even if only for one night. But all good things gotta end. Can't wait for Round 3 with the Gang Of Wolves. Priceless/10
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    Mushroomhead setlist is posted. I dunno how accurate it is since I don't listen to them on album lol. The songs I do know I've learned from seeing them 3 times haha.

Come On
    BWOMP
    12 Hundred
    Sun Doesn't Rise
    Kill Tomorrow
    Solitaire Unraveling
    Harvest the Garden
    Damage Done
    Simple Survival
    Erase the Doubt
    Becoming Cold (216)
    Never Let It Go
    Burn the Bridge
    Born of Desire
    The first half of that set is amazing. Then it goes down hill until the end song
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    I wish they'd replace that Pink Floyd cover with "Crazy". Haven't heard that song live since the first time I saw them back in early 08'.
    They should get JMann back and stop sucking
  • SkullAndCrossbonesSkullAndCrossbones Posts: 16,452 destroyer of motherfuckers
    he's in a new band now called Scelestus
    "That's another thing I love about metal, it's so fuckin' huge yet certain people don't even know it exists." - Rob Zombie
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod

Come On
    BWOMP
    12 Hundred
    Sun Doesn't Rise
    Kill Tomorrow
    Solitaire Unraveling
    Harvest the Garden
    Damage Done
    Simple Survival
    Erase the Doubt
    Becoming Cold (216)
    Never Let It Go
    Burn the Bridge
    Born of Desire
    The first half of that set is amazing. Then it goes down hill until the end song
    Haters gonna hate.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    >See concert review thread
    >See Jay post
    > :D
    > Open thread
    > Senseless babbling
    > Throw phone
    > Go to bed
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    I wasn't hating though jay
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    Anthrax/Testament/Death Angel

I got in for free. Fuck the police.

Got in the venue, met up with all of the regulars. Saw Aaron (Metal Crusades) so I met him for the first time and we chatted briefly.

Death Angel - Solid performance. I wasn't big on their newer songs but the old shit sounded good.

Testament - Awww yeeeeeah! Excellent set that sounded phenomenal. Sucks we got Tempesta instead of Hoglan but it didn't really matter. Joined the circle pit for Over The Wall, was fun. As the set progressed, I totally forgot about Into The Pit, so when they announced it I headed back into the circle pit because LAID TO REST IS MY FAVORITE SONG. Overall a killer performance and I can't wait to see them again.

Anthrax - Their sound for most of the set was fucking terrible. The bass triggers were up so loud, I felt like my testicles were going to explode. Was not a fan of the new songs. Joey's voice sounded a bit weak. That all aside, their performance was great. I enjoyed the classics and moshed for Caught In A Mosh and Antisocial. Started to for Indians but I stepped on the back of my shoe, folding it in lol. Didn't really care about the rest of the set because I had seen the setlist. I expected the encore to just be Metal Thrashing Mad and I Am The Law. Suddenly Scott Ian starts playing the intro to Among The Living. Shit just got real. Moshed for the first half of the song, it was easily the best part of their entire set. Even the mix was better at this point. Crowdsurfed for the first time at the end of Metal Thrashing Mad.

Overall, not bad for a free show.