Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• AdamAdam Posts: 11,533 balls deep
    I wish i could see rise against and the foo fighters.
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    It's worth it if you have to make a trip
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    Arch Enemy / DevilDriver / Skeletonwitch / Chthonic
    9/29/11 Tempe, AZ

Great show, horrible interview.

I got there a bit early to do my interview with Michael Amott. Dirk, the Swedish tour manager was incredibly nice and welcomed me backstage, which was awesome. Things were going great... till I met Michael. He payed little attention to me. He picked up his guitar and played solos throughout the interview and wouldn't answer my question until he was done with a solo. And when he DID answer, they were very brief. Very disappointing, since Carcass is one of my favorite bands.

Ok so now, the actual show:

Chthonic - Very impressive. They were a very good opening band, and they got the crowd moving quite a bit. Funny as fuck too, because their singer has the most stereotypical Asian accent ever.
    "WE ARE CHTHONIC FROM TAIRRAAN! WE ARE HAPPERR TO BE HURR WITHA SKERETONRIIIIITCH!! *crowd cheers* ANDA DEVIRDRIVERRR!" *more cheers* ANDA ARRRRRCHHH ENENMERRRRRRR!!

Funny stuff, great performance. 9/10

Skeletonwitch - I'm not the biggest fan of their music, but they have yet to put on a bad show. And they're all very nice too, especially the singer. A lot of crowd involvement during their set too, which is always cool to see. 8/10

DevilDriver - Third time seeing them, but I've never moshed more in my entire life, including the wall of death, which quickly turned into a giant circle pit. I ended up headbanging so much during their set that I didn't know which way was up and which way was down for a few seconds. Unbelievable. One of their guitarists and I kept exchanging these weird facial expressions while I was in the photo pit taking pictures. 10/10

Arch Enemy - I'm not the biggest fan of female-fronted metal bands, but they did put on a good show. And honestly, I came in only knowing We Will Rise, Ravenous, and Nemesis. I spent the majority of my time in the pit for this one too, but I crowd surfed once. Best part was that at the end, I actually CAUGHT the drummer's drumstick :D WHICH is signed (printed on)... finally.

And then who should walk on stage at the end but Dirk... he saw me and he handed me the setlist. 8/10

Pics:

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    I love winning with women
  • KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer
    Devildriver \m/
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
  • TiradesOfTruthTiradesOfTruth Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Devildriver \m/
    this
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    devildriver rated higher than skeletonwitch?? fail
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,596 spicy boy
    this is late but w/e

uproar

sevendust didn't play at my date :(

seether and 3 days grace do what they do and put on a good show

A7X is one of the worst live bands i have ever seen
  • streetsstreets Posts: 3,351 just the tip
    devildriver rated higher than skeletonwitch?? fail
  • That_Guy_ArloThat_Guy_Arlo Posts: 14,026 master of ceremonies
    Skrillex - Dallas TX - 9/28/2011

Had been looking forward to this show for a good while. Only my 2nd electronic show I'd ever been to. Got to the venue about 30ish minutes after the doors opened while the first of 3 openers had already started their set. Oh and on a side note this has got to be one of the strangest crowds I've ever seen. Anyways, on to the review:

Nadastrom - Had already begun as my buddies and I got to the venue. Now I'm no expert on electronic music, but these guys were pretty damn good as far as I'm concerned. Bumpy ass club/house music that had the crowd pretty hooked for an opener. Saw some kids rolling hard on X as well, so I'm just going to assume they liked what they heard too. I'll probably check these guys out on YouTube or something later. 7.5/10

Foreign Beggars - Garbage. Oh my god this group couldn't have been more fucking annoying. Came out with a DJ and two hype guys/rappers, one of which looking like the wankster twin of Aziz Ansari. Now, if it had only been the DJ this group would have at least been tolerable, not the best tunes but the songs had some pretty nice moment, all of which were ruined by the two rappers trying to horrifically freestyle over them and keep calling for the crowd to "put yo fucking hands uuuup" and "make some noooooooiiiissseeee!!!". God damn these dudes wouldn't shut the hell up. The worst part though was when Aziz jr said "so since we're in Dallas, let's give it up for the greatest guitar player of all time, Dimebag fucking Darrell!!!!!" which made me want to DESTROY A MOTHERFUCKER because I'm tired of Dimebag worship as it is, but now I'm hearing it at a fucking electronic show, FML. Oh and me also asked "yo where's my fucking mosh pit at?!" while the DJ sampled a part of Symphony Of Destruction which immediately got my attention as I got up (I was sitting with my friends at the back of the venue) and looked at the crowd.........which was completely dead. Rule #1 of electro shows, people don't mosh. You think he would have known...Anyways though as if I thought it couldn't get any worse, towards the end of the set the dumbass calls for the crowd to "split down the fucking middle" and asks if the crowd knew what a wall of death is. The "wall" they created ended up being, and I shit you not, even weaker than this crap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWZGj99Alh8
    Fuck this group. 3/10 (and that's being generous because they sampled Megadeth)

12th Planet - Thank heavens this dude was up next, as his tracks were absolutely slammin'. I honestly would have gotten my moneys worth just watching this guy alone. Tons of energy from him that seemed to spill out amongst the crowd. Also, watching people shuffle their asses off is a show in itself, I kinda wanna learn how to do it. Anyways, like I said I'm no expert on this music but what I heard form him I really enjoyed, every song was a flippen dance party. If you're going to this tour at least make sure to check this guy out cause he plays some sweet shit. 9/10

Skrillex - Now here's the guy that literally everyone in the venue came to see. My friends and I made our way down closer to the stage to get a better view/experience of the show, and my god it was incredible. He comes out to a deafening roar from the crowd, in front of one of the coolest stage set-ups I've seen. It was like a 3-D white screen that would have different images/backgrounds projected on it. You'd really have to see it to appreciate it. As for the music itself, it was near perfect. Played all the songs I loved from him including his remix of La Roux's song In For The Kill. My only complaint was that he sped up the song Kill Everybody way too much, as it's probably my favorite of his, yet he just had to speed that one up and play his others like they sound on the album (for the most part at least). I didn't keep track on how long he played but it seemed like quite awhile, not that I'm complaining. The crowd was much better than I was expecting too, many people packed in jumping around, banging their heads to the songs, instead of a more spread out/mellow crowd like I saw at Nocturnal Fest back in April. Overall, I had an amazing time watching him, and I see why he's considered to be such a good DJ. Great stage show and some flippen sweet tunes equal one awesome night. If you're a fan of electronic music, check this guy out, he certainly doesn't disappoint. 9.5/10
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    LOL THIS ISN'T MFH GAY
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
  • ZmbieFlavrdCupcakesZmbieFlavrdCupcakes Posts: 32,259 jayfacer
    id love to see Skrillex
    imageimage
    edited October 2011
    There's a Skrillex show on Saturday in Philly.
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
    ugh philly is so dreary
    imageimage
    I refuse to believe I just read that. [-(
    besides, i never drive into philly
    it makes me nervous
    imageimage
    You don't drive in Philly. -_- You drive your car to a Patco station in Jersey then take the Patco over to Philly.
    was it you that i had the conversation about public transportation or was it my friend cat? :-/
    imageimage
    Umm. No clue. I've advised many people about Philly public transit. Could've been me.
    well public transportation makes me feel weird
    i always think ima miss my stop or something so usually i only go with a large group of people
    i even looked at the bus route for RU [which im gonna have a problem with -_-] and tried to plan my route already
    imageimage
    RU buses are easy. I'll help you. Other people will help you. They get packed and tend to be late, but you get used to it. I live in the EE bus, occasionally the F.