Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    No clenching the fists either. How do they not play Davidian <________>
    Clenching is an 11 minute song. Did you honestly expect them to play it?

As for Davidian... I have no fucking idea... though I'm surprised they're playing Beautiful Mourning.
  • TiradesOfTruthTiradesOfTruth Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
    No clenching the fists either. How do they not play Davidian <________>
    Clenching is an 11 minute song. Did you honestly expect them to play it?

As for Davidian... I have no fucking idea... though I'm surprised they're playing Beautiful Mourning.
    Yeah Im surprised that they are playing Beutiful Mourning. For the amount of time Machine Head had to play that is a solid setlist.
  • AdamAdam Posts: 11,533 balls deep
    They opened with Clenching back in 08.
    Yeah, but they were in support of The Blackening in 08. Now they've got Locust.
  • SantanaSantana Posts: 16,743 juggalo
    edited July 2011
    Short review cause i'm tired. I'll post pics tomorrow maybe

Children of Bodom/Devin Townsend Project/Obscura/Septicflesh

Septicflesh: the main reason i was at the show. they put on a great show and had a good crowd response throughout. More horns and clapping than moshing but the crowd still seemed to like them a lot. I was disappointed to see they didn't play Anubis. I would rather have that than Persepolis but alas, it was not so. Got into the pit a couple times which was fun until the strobes came on and i couldn't see for a sec then someone would just appear in front of me and i would get knocked back. Fun show 7/10

oh and just like Brian said, when the singer said show me your devil horns, it sounded like tally or deli horns lol

Obscura: Here I had moved about 2 rows behind Ryan (Chew). I loved it when they played Septuagint and the one song they called "traditional-style death metal" (don't remember the name). Seemed too slow/sludgy for the people there although I liked it a lot. the singer said "ahh i see we're not into that type of death metal. We'll move onto something faster". Great set 7/10

Devin Townsend Project-Found the dude very strange. It was a good show but I just didn't get into Devin as much as everyone else did. I warmed up to the show when I paid more attention to just the music and not Devin. Fun show with mini mosh pits, extremely large mosh pits, and lots of pushing 6/10

Children of Bodom-I ended up leaving early because I wasn't feeling up to staying the whole time. I got through the first 3 songs and decided to bail after that. I had never gotten a good look at Alexi until tonight and realized how short the guy was. He seemed freaking tiny. That could be because i'm a fairly large person but he just seemed small. Put on a great show and I like the stage presence he had. Would probably be an 8-8.5/10 but i left early so i can only give it a 6.5/10

Also noticed the Septicflesh singer in the crowd for Bodom

Met up with Ryan during Bodom cause a few people ended up leaving so I got directly behind him. He was right on the rail so it was a very good view
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    The slow Obscura song is Ocean Gateways.

You guys didn't get Anubis? I'm pretty sure that we did....
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    Over The Limit 2011 (BURY YOUR DEAD, EVERGREEN TERRACE, OTHERS)

So yeah..... good show. Hardcore dancers out the asshole, but that was only to be expected. The only band I really and truly cared to see on the bill was Evergreen Terrace since I've been meaning to see them for five years now and I've already seen BYD before.

I got there somewhat late (yet still managed to be front and center lol)

Thick As Blood - Generic hardcore. Not bad, but nothing special either. 6/10

In The Midst of Lions - They actually sounded pretty good, so when they started out, I was like
    But then they proceeded to tell us all how God is here in our lives and he has a very special plan for each of us and we shouldn't drink or smoke or fuck or xvewamlesfrd,/.vbesrhntdrbvdda...and I'm like
    4/10

For The Fallen Dreams - More generic hardcore. Plus, they set up a stupid fucking podium step thing right in front of my face. 5/10

Evergreen Terrace - FUCKING AWESOME. The only thing that disappointed me about their set was that they didn't play my favorite song, "We're Always Losing Blood." And I mean come on... they were selling three variations of shirts with those words printed on it. But they more than made up for it by playing their cover of Mad World. I also got a pick from one of their guitarists and found another one after their set on the ground. All things considered, incredible set, tons of energy. Pics below. 10/10

Bury Your Dead - Second time seeing them, and they impressed me a bit more than the last time. Ended up with the setlist, pictured below. 9/10

Refresh this page as soon as you see this message.

I love winning with women
    Looks like I didn't even have to refresh. Disregard that message in my review.
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    Awesome Alex. My question is had you seen bury your dead before with myke or mat because that makes a huge difference
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    Awesome Alex. My question is had you seen bury your dead before with myke or mat because that makes a huge difference
    I saw them on Pedal to the Metal w/Mudvayne. It was the other singer. This guy was a lot better.

I think a lot/most dates got it. I saw that Persepolis was in some sets and not in others and some sets had 7 songs while others had 5. I guess ours was one of the unfortunate nights with 5 songs
  • Its_Meh_ChewIts_Meh_Chew Posts: 7,380 just the tip
    If i had to complain about Devin Townsend, is that the guitars weren't turned up loud enough so i had a hard time hearing them.
    I saw them on Pedal to the Metal w/Mudvayne. It was the other singer. This guy was a lot better.
    Lol well no shit it was better this time. Mat is a much better frontman especially for that band.
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • streetsstreets Posts: 3,351 just the tip

I think a lot/most dates got it. I saw that Persepolis was in some sets and not in others and some sets had 7 songs while others had 5. I guess ours was one of the unfortunate nights with 5 songs

was this at jaxx?
  • Its_Meh_ChewIts_Meh_Chew Posts: 7,380 just the tip
    ^yep. Jaxx is a great venue
  • streetsstreets Posts: 3,351 just the tip
    ^yep. Jaxx is a great venue
    im only about 2 hours from it and ive only been twice. and both times the staff was rude and the sound wasnt good at all
    Lol well no shit it was better this time. Mat is a much better frontman especially for that band.
    Yeah, they were pretty much Sevendust with more screaming when that Myke dude was in the band.

And what the hell kind of spelling is Myke?
    I hated the symphony orchestra cd but I thought it's nothing personal was pretty damn good and liked the direction they headed in with myke. But nothing can top cover your tracks and beauty and the breakdown for that band
    If i had to complain about Devin Townsend, is that the guitars weren't turned up loud enough so i had a hard time hearing them.
    This. Just remembered that. At times, especially during tremolo/palm muted parts the drums seemed way too loud. The vocals seemed low during the whole set also
    edited July 2011
    Mayhem Festival 2011
    Phoenix, AZ 7/15/11

Fucking incredible day. I had backstage access the whole day and the interview went perfectly. Anders is an awesome dude. I think one of the coolest parts of the day was being in the backstage press area and having reps from various sound/touring companies come up to me and give me their business cards and ask me if I would be interested in doing what they do. To me, that was really fucking cool. One step closer to my goal :) I actually ended up talking to a Centry Media rep and he told me that as soon as I got my internship opportunity (which is supposed to be next semester) to give CM a call so they can take me in. In terms of the rest of the day... honestly, I don't even know where to begin. But I'll try.

After I got done with the interview, I went over to the side stages.

All Shall Perish - I got there as they were in the middle of their set, but they were pretty good. No different from when I saw them last, but that's not a bad thing really. 7.5/10

After I watched them, I went over and grabbed a Machine Head poster and got in the signing line, but they cut the line off ten or so people before me, which sucked. But I still got a Machine Head poster lol. I went to watch Kingdom of Sorrow afterwards.

Kingdom of Sorrow - Really cool... one of the best bands of the day. It was a nice change to see Jamey in a band that wasn't Hatebreed. Very impressed with their set. 9/10

Went to meet the band afterward, very cool guys as expected. Following that, I went back to the backstage area, where I met Dan Donegan, who was a pretty nice guy. After THAT, I went to re-meet ASP, who recognized me from the interview in March.

Unearth - I watched them from the line to meet KOS. Nothing too out of the ordinary, but a good performance nonetheless. Granted, I only watched about half of their set. So from what I saw, 7/10

Suicide Silence - Watched their set from the ASP line. Again, only half of it, but I wasn't too impressed. I guess I had a bit more of an appreciation since this time I knew more of their songs, but still... meh. 5/10

Next, I went back to the backstage press area again, where Red Fang was hanging out. They're really cool guys... plain and simple. I would have stayed longer, but I didn't want to miss In Flames' set.

In Flames - Best band of the day. Anders' vocals were spot on. I was way into their set and almost threw my neck out during "Take This Life." 11/10

From there, I walked over to the other stage where Trivium was just about to play. People were gathered like a motherfucker to see them. I was actually planning on staying for a bit just because I'd only seen them one other ti-

"IIIIIIN WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVVVV-"

I sent back to the backstage area and sat on one of the couches. About ten seconds later, this (considerably) short, vaguely familiar guy comes up and sits next to me. I KNEW I'd seen him somewhere before. He goes "hey bro, mind if I sit here?" so I just say "sure" and he takes a seat next to me. That's when I noticed his laminate reflecting in the sunlight.
    "SULLY ERNA, GODSMACK"
    :O
    Kind of surprised, but trying to play it cool, I asked him if I could get a picture with him. He said sure, but as soon as he did and got ready to take one, one of his security guys comes over and says he's needed in the back. I only saw him pass through briefly a couple times afterwards, one for a merch ordeal.

By this time, I realized that I'd missed a good portion of Machine Head's set, so I went out to the mainstage area and caught them just starting Halo. Kinda sucks that I missed most of their set, but eh. I'd seen them before.

As routine at this point, I went back to the press area afterwards and saw Jamey Jasta and Kirk. They were just finishing an interview with KUPD (our main hard rock/metal radio station). They finished and to my surprise, we actually talked for a few minutes. Jasta said that they're coming back in the fall to do BRNOTD with 5FDP and Filter. Megadeth was about to come on, so we got a photo and I headed back out.

Megadeth - Color me impressed. I'm not a big Megadeth fan, but they kicked some serious ass. Same setlist as throughout the tour, so no surprises. But I was definitely impressed by their performance. 9/10

Went back to the press area again, but at this point, it was pretty dark and nobody super noteworthy was passing through. So I just sat and talked with my friends there until Godsmack went on.

Godsmack - Not much to say, but they really got the crowd going. Pretty cool. 8/10

Disturbed - Normally at this point I would have Yao Ming'd because once you've seen Disturbed once, you've seen em a thousand times. This was my fourth time... but since it was their last tour for a long time, I put my heart into yelling all the words. Good times. 8/10

And how did my friends and I end the festival?

Jager bombs with John Reese.

/epic day