Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

When you graduate from college...

12346»

Comments

• WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    yes and I have a cousin who is a CPA for a good company (and has also been one for BMW and Volkswagen) so I can probably get an easy internship or something through her.
    awesome. =D>
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Getting a job in your field out of the business school here is, relatively speaking of course, easy. I've already got at least 4 solid connections that could get me a really nice (again, relatively) job now, let alone when I graduate. In business, a lot of it is about who you know, not about what your resume has to say about you.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • Chicken_FuckerChicken_Fucker Posts: 15,691 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Getting a job in your field out of the business school here is, relatively speaking of course, easy. I've already got at least 4 solid connections that could get me a really nice (again, relatively) job now, let alone when I graduate. In business, a lot of it is about who you know, not about what your resume has to say about you.
    It's pretty much like that in everything everywhere. Sad but true.
    pretty true.
    I know,...cuz I've done hiring.

And would rather have a solid friend work here,...than some stranger who might be more qualified.

Troof.
    I hire too. and although a friend that I knew was solid would have a slight advantage, it wouldnt be a guaranteed position. My interviews are grueling and if you can survive the questions I throw at you, then I am confident you will be successful here. I've been told numerous times that I am the toughest interviewer they've ever had. I'm hard because the questions I ask dont have an exact answer, but really dive into the persons thought process and really separate the engineers from those just faking it.
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I know,...cuz I've done hiring.

And would rather have a solid friend work here,...than some stranger who might be more qualified.

Troof.
    I hire too. and although a friend that I knew was solid would have a slight advantage, it wouldnt be a guaranteed position. My interviews are grueling and if you can survive the questions I throw at you, then I am confident you will be successful here. I've been told numerous times that I am the toughest interviewer they've ever had. I'm hard because the questions I ask dont have an exact answer, but really dive into the persons thought process and really separate the engineers from those just faking it.
    Like what sort of questions?
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • cheech9_4offcheech9_4off Posts: 942 just the tip
    i am graduating with my bachelors of science in nursing and will take the boards and be an RN. my goal is to be an OR nurse but usually new grads start in a general med/surg floor. last year the averge starting salary for kids from my schools nursing program was $74000
  • katiakatia Posts: 4,358 just the tip
    bachelors in public administration and politics OR international relations
    Government, embassy, consulates
    Government
    hmm arounddddd 40,000
    id probably travel with my money
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    Is that in pesos, Katia? :P
    I love winning with women
    no :D imagine that! id starve
  • jagjag Posts: 5,033 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Get one of the dudes from the board to be yo sugar daddy
    be my sugar daddy jago wago
  • jagjag Posts: 5,033 destroyer of motherfuckers
  • Stoned_CatzStoned_Catz Posts: 34,915 jayfacer
    I'm surprised you'd be able to get a engineering job with all the prison time you have. :|

Edit - What sort of engineering? civil?
    Why?
    I went to college after I was released.
    Graduated top of my class.

Just cuz a guy did prison time,...doesn't mean he can't be an engineer.
    no but it usally means heez been buttsechzed

[-(

blue turbins

From Those Fishes - I Fingered An Old Bitch (i got Aids on my finger)

• MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,661 master of ceremonies
    What will your degree(s) be? Computer Engineering
    Where do you want to work? Microsoft
    Where do you think your first job will be? Microsoft
    How much money do you think will be your first starting wage? hope it's good haha
    What's the first thing you will buy with all your $$$$? Evo :3
    Why Computer Engineering instead of Computer Science? Microsoft has more jobs for CS then Computer Engineering. What do you expect to be making? I can tell you what Microsoft will start you at if you don't know.
    idk haha. I thought about CS but idk. There's a focus on those with degrees in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering or systems engineering for the three main technical positions of software development engineer, Software Design Engineer in Test, and Program Manager).

So either way I would be good with a degree in CE or CS for them. My professor will get me an internship to Microsoft if I do very well. It's a great opportunity since they just built a Microsoft building here in SA not to long ago. I would love to work the gaming division though for Microsoft or Sony. I know damn well I can design and build better gaming machines then they are making now.
  • SandyVaginaSandyVagina Posts: 618 just the tip
    Most of you people will not get jobs at all after you graduate..........let alone get jobs in your fields.
    I would hope they would find a job somewhere.
    I completely agree with part 2 of your statement.
    Finding a job in your field straight from college is the tricky part.

McDonalds will accept a college grad.
    after I graduated with an Associates Degree in Applied Sciences majoring in Business Management back in 1986, I applied for fast food jobs to tide me over until I got a real job, hopefully in the local music business, which I kind of did, eventually. but that's another story for another time. . .

but none of them wanted to hire me because I DID have a degree and would not stick around to just flip burgers.
    McDonalds specifically told me that, with my education, I would have to attend Hamburger U and then apply at the managers level. no frikken way was I going to go down that route. especially cuz I hate McDonalds.

Like what sort of questions?
    The point of my questions are not to see what sort of facts the person has memorized (because google will help them with facts) but to see how they problem solve. Having the ability to problem solve is what makes a person a great engineer. So what I do is present them with some actual real EE problem they might have on teh job, and I like to see how they would try and solve it. for example...

"On your first day on the job I give you a circuit board that has issues. The board has a fiber receiver, a serial-deserializer chip, an fpga, a clock, power regulators, and a LED. The board is supposed to receive 50 words of 7E and then 10,000 words of data. All the board is supposed to do is when the FPGA see's that condition the LED should turn on. When you turn on the board, nothing happens. What do you do?"

So there are a number of right things you could say, and a lot of wrong things you can say too. Like if you said "First I'd check the power regulators and make sure my power is correct" or "I'd make sure the LED isnt broken with a fluke" or "I'd probe my clock and make sure it is within spec"..... Those are all excellent first answers. And if they say any of those things, then I say "okay you checked that, and that is not the problem. that thing works". Ideally what I am looking for is they check the easy stuff first, and then start dividing the problem in half to locate where the error is.

Bad answers to this question are "I dont know" or "I'd pull off the 2000 pin FPGA because that is the biggest part so it must be the problem" (that part is probably like 10G, that is the absolute last thing to do)

bachelors in public administration and politics OR international relations
    Government, embassy, consulates
    Government
    hmm arounddddd 40,000
    id probably travel with my money
    if you run for office, you have my vote :D
  • GnomezGnomez Posts: 17,550 master of ceremonies
    I never went to university (college) and have no formal qualifications and I do ok 8-}