Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

When you graduate from college...

Comments

• MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,705 spicy boy
    Either way i wanna help record and perform as well though
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    What exactly is your degree for Alex... cuz im gonna be going into music business but im not quite sure whether i want to take a more promotion/ marketing route or a production/management route
    Well surprisingly at ASU (of all schools) they didn't offer Music Business as an actual degree. So I've been taking a bunch of music and communications classes (basics of, public speaking, etc). This coming semester, I begin taking my business classes, the first two of which are Managemnt & Strategy and Essentials of Advertising & Marketing Communication. Next spring (so about a year from now), I am doing my BIS 401 class, which is the internship. For that, I'm moving to South Jersey and interning at the label about an hour away. Probably going to have to do all online classes that "semester."

Basically, I made my own major by combining music, business and communication classes.

I spoke with the head of promotions at Relapse a couple months back. He was actually incredibly nice and welcoming (which, in the music industry, I don't exactly expect). He said that working (volunteering) at campus radio is one of the biggest things they look for when hiring people out of college, which is why I advocate it so heavily on here for anyone hoping to go into the music industry. But he said that the biggest thing they look for is interning at the label. Unfortunately, it is an unpaid internship (although I get free admission to any show and all the music I want, lol).
    I love winning with women
    ^ **==
  • MetalSSlayerMetalSSlayer Posts: 6,164 destroyer of motherfuckers
    What will your degree(s) be? Mechanical Engineering.
    Where do you want to work? Ford.
    Where do you think your first job will be? Probably the Detroit area.
    How much money do you think will be your first starting wage? Dunno.
    What's the first thing you will buy with all your $$$$? A new car.
  • Ace_Deputy_CheezeAce_Deputy_Cheeze Posts: 14,736 jayfacer
    Gonna be an astronaut
    Deputy_Cheeze's Profile Page Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,526 moneytalker
    Aye yo, I'ma be a platinum rapper. Eat a dick faggots.
    Pass the god damn butter.
    What exactly is your degree for Alex... cuz im gonna be going into music business but im not quite sure whether i want to take a more promotion/ marketing route or a production/management route
    Well surprisingly at ASU (of all schools) they didn't offer Music Business as an actual degree. So I've been taking a bunch of music and communications classes (basics of, public speaking, etc). This coming semester, I begin taking my business classes, the first two of which are Managemnt & Strategy and Essentials of Advertising & Marketing Communication. Next spring (so about a year from now), I am doing my BIS 401 class, which is the internship. For that, I'm moving to South Jersey and interning at the label about an hour away. Probably going to have to do all online classes that "semester."

Basically, I made my own major by combining music, business and communication classes.

I spoke with the head of promotions at Relapse a couple months back. He was actually incredibly nice and welcoming (which, in the music industry, I don't exactly expect). He said that working (volunteering) at campus radio is one of the biggest things they look for when hiring people out of college, which is why I advocate it so heavily on here for anyone hoping to go into the music industry. But he said that the biggest thing they look for is interning at the label. Unfortunately, it is an unpaid internship (although I get free admission to any show and all the music I want, lol).
    Cool... ive applied at a couple colleges that actually have music business degrees (belmont univ. , greenville colleg, mcnally smith school of music are my top three) . I dont exaclty know whay i want to specifially yet. Well i actually want to perform in a touring band overall, but i wanted something music bussiness related to fall back on
    What type of music were you looking to work with?
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Posts: 12,604 balls deep
    If I go the way I'm going, with only 2 classes worth of college courses under my belt I will be making 15 dollars an hour in under two months time.

What type of music were you looking to work with?
    Metal would be ideal
    Well yeah I figured that but what type of metal? haha
    Blackened Avant Garde with a post rock twist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMwzpiVsDps
  • That_Guy_ArloThat_Guy_Arlo Posts: 14,026 master of ceremonies
    I wish I was into music as much as yall, I go to the best friggin school for it <_>
    I wish I was into music as much as yall, I go to the best friggin school for it <_>
    Music Theory will either make you into a music genius such as myself or turn you into Wine.
    I'm joking but a class like that will turn you from Metallica to Dream Theater, and from Dream Theater to Andromeda.
  • That_Guy_ArloThat_Guy_Arlo Posts: 14,026 master of ceremonies
    All I've ever taken was Music Appreciation, as my major doesn't require anything other than the most basic music class. I will say though that was one of my favorite classes, very enjoyable.
    Oh wow im dumb... uh. Im not really bound by a specific metal. Im more concerned with the type of company. I wouldnt want to work for a roadrunner where they tell me what to do all the time... id prob want a smaller company, maybe even make my own so i could work with bands i want to
    Oh wow im dumb... uh. Im not really bound by a specific metal. Im more concerned with the type of company. I wouldnt want to work for a roadrunner where they tell me what to do all the time... id prob want a smaller company, maybe even make my own so i could work with bands i want to
    Hmm... Century Media is very welcoming, at least through our station. Metal Blade is another one too.

Relapse is much more of stoner/sludge, which is why I'm aiming for them.

But yeah, those would be my recommendations, unless you want to move out of country. lol
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    North Texas I'm assuming. One of my friends is applying there, and the music teacher at school went there for his first two years of college before transfering to Berklee. I'd apply to that school, but it is in Texas.
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    i took a music appreciation class in college, half the peoplecouldnt name one frank sinatra song, i can still remember facepalming