Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Penn state....

Comments

• Chicken_FuckerChicken_Fucker Posts: 15,691 destroyer of motherfuckers

Penn state just got nuked!

4 years no bowls
    60 million in fines
    15-20 less scholarships
    Students can transfer out
    All 103 wins from 98-2011 have been removed from record books

They got off easy. should have just been the death sentence
    What they got was probably worse than the death penalty
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    why should they have gotten the death penalty when they didn't actually violate any Ncaa by-laws. They just should have fined them, This hurts the students 1000x more than the people who did the shit. "you know those games you won under Paterno? well you didn't win them anymore you piece of shit." that's the message i saw outta this. they should have barred Paterno from the hall of fame or something, not hurt the students.
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    8-|

this faggot again
    I do think its unfair to the players that won all of those games by working their asses off only to have it stripped because the "leaders" of the school were biggest farces in sports history. They should have somehow stripped Paterno of the wins, but not the players.
    edited July 2012
    SATAN said:

8-|

this faggot again

because i believe they should of targeted the perpetrators instead of punishing the students? Fukkovz :-@

they are hurting 94,000 people for what a handful did, totally balanced.
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers

why should they have gotten the death penalty when they didn't actually violate any Ncaa by-laws.

They should have received the death sentence for a couple of reasons. For starters the NCAA should have come down hard on the fact that the school/program covered up a very serious illegal activity. It's not just that they had employed someone who was committing great crimes against little children, but the fact that the school was more concerned about their image that they covered it up for over a decade and allowed the abuse to continue on. That is something the NCAA should have considered greatly.... by allowing them to stay in the league, they are basically saying "we dont like child rapist, but if you do want to rape children we will give you a little slap on the wrist. no biggie."

The second reason why I think this penalty is light is because USC and Reggie Bush received almost the exact same penalty for Bush accepting a new BMW and a little cash. Big fucking deal. So I am to believe that the NCAA now views someone getting paid to play football (which most top tier players are) is equal to covering up a child rapist for 10 years allowing him to rape hundreds of defenseless kids. The two arent even close to equal in my eyes, yet they are for the NCAA apparently.
    he didn't rape hundreds.... [-X

I do think its unfair to the players that won all of those games by working their asses off only to have it stripped because the "leaders" of the school were biggest farces in sports history. They should have somehow stripped Paterno of the wins, but not the players.

What's unfair is all the little children that were raped because Penn State wanted to cover this up as opposed to helping this vial rapist be brought to justice and the crimes stopped. How many children's lives were ruined because of Penn States administration? That is what is unfair. Oh some player had his trophy stripped away? Big fucking deal. I doubt that player is going to need to go through emotional recovery over losing their trophy. And if they are perhaps they should tell their sob story to one of the kids were were raped by that sick fuck because Penn State allowed it to continue on.
    but what they got is arguably more severe than the death penalty. I'm not certain you know what the death penalty is Wake.
    vile*

can you not edit comments anymore?

but what they got is arguably more severe than the death penalty. I'm not certain you know what the death penalty is Wake.

I thought the death penalty was having them kicked out of the conference and not allowed to play other division I schools? no?

What's unfair is all the little children that were raped because Penn State wanted to cover this up as opposed to helping this vial rapist be brought to justice and the crimes stopped. How many children's lives were ruined because of Penn States administration? That is what is unfair. Oh some player had his trophy stripped away? Big fucking deal. I doubt that player is going to need to go through emotional recovery over losing their trophy. And if they are perhaps they should tell their sob story to one of the kids were were raped by that sick fuck because Penn State allowed it to continue on.
    You are missing the point by miles

he didn't rape hundreds.... [-X

I am talking about realistically what the number would be. So what if like 10-20 came forward? There are very realistically 10x more.

edited July 2012
    what part of punish the people responsible is so hard to understand? all these sanctions don't do anything to the people who enabled the child raping they just brutalize the students. Why should the quaterback or the tight ends who sweat blood winning under paterno pay for what sandusky did? the fbi dudes report said like 6 people or something knew about it, thats it. why punish 94,000 for it?
    the only example of the death penalty ever used in college football

Southern Methodist University footballMain article: Southern Methodist University football scandal
    SMU football had already been placed on three years' probation in 1985 for recruiting violations. At the time, it had been on probation seven times (including five times since 1974), more than any other school in Division I-A.[12]

However, in 1986, SMU faced allegations by whistleblowing player Sean Stopperich that players were still being paid. An investigation found that 21 players received approximately $61,000 in cash payments, with the assistance of athletic department staff members, from a slush fund provided by a booster. Payments ranged from $50 to $725 per month, and started only a month after SMU went on its original probation (though it later emerged that a slush fund had been maintained in one form or another since the mid-1970s). Also, SMU officials lied to NCAA officials about when the payments stopped.

While the school had assured the NCAA that players were no longer being paid, the school's board of governors, led by chairman Bill Clements, decided that the school had to honor previous commitments made to the players. However, under a secret plan adopted by the board, the school would phase out the slush once all players that were still being paid had graduated.[13]

As a result:

The 1987 season was canceled; only conditioning drills (without pads) were permitted until the spring of 1988.
    All home games in 1988 were canceled. SMU was allowed to play their seven regularly scheduled away games so that other institutions would not be financially affected. The university ultimately chose to cancel the away games as well.
    The team's existing probation was extended to 1990. Its existing ban from bowl games and live television was extended to 1989.
    SMU lost 55 new scholarship positions over 4 years.
    The team was allowed to hire only five full-time assistant coaches instead of the typical nine.
    No off-campus recruiting was permitted until August 1988, and no paid visits could be made to campus by potential recruits until the start of the 1988–89 school year.
    The infractions committee cited the need to "eliminate a program that was built on a legacy of wrongdoing, deceit and rule violations" as a factor in what is still the harshest penalty ever meted out to any major collegiate program. It also cited SMU's past history of violations and the "great competitive advantage" the Mustangs had gained as a result of cheating. However, it praised SMU for cooperating fully with the investigation, as well as its stated intent to run a clean program. Had SMU not fully cooperated, it would have had its football program shut down until 1989 and would have lost its right to vote at NCAA conventions until 1990.[14]

All recruits and players were allowed to transfer without losing eligibility, and most did. On April 11, 1987, SMU announced its football team would stay shuttered for 1988 as well, citing the near-certainty that it would not have enough experienced players left to field a competitive team.[15] Their concerns proved valid, as new coach Forrest Gregg was left with a severely undersized and underweight roster composed mostly of freshmen.

Before the "death penalty" was instituted, SMU was a storied program in college football, with a Heisman Trophy winner (Doak Walker in 1949), one national championship (from the Dickinson System in 1935) and 10 Southwest Conference titles. The Mustangs compiled a 52–19–1 record from 1980 until 1986, including an undefeated season in 1982 led by the Pony Express backfield of future Pro Football Hall of Fame member Eric Dickerson and Craig James. The only blemish on that team's record was a tie against Arkansas, which denied the Mustangs a shot at the national championship despite being the only undefeated team in the nation.

Afterwards, players were reluctant to attend a school with a history of such major recruiting violations. In addition, the loss of 55 scholarships meant that it would be 1992 before the Mustangs were able to field a team with a full complement of scholarship players; it would be another year before it fielded a team consisting entirely of players unaffected by the scandal.

Since 1989 SMU has defeated only 2 ranked teams, has had only 3 winning seasons, and is 64–158–3.[16] The Mustangs did not return to a bowl game until 2009; they won the 2009 Hawaiʻi Bowl on December 24, 2009 over Nevada by a score of 45–10. The death penalty decimated the Southwest Conference's reputation and finances, contributing to the collapse of the entire conference in 1996.

Years later, members of the committee that imposed the "death penalty" said that they had never anticipated a situation where they would ever have to impose it, but their investigation at SMU revealed a program completely out of control.[17] Still, the crippling effects the penalty had on SMU has reportedly made the NCAA reluctant to impose another one. Former University of Florida President John V. Lombardi, now president of the Louisiana State University System, said in 2002: "SMU taught the committee that the death penalty is too much like the nuclear bomb. It's like what happened after we dropped the (atom) bomb in World War II. The results were so catastrophic that now we'll do anything to avoid dropping another one.”[18]

Since imposing it against SMU, the NCAA has seriously considered imposing a death penalty only once on a Division I school, when Kentucky basketball was found guilty of rampant recruiting and eligibility violations. In its final report, the NCAA said that Kentucky's violations were egregious enough to warrant a death penalty. However, the NCAA said the only reason it did not impose a death penalty was because school president David Roselle took swift action to bring the basketball program under control once the violations came to light.[19]

Despite the NCAA's apparent wariness about imposing a death penalty, it has indicated that the SMU case is its standard for imposing such an extreme sanction. For example, in its 2005 investigation of Baylor Bears men's basketball, the NCAA determined that the Bears had committed violations as egregious as those found at SMU 18 years earlier. However, it praised Baylor for taking swift corrective action once the violations came to light, including forcing out head coach Dave Bliss. According to the NCAA, this stood in marked contrast to SMU, where school officials knew violations had occurred and did nothing.[20]

so what is the death penalty of NCAA? and why do you think what they received was worse?
    also i would argue the "lives are ruined" part too. i've known a few people that got raped and while they have lingering physiological trauma from it, they moved on stronger people.
    thanks. so basically the death sentence is a whole year off. Why is their sentence worse then that? That seemed pretty bad.

what part of punish the people responsible is so hard to understand? all these sanctions don't do anything to the people who enabled the child raping they just brutalize the students. Why should the quaterback or the tight ends who sweat blood winning under paterno pay for what sandusky did? the fbi dudes report said like 6 people or something knew about it, thats it. why punish 94,000 for it?

It's unfortunate that people who didnt participate in the coverup have to do the time for another's crime, but how do you propose punishing a symbol? It's not the players who are getting hit by this, but it's the symbol of Penn State. I believe the goal of the NCAA was to take a stand and further punish the symbol of Penn State more so then Penn State did to themselves.

If my degree came from penn state, I'd be pissed that they tarnished the name of my school. I would think less of what I worked hard to earn. It's unfortunate, but perhaps making an example will put better checks and balances in place.

Although it could just make people do a better job of covering it up in the future. that would be unfortunate.
    PSU also has to give up more scholarships, pay $60 million, and forfeit all of the wins between 98 and 2012. In addition..........the biggest one to me is that all of the current players can transfer out to other D-1 schools without having to sit out a season per the usual rules. Their current players will be bolting to schools all over the country now.