Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Kinda in a bit of a dilemma... (a bit of a read)

Comments

• WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    no... according to the law, lack of socializing is not animal abuse. And the law is what we are talking about here because your advice is to report them to animal control for animal abuse.

Just so you know, I am in total agreement with you that if you want an animal for a pet, you should be decent enough to socialize with them and take care of them. They shouldn't just be kenneled and forgot and treated as an annoyance. I agree that you should be social with your pets, but I disagree about the law requiring that.
  • ZmbieFlavrdCupcakesZmbieFlavrdCupcakes Posts: 32,259 jayfacer
    edited November 2011
    orly? so why are people on animal cops arrested for abuse such as that?

live_free, please contact an animal rescue
    imageimage
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    so...what actually happened?
    the guy got his sister to watch the dog now
    imageimage
    I dont watch animal cops. I suspect that there must be other obvious signs of neglect then "lack of socialization". Typically assholes who don't socialize with their pets, also dont feed them often. It is pretty easy to prove that a dog/cat/pet is suffering from malnutrition, then it is to prove the people don't hug their dog enough. Or sometimes pets that are neglected are often times aggressive and if an aggressive pet gets out it is a danger to society and thus there are grounds to take the pet from the owners.

Still what the OP described didnt strike me as being any of those extreme cases.
    The dude is concerned about his neighbors not giving their dog enough attention. He suspects that they may lock it down in the basement but he really has no idea if that is true or not. He knows they asked him to do that while they are on vacation, which doesnt seem surprising. He thinks that is animal abuse.
    :)) so they can waste their time instead of actually saving animals that might need it.
  • LiveFreeDieLiveFreeDie Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I agree with Wake. Trust me, it gets under my skin that this dog IMO is in the basement too much. But I can't go as far to say that they don't socialize with the dog ever... because I just don't know that. I know this dog gets fed because it is on the puggy side but definitely not obese. I just don't think there is enough there to contact animal rescue about.
    Death is not the worst of evils. You can't be down, when you're always high.
    Wake, you're completely wrong
    they clearly don't really care about the dog and they shouldn't have it if they're gonna put it through the stresses that he's in now
    I just saw on animal cops a few days ago that it was the same exact situation except this dog was outside
    the owner admitted they were just going through the motions to keep the dog breathing but didn't really have the time or will to take it further
    the dog was put in a better home
    he needs to contact the humane society ASAP
    imageimage
    It's funny that live_free agreed with me right before you posted saying I was wrong. ehhhh... whatever.

I just want you to know that I do agree with you about showing the proper care for an animal. I only disagreed with the legal definition of animal abuse. Just because something might not be illegal, doesnt make it okay.
    But you are wrong that its not abuse/cruelty because it is and people get their animals taken away for it
    no matter if you wanna admit it or not, the facts are there and you're misinformed or just ignorant
    imageimage
    sure. I'm not lawyer that deals with animal abuse cases. I do however find it difficult to believe that anyone could prove a "lack of socialization". Don't you even recognize how vague that term is? Lack of socialization by what standard? Am I at risk of losing my dog because I dont pet her enough??? Im sure there are owners who pet their dogs 10x more then I do. Hell my neighbor use to french kiss my dog which I found disgusting and dont allow my dog to do that to me. Maybe that should be the standard? If you dont stick your tongue down your dogs mouth and suck on its tongue, then to you arent socializing with your dog enough and that is animal abuse.

I get I am being ridiculous, but I am doing so to prove a point. You can't make laws that talk in vague, non-measurable terms.
    Ok soooo how is that up to me?
    Don't blame your lack of correct info on a vague law
    imageimage
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,593 spicy boy
    my god...it is awful cuntty in here
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies

...because they neglect the animal as in not feeding it, walking it.

this dog is obviously taken care of in that way but not really cared about on a more personal level.
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    Bianca, if people aren't legally required to socialize with their kids beyond what's needed to survive, why would they be required to with pets?

...because they neglect the animal as in not feeding it, walking it.
    no, they were
    Bianca, if people aren't legally required to socialize with their kids beyond what's needed to survive, why would they be required to with pets?
    why would normal people have kids/pets if they dont want to socialize with them?
    imageimage
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,593 spicy boy
    if you haven't noticed people aren't normal...just like your obsession with animals isn't normal....its perfectly possible for someone to get a pet thinking it would be awesome to have a dog..and then after a few months or years realize they really didn't want one and then just tend to socially neglect it
    ok and then what do you do?
    give it to a shelter or someone who can properly take care of it
    we as a species need socialization and its been proven that animals need it as well
    its pretty high up there with food, shelter, water, etc.
    its considered a basic need
    imageimage