Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

MARCH MADNESS OF MUSIC 60s to 90s

Comments

• Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Posts: 12,604 balls deep
    uuhhhh.... duh. 1. you think Syd > Waters. 2. Dire Straits > Frank Zappa 3. Hendrix > Floyd. CASE CLOSED. All I am saying, is I am detecting a pattern here, and it doesnt agree with me :)
    But I have my reasons, I'm not even downing on the other ones, I just prefer the ones that aren't your choices.
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    wake you say zappa is a great musician but that doesnt mean knopfler is any less amazing..
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    uuhhhh.... duh. 1. you think Syd > Waters. 2. Dire Straits > Frank Zappa 3. Hendrix > Floyd. CASE CLOSED. All I am saying, is I am detecting a pattern here, and it doesnt agree with me :)
    But I have my reasons, I'm not even downing on the other ones, I just prefer the ones that aren't your choices.
    true. I was kinda just being funny when I made the first comment. I don't really know your true listening preferences. but I've noticed we have been in disagreement a lot in this thread :)

wake you say zappa is a great musician but that doesnt mean knopfler is any less amazing..
    True. I was not saying he is not.... But knopfler got a lot more cred then Zappa IMHO. I think it is a crime how unnoticed Zappa went. the dude had a real nack for music composition and was a phenomenal guitarist.

i love everything that zappa stands for but his music has never really grabbed me. what are some of his stand out tracks?
    i love everything that zappa stands for but his music has never really grabbed me. what are some of his stand out tracks?
    Jesus. that is a hard question.... His discography is so massive it is almost a little daunting to know where to begin. okay, here are a couple stand outs...

Peaches en Regalia
    Nanook Rubs it (and "Dont eat the yellow snow" cause it flows into Nanook)
    Dirty Love
    My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama

but really the reason why I got into Zappa was because I love concept albums, and I thought "Apostrophe'" was an amazing concept album. If I was going to give someone a Zappa Starting point, that album would be it.

Anyways... the Jazz and lyrical composition and guitar work is just amazing how he melds it altogether.
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Posts: 12,604 balls deep
    edited March 2011
    The reason I like Dire Straits so much is because they are the one band that was able to strip down their sound to pure basics and not be punk with it, every other band that has done what they did has been punk.
    cool ill check em out. in the meantime here are some kickass zappa quotes!

There are more love songs than anything else.
    If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another.

"If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library."

"Definition of rock journalism: People who can't write, doing interviews with people who can't think, in order to prepare articles for people who can't read."

"If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your shit, then you deserve it."

"A drug is not bad. A drug is a chemical compound. The problem comes in when people who take drugs treat them like a license to behave like an asshole."

"My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a happy, mentally healthy child is: Keep him or her as far away from a church as you can."
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    DIRE STRAITS 3
    FRANK ZAPPA 4
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,706 spicy boy
    DIRE STRAITS 3
    FRANK ZAPPA 5
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    DIRE STRAITS 3
    FRANK ZAPPA 6

BEACH BOYS 0
    NEIL YOUNG 1

i love the beach boys but its NEIL YOUNG
    edited March 2011
    Ill probably take shit for this, because I have more respect for Neil Young then I do the Beach Boys but....

BEACH BOYS 1
    NEIL YOUNG 1
  • fucketh_thine_selffucketh_thine_self Posts: 3,363 just the tip
    BEACH BOYS 1
    NEIL YOUNG 2
  • Chicken_FuckerChicken_Fucker Posts: 15,691 destroyer of motherfuckers
    BEACH BOYS 1
    NEIL YOUNG 3
    BEACH BOYS 2
    NEIL YOUNG 3
    was it California girls for you too? Or Kokomo? I think Kokomo might be the only song that when I listen to it, I have an overwhelming desire to not be where I currently am and to be somewhere else.... far far far away with lots of sun and cheap fruity drinks.
  • HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    BEACH BOYS 2
    NEIL YOUNG 4
    surfer girl is the beach boys best song, i absolutely love it
  • fucketh_thine_selffucketh_thine_self Posts: 3,363 just the tip
    i love the beach boys but i had to give my vote to a fellow canuck.