Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

**Official NHL thread**

Comments

• myplagueRobmyplagueRob Posts: 1,375
    sold out crowd to watch game 7 in Boston on TV... Philly fans FTW \m/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOhJLXrrAR8&feature=related
    That is so awesome. I'm not kidding you when I say this. The Islanders get back to the playoffs and I don't doubt that happens on Long Island.
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,723 mod

Predators over Ducks
    ----------------------
    Predators over Canucks
    [-X
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    *waits for jay's predictions*
    edited April 2011
    Alright, lemme try.....

WESTERN CONFERENCE

First round

(1) Vancouver defeats (8) Chicago in 7. Chicago has a ton of skill players, and they will throw everything at the Canucks to defend their Cup title. Ultimately, however, I think Luongo plays a lot better than last year without Byfulgien to harass him and Vancouver's defense will do enough to make leads hold up.

(2) San Jose defeats (7) Los Angeles in 5. Los Angeles was already offensively challenged before they lost Anze Kopitar, but without him, the Kings will have trouble exposing the Sharks' lack of depth on the blue line. Offensively, San Jose has too much, even for the Kings' strong defensive game and solid goaltending. Just a week ago, the Sharks beat the Kings 6-1. Look for a few more games like that.

(3) Detroit defeats (6) Phoenix in 6. At least one major hockey analyst has an upset pegged in this one, with the reasoning being Ilya Bryzgalov is much better than Jimmy Howard. While this is true, this same Phoenix team couldn't beat the Wings last year, who were still licking their wounds from the multitude of injuries last year. This year, only Zetterberg will be missing to start the series, and while that is a big loss until he can return, Detroit has more than enough firepower to crack Bryzgalov and move on. Keep hating, haters.

(4) Anaheim defeats (5) Nashville in 7. Who saw the Ducks finishing at the 4? Not me. I was hoping that the Wings would draw them, but looking at the roll this team has been on lately, I'm pretty glad we missed them. I never expected Corey Perry to morph into a Hart candidate, but with Bobby Ryan and Ryan Getzlaf on his line, the Ducks can score with anyone. They'll need it against Nashville, who has two of the best defensemen in the game in Ryan Suter and Shea Weber and their own Hart candidate in Pekka Rinne. Defense wins championships, and you would think Nashville's style of play would be conducive to a long playoff run, but I like the Ducks and their experience more. Just a little more.

Second round

(1) Vancouver defeats (4) Anaheim in 6. With both teams possessing great firepower offensively, the difference will be defense and goaltending, and I think Luongo can outlast Jonas Hiller and Dan Ellis to get the Canucks to the conference final.

(3) Detroit defeats (2) San Jose in 6. Last year's series was closer than it seemed at first glance. Detroit was gassed and they coughed up a couple games, most notably Game 3. The Sharks are better in net but about the same elsewhere as last year. Special teams will be critical, as Detroit will need to limit penalties in order to win. 5-on-5, they can take down the Sharks.

Conference final

(3) Detroit defeats (1) Vancouver in 7. On paper, Vancouver is better everywhere here. Up front, on the blue line, and in net. That doesn't mean they have what it takes to finish the job, and I think Detroit presents Vancouver with the most matchup problems with everyone healthy. Holmstrom, Bertuzzi, and Franzen can be Detroit's Dustin Byfulgien, and as long as they stay out of the box, it's very feasible for Detroit, a very good road team, to steal a couple games in Vancouver, including a potential deciding Game 7.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

First round

(1) Washington defeats (8) NY Rangers in 5. The Caps are banged up right now, and Ovechkin isn't scoring like he used to. But the Caps are 1st in the East for a reason, and that reason is a re-commitment to defense. Red Wing fans remember clearly what happened when Scotty Bowman changed their team's philosophy to defense first. Anyway, the Rangers are banged up as well, and the Caps will avoid the first round trap this year.

(2) Philly defeats (7) Buffalo in 6. Another popular upset pick, it seems. To which I say "lolwut." Buffalo's best weapon is Ryan Miller, and he's had his share of injury problems. The Flyers struggled down the stretch, but they did so last year as well and turned out alright, I think. They are the deepest team in the East on paper, and they will find a way to get around Buffalo without too much of a problem.

(3) Boston defeats (6) Montreal in 7. This one will be a slugfest. It's Boston's physicality and defense against Montreal's skill and offense. Both teams sport Vezina-worthy goalies, and Montreal has the better special teams, which they need to exploit. The longer this series goes, the more the scales tip in the favor of the B's.

(5) Tampa Bay defeats (4) Pittsburgh in 7. No Malkin and no Crosby means no chance for the Pens, right? Not so fast. They are sound defensively and in net, and they will have to lean on those strengths immensely to make any kind of playoff run. The Lightning are inexperienced, but they have offensive depth and Stanley Cup final-experience in Roloson. Steve Stamkos will give the NHL fans missing Crosby a new reason to watch as the Lightning move on.

Second round

(5) Tampa Bay defeats (1) Washington in 7. Tampa Bay will be playing with house money at this point, and will throw everything they have offensively at the Caps. This will be the real test for whether the Caps have really changed as a hockey team. If so, they will squeak by the Lightning in 7. If not, and I have my doubts, they'll be failing to reach the conference final yet again.

(2) Philly defeats (3) Boston in 7. New year, same story. Boston won't move out to a 3-0 series lead this time, and the Flyers' depth offensively and defensively will tip the series their way. A word of note, however....Tim Thomas is completely capable of swinging the odds back to Boston, and I would not be surprised if the Bruins prevailed. My gut says Philly, though.

Conference final

(2) Philly defeats (5) Tampa Bay in 6. Even Roloson can't save Tampa Bay's nice run from coming to an end here. Too much firepower from Philly, and Chris Pronger will be able to neutralize Stamkos and company up front.

STANLEY CUP FINALS

(3) Detroit defeats (2) Philly in 7. I honestly don't know who wins this series were it to happen, a rematch of the 1997 Cup Finals, which Detroit swept. Both teams are carbon copies of each other: depth and size up front, a great defenseman anchoring the back end, and solid but unproven goaltending. Whoever stands the tallest in net will earn his team the Cup. Last year, Niemi outplayed Leighton in net. Philly's goalie remains to be seen, but he will have to outplay Jimmy Howard to get Philly that long-awaited Stanley Cup. Detroit has both won and lost to Pronger-led teams in the playoffs before, and the Flyers are probably the most skilled of them all, but I think the Wings have enough hunger and drive to get one more Cup for Lidstrom so he can retire the right way. I wouldn't be surprised if Philly took it though.

Post edited by JLRedWing13 on
    nice read Jay =D>

Like I said, aside from injuries... if they get knocked out its gonna be before the cup finals. noway this team with the experience from the last 3 years, lets not forget 2 years ago they made it to the eastern conference finals, the veterns and depth on offense and defense, and heart to make it to 2 finals in a row loses again, just dont see that happening. Flyers will win the cup. no doubt in my mind.

I appreciate your effort though, and I always enjoy readin your detailed reviews/predictions/ect... you kickass at it and put in the time and effort! *brofist*
  • MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,664 master of ceremonies
    Here is mine:

Coyotes over Wings.

Done.
    i'd love to see wings/flyers cup rematch
    so would I :)
    tl:dr

but at least Jay is thorough and gives legit reasons.
    I canz respect that.
    You only need to read the first line. Skip the explanations because it's all hockey babble lol. :P

I want a Detroit-Philly rematch very badly. I feel that would be the best potential Stanley Cup Final, and went ahead and predicted it's going to happen. Of course, if Zetterberg doesn't get back soon, that changes things, but I assume he comes back by the second round.
    nice read Jay =D>

Like I said, aside from injuries... if they get knocked out its gonna be before the cup finals. noway this team with the experience from the last 3 years, lets not forget 2 years ago they made it to the eastern conference finals, the veterns and depth on offense and defense, and heart to make it to 2 finals in a row loses again, just dont see that happening. Flyers will win the cup. no doubt in my mind.

I appreciate your effort though, and I always enjoy readin your detailed reviews/predictions/ect... you kickass at it and put in the time and effort! *brofist*
    Thanks. I honestly think a Detroit-Philly matchup could go either way. I picked my team because I'm biased and believe in them, but I acknowledge the Flyers have what it takes to win it too.
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    My girlfriend told me that she's trying desperately to become a Sharks fan, so I guess I'll read this thread every now and then in an attempt to seem interested in the things she is interested in, even though any attempt will be palpably disingenuous.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
    I think it would be a good final too... we just have different opinions on the outcome, but we are both biased, so i understand that... I've been saying philly's gonna win the cup all year and I'm sticking to my story, history shows a bad last month doesnt mean bad final. I have phaith in my team and I know theyre taking it this year. I am extremely excited, fuck tuesday, fuck wednsday, I can't wait for fucking thursday. GO FLYERS!!! B-)
    *waits for brad and daynas predictions*
    My girlfriend told me that she's trying desperately to become a Sharks fan, so I guess I'll read this thread every now and then in an attempt to seem interested in the things she is interested in, even though any attempt will be palpably disingenuous.
    Steer her towards the Ducks or Kings lol.

Have you ever watched playoff hockey? There's not much better than it.
    jack Capuano is officially the head coach of the Islanders. No longer the interim coach. very happy about it. I didn't like him when he was first brought in, but he changed that pretty quickly.

May not be the guy to lead them to the Cup, but I think he can get them consistently into the playoffs and win a couple rounds.
    edited April 2011
    Look at what I got niggaz...

{Upload|8901}

I'm going to game 1 on thursday \m/
    fpot.bmp 706.1K
    Last time I went to a Wings playoff game was 2004 :((
    The one year the fucking Devils aren't the first seed in the playoffs they win the fucking draft lottery. Are you kidding me? Fuck!
    Colorado's going to get a nice player at #2.....
    I went in 2008... iza got so lucky for these tix man! i grabbed them up at the last second before someone else got them for a really good price. They were face value... most people double the prices for the playoffs... I'm so fucking happy :-D
  • Chicken_FuckerChicken_Fucker Posts: 15,691 destroyer of motherfuckers
    You guys are hilarious how you all are so biased and all think your teams will win the cup. The only predictions I will take any credibility from are MyPlague because he has no stake in any of it.
    You guys are hilarious how you all are so biased and all think your teams will win the cup. The only predictions I will take any credibility from are MyPlague because he has no stake in any of it.
    I gave reasons for my picks and acknowledged series that could go either way. If you don't think Detroit can win the Cup you are bullshitting yourself.