Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

UFC on Fox (Official MMA thread)

Comments

• Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,526 moneytalker
    He could, but JDS has waaay sharper boxing skills though. If Cain can get him down and keep him there, the fight is his. Jr has outstanding tdd, and usually pops right back up if someone takes him down. We dont know yet what kind of shot it will take to stop Jr, but we know for sure Jr can do it to Cain in less than a second.
    Pass the god damn butter.
  • Magson13Magson13 Posts: 1,584 just the tip
    If Cain can finish Big Nog, he can finish JDS too. I love matchups like this, where it could easily go either way in a split second. I just saw a promo for Nick Newell fighting next Friday on AXS, that'll be interesting to watch haha
    On Friday night, Cesar Gracie confirmed what most of us had always suspected: that Nick Diaz's "retirement" wouldn't stick. In a statement posted on GracieFighter.com, Gracie, who trains and manages Diaz, acknowledged that the 28-year-old former Strikeforce champ would return to the UFC octagon whenever he regains a fighter's license. That's not so surprising. But what he said later on? Well, that was the interesting part.

Denied a chance to fight welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, Diaz plans to ask for a match against UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva.

Gracie said the request will be "respectfully" made and that Diaz simply wants to test himself against the longtime champ.

"Silva’s camp has been speaking of a fight with GSP, possibly even at a catch weight," he wrote. "Nick will take that fight in a minute but has told me that should Silva decide not to drop at all, he will move up to 185lbs to face the Champ."
    I read that on MMA Junkie earlier. It was a good thing I was already on the toilet, because I would've shat myself laughing otherwise. Sad thing is, I can see Silva taking this fight. It will bring in more money than a fight against Weidman or Boetsch, and it will be an easy win for Silva.
    Gotta love the balls on that guy though. War fucking Diaz! I'd like to see if Diaz's high volume punching and high pace throws Andy off at all like it does with everybody else. Anderson usually takes a bit to get loose, and when he does its over (fucking knew Chael was fucked soon as Silva started dropping his hands in the second, 10 seconds later it was lol) but Diazs intense pace might not let him. Guys who have fought him say he overwhelms you with shots to the point they didn't even when to take a breath.

I see nick dropping his hands, pressing forward and trash talking like he so often does, and Andy hits him like he did Forest lol. And I would pay good money for it. Andy wants a superfight, but GSP doesn't want to fight Andy, Andy doesn't seem to want to fight Jones. Jones doesn't want to fight the heavies yet. Diaz will fucking fight anybody, anywhere.
    Balls..... Or delusions? Haha. He couldn't do anything to Condit, and Silva is even more elusive than Condit. No way does Diaz even touch Silva haha. Silva would win that fight all day, due to being stronger, and having a longer reach. I see that fight ending the way the Belfort fight ended. KO with absolutely no setup for it. I'd definitely watch that fight, though. Would be entertaining as fuck
    I don't know if he has delusions about winning, but he has the balls to go and try. Hell, I'd do it if I were in his shoes, he's not likely to get a bigger payday than that. It's almost a no lose situation for him. If he loses to a bigger Anderson, no surprise there and he can go back to his regular weight class and get back in line to fight Georges or Carlos again and get another huge payday.

Andy wont be scared to stay in the pocket though and try to slip his punches though, Condit ran like a pussy. I miss the pride rules.

The Vitor KO was a beautiful thing.
    That makes sense, easy money for him.

I'd love to see some promotions start using Pride rules again. There was one promotion that was going to do it last summer, but it ended up being canceled..... Gilbert Yvel was supposed to be on it. Hopefully they can put together another event sometime with Pride rules. Would love to be able to see that live, rather than just watching old events...
    Pride was the shit. I'd loved the 10 minute first round, the yellow cards, stomps, head/soccer kicks and how they judged the fight as a whole rather than each round. They didn't have as many fights where a wrestler just holds a guy down and does no damage for 15 minutes, or guys running away like Conduit and Guida.

"ACTCHUUUUN!"
    I agree with all of that, with the exception of the ten minute first round. I don't even know why, it just doesn't feel right to me..... I also cannot stand Mauro Renallo. I don't understand why Pride ever hired him........
    I liked the 10 because there was less chance of people being saved by the bell. It pissess me off when a guy sinks in a choke and then has to let it go because the other guy waited for a bell to ring. It's also more like a real fight, and your conditioning has to be insane to go a full 10. The Fedor/Herring fight comes to mind. That was a brutal 10 minutes.
    There are definitely fights where it's worthwhile to have a ten minute round, but there are also fights where the guys don't have the gas tanks for it, and it gets dull, quick. Would've been cool to see Jung v Garcia have a ten minute round haha
    The Invica stream is lagr than the UFC facebooke streams..... Urgh :-S
    It'd be easy to consider Alexander Gustafsson the odd man out.

Especially after UFC president Dana White today surprisingly confirmed the winner of Saturday's UFC on FOX 4 headliner between Mauricio "Shogun" Rua and Brandon Vera is next in line for a light-heavyweight title shot.

But that doesn't mean Gustafsson (14-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) is the forgotten contender of the division.

"He's ready for a big fight now too," White said today during a media conference call. "(We'll) get him lined up with one of the top guys soon, and we'll fight out where he sits and where he fits."
    Odd that Vera would get a title shot with a win Saturday..... But, it actually makes me kinda want to root for him. It would be cool to see him get the shot, since he's originally from around here.

Sounds like Gustaffson will get the winner of Machida v Bader, for the next number one contender, providing they aren't injured.
    I've never liked Vera, but never really had a reason. I was just never really impressed by him when they were trying to hype the shit out of him. Shogun has been next in line, but if Vera can take him out then he deserves the shot. I'm kinda happy they are taking their time to build Gustaffson up to that level rather than just throwing him to the wolves. He is a future star for sure.
    I've also supported him, since he's from around here. But he's never really had that 'it' factor, whatever it may be. I still think he should've gotten the nod against Couture, though..... I want Hendo v Shogun II out of all the possible matchups :D

Definitely agree about Gustaffson. There have been too many guys that skyrocket to the top, but just aren't ready for that level yet..... And it looks like the UFC is learning that.
    Fuck yes I'll take Shogun/Hendo 2. The first fight should have been a draw anyway imo. Round 5 was a 10-8 round if I ever saw one.
    Ya, that fight was definitely close enough to have been a draw. Would be great if they do it again, but for the title!
  • Its_Meh_ChewIts_Meh_Chew Posts: 7,380 just the tip
    as much as you want, Jon Jones ain't getting beat by Hendo