Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

UFC on Fox (Official MMA thread)

Comments

• Magson13Magson13 Posts: 1,584 just the tip
    Silva ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Daniel Cormier's 'one more fight' is against Tim Sylvia. What a joke. He better not come to the UFC on an immediate title shot after this.....
  • Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,526 moneytalker
    If he was gonna get a title shot, the time to do it would be now after winning the heavyweight tourney, not after beating fucking Tim fucking Sylvia. Strikeforce matchmaking is such a joke..

Pass the god damn butter.
    Exactly. Beating Barnett was more of an accomplishment than beating Tim Sylvia.

Now that I think about it, they could bring Cormier over to the UFC after this win, and pit him against Overeem for a number one contender's fight. The timetable for each of them would line up....
    Annnnnd Cormier's last strikeforce fight will be........

Frank Mir. Da fuck?
    I'd rather see Mir fight Barnett...... But this fight does make sense, Zuffa is giftwrapping another UFC title shot to Mir. If he beats Cormier, he's in line for a top five five fight back in the UFC, possibly even a number one contenders' fight. And the UFC loves to give Mir title shots he doesn't deserve.........
    It's a good fight for sure, its just weird that Mir is fighting in Strikeforce for one fight.
    He's probably getting paid a good chunk to take the decrease in viewership. Plus he knows that with a win, he's in prime position to get another title shot next year.
    I'm sure it was just easier to move Frank over there than to get Daniel out of his last Strikeforce match. They own Frank's contract, and Daniel's now too, but they didn't when he signed it, so he may have other stipulations he has to hold up too. More likely Showtime had a deal for another fight from both tourney finalists (Fedor vs Reem is what it was expected, with Barnett being a wildcard) to capitalize on the momentum they expected before it started.
    All Strikeforce fighters are locked in with Showtime. That was part of their contract for the renewal to continue airing Strikeforce this year. That's why Melendez is still there, too. I'm hoping that Mir crossing over opens up the gates for other fighters to transfer to Strikeforce as well. Get some guys like Shogun and Penn, who won't ever fight for a UFC title again, but are still fan favorites.
    Don't be dissing Shogun homie. He can still take out anyone but Jones, and I think he would do way better in a rematch than the first fight coming back from surgery. I also want to see Alex Gustafsson vs Bones. I think they both have way better chances than Hendo landing a h bomb before he gasses out.

I love Shogun, but his age is catching up with him. I can't see him climbing the ladder to another title shot anytime soon. He'd be better off fighting Strikeforce, where he could be a big fish in a small pond. Gustaffson has looked good, but I'd like to see how he does against a top-level fighter before I'll be sold on him facing Jones. I really hope Hendo dethrones Jones though. He'll probably gas out and be tko'd, but I'm crossing my fingers that he lays him out like he did to Bisping :D
    http://www.sherdog.com/news/rankings/3/Sherdogs-Official-Mixed-Martial-Arts-Rankings-44411

Shogun is currently ranked 4th in the division, behind Jones, Hendo(2nd) and Rashad (3rd). It's not much of a climb, especially since Rashad just lost to Bones as well. Jones also beat Lyoto (5th) and Page (10th)

That leaves Davis (6th), Gustafsson (7) Little Nog (8th), and Bader (9th) (who just got wrecked by Tito)

There are some interesting matchups there amoung each other, but not many good matchups left for facing Jones. I hope Hendo smashes him, but I wouldn't bet money on it.
    That top ten list makes me sad..... I don't see anyone that could be the next contender for the title. Shogun just lost to Hendo, and his next fight is Vera...... Machida could get a rematch if he beats Bader, I guess, since he won the first round against Jones.... Davis is coming off a loss, and is fighting a promotional newcomer next..... Gustaffson's biggest win is against Thiago Silva, who is just a gatekeeper.... Lil Nog lost to Davis and Bader, and then won against Tito.... Teixeira should be ranked in the top ten, in my opinion, but he has to beat Rampage before he'll be considered for the title shot....
    It is a pretty sad top 10. 205 used to be an exciting division. Although, since Cain and Cormier train together, if Cain were to beat JDS then Daniel said he might cut to 205 instead of fighting his team mate.
    Cormier has to get past Mir before he'd be considered for a heavyweight title shot, though. It would be interesting to see him at 205, though. He could possibly beat Jones with his wrestling.
    edited July 2012
    Yeah so much shit would have to line up perfect for it to happen that it is unlikely. Cormier beating Mir is more likely to happen than Cain beating JDS imo. I just want Jones to go down.
    Eh, I could see Mir beating Cormier. He's had quite a few lucky wins, can never count him out. I want to see Jones lose too.... I don't even care who beats him at this point, I just want him out.
    Mir could do it, he's been beastly lately, that fight can go either way, I meant I don't think Cain can get by JDS, Junior will end up clipping him again.
    I could see Cain clipping JDS as well. They've both got enough power that all it takes is one hit