Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

***Official Video Games Thread***

Comments

• XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    :'(

BUT THE WORLD'S GONNA END
    The GameSpot article says the first 3 months of 2012, not mid-2012...
  • MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,664 master of ceremonies
    if you honestly think it's going to be first 3 months of 2012 then :-))
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    Mass Effect has been delayed into mid 2012. It will probably come out during the holidays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMTE8qnJ7h8
    edited May 2011
    as much as this makes me rage fucking hardcore, Mass effect 3 has the setup to be one of the most incredible games ever made. Bioware can take all the time they want to polish this game to perfection, it will be well worth the wait.
    They're probably polishing ME3 more since DA2 was complained about.
    edited May 2011
    Mass effect 3 is more than just a game for bioware right now, their reputation is on the line with this. they have so much riding on ME3 its not even funny, the slew of shit they've promised from the beginning that all the people that said back in 2005 that it couldn't be done, and the future of their flagship IP. if they deliver a product thats any less than perfect, they've failed
  • Ace_Deputy_CheezeAce_Deputy_Cheeze Posts: 14,736 jayfacer
    edited May 2011
    The cyber attack that knocked the Playstation Network and Sony Online Entertainment offline for more than a week was a "very carefully planned, very professional, highly sophisticated criminal cyber attack designed to steal personal and credit card information," according to a letter from Sony to members of Congress obtained by Kotaku today from government sources.

While Sony declined to testify at today's congressional hearings on the threat of data theft to American consumers they did provide Congress with some answers to their pointed questions.

In an 8-page letter dated May 3, Kazuo Hirai, chairman of the board of directors for Sony Computer Entertainment of America, explains the lead up to the attack, how it was first detected and the deep impact it is having on the multi-national company. Sony also separately informed the subcommittee that they discovered that the intruders had planted a file on one of their Sony Online Entertainment servers named "Anonymous" with the words "We are Legion."

On April 19, at 4:15 p.m. Pacific, members of the Sony Network Entertainment America network team detected unauthorized activity in the network system, according to the letter.

"The network service team immediately began to evaluate this activity by reviewing running logs and analyzing information in order to determine if there was a problem with the system," Hirai writes.

On April 20, in the early afternoon, the team discovered evidence that the unauthorized intrusion had occurred and that data of some kind had been taken from the Playstation Network servers. The team didn't know what the data was, so they shut the system down.

That shut down kicked off what Hirai calls an "exhaustive and highly sophisticated process of identifying the means of access and the nature and scope of the theft."

Later that afternoon, Sony Network Entertainment of America brought on a "recognized security and forensic consulting firm" to copy the servers and begin a deeper investigation in the break in. As the investigation continued, Hirai writes, the scope and complexity grew.

On April 21, Sony brought in a second computer security and forensic consulting form to help. By the evening of April 23, the experts confirmed that intruders had used "very sophisticated and aggressive techniques" to break into the network undetected.

On Easter Sunday, now realizing how serious the breach was, Sony brought on a third team that specialized in these sorts of intrusions. By April 25, the teams confirmed that personal data had been stolen from the network, but still could not determine whether credit card info was stolen.

On April 26 Sony notified users that personal information had been taken and that they could not rule out credit card theft.

Sony says they were reluctant to prove partial information to the public about the breach and what was stolen because they worried it could cause confusion among consumers and "lead them to take unnecessary actions if the information was not fully corroborated by forensic evidence."

Sony still hasn't determined whether credit card information was stolen, but they did say that of the 77 million Playstation Network and Qriocity service accounts, about 12.3 million of them had credit card information on file. Of that, 5.6 million were from the U.S. and the rest abroad.

Hirai assured Congress in his letter that the company has figured out how the breach happened, something they declined to share because of the nature of the on-going investigation by the FBI. They haven't yet, Hirai said, identified who was behind the breach.

Hirai added that the company has taken a number of steps to try and prevent future breaches including adding automated software monitoring to their networks, enhanced levels of data protection and encryption, new firewalls, moving the data center to a different location and hiring a new Chief Information Security Officer.

The attack, the subsequent investigation and the fall out are described by Hirai as "unprecedented", "extraordinary circumstances and challenges" that employees of Sony Network Entertainment America and Sony Computer Entertainment America have "endured."

"They were faced with very difficult decisions and often-times conflicting concerns and objectives," he wrote. "Throughout this challenging period, they acted carefully and cautiously and strove to provide correct and accurate information while balancing concerns for our consumers' privacy and need for information."

Hirai wrapped up his 8-page letter with a request to the congressional committee:

"We ask the Committee to consider as well the connection between data security and the cybercrimes and cyber terrorism that threaten to make the Internet unsafe for consumers and commerce."

inb4 tl;dr
    just read the bold
    Deputy_Cheeze's Profile Page Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
    edited May 2011
    maybe sony will stop thier crusade trying to sue everyone who even watched the jailbraking videos

also watch anonymous be put on a terrorism watch list
  • LiveFreeDieLiveFreeDie Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited May 2011
    maybe sony will stop thier crusade trying to sue everyone who even watched the jailbraking videos

I think Sony decided against that when they only thing the did to the guy who hacked the PS3 was tell him he can't do that to Sony system anymore. Granted he was also stuck with a fuckton of lawyer fees.

Death is not the worst of evils. You can't be down, when you're always high.

I think Sony decided against that when they only thing the did to the guy who hacked the PS3 was tell him he can't do that to Sony system anymore. Granted he was also stuck with a fuckton of lawyer fees.

no, they got the info they wanted and it set a terrifying prescient
    http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/03/geohot-site-unmasking/

That is why anon brought PSN to its knee's
    i didn't know about this and it made me LOL really hard

The same day Sony threatened to sue anybody for posting the first-ever hack of its PlayStation 3 console, the videogame maker was itself hit with allegations that the Blu-ray player in the device breaches patents owned by LG Electronics.

LG, of Seoul, South Korea, claims in a complaint with the International Trade Commission (.pdf) that the Sony PS3 violates two patents in connection with how the videogame console renders Blu-ray data.

The claim came Friday, as Sony made a sweeping demand for pretrial discovery in its lawsuit against New Jersey hacker George Hotz. He’d earned Sony’s ire by releasing the first full jailbreak for the 4-year-old console, enabling the PS3 to play pirated and home-brew games.

Hotz, who faces unspecified damages, is accused of breaching the Digital Millennium Copyright Act on allegations of trafficking in so-called “devices,” or code that circumvents measures designed to protect copyright works. Sony did not respond for comment.

LG, meanwhile, is demanding an “immediate investigation” by the trade commission and wants it to block the PlayStation 3 from being sold in the United States. Sony has sold about 41 million units worldwide.
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,714 spicy boy
    as much as this makes me rage fucking hardcore, Mass effect 3 has the setup to be one of the most incredible games ever made. Bioware can take all the time they want to polish this game to perfection, it will be well worth the wait.
    yea... the more time they take the more great it will be... lets just hope they dont pull a Duke Nukem Forever...

Do You Like Hurting Other People?

i heard PSN is gonne be down for another month instead of coming back this week... this true?

i heard PSN is gonne be down for another month instead of coming back this week... this true?
    possible, from what i read congress and the FBI are involved

possible, from what i read congress and the FBI are involved
    Jesus... this sucks. i wanna play Demons Souls online again... lol
  • LiveFreeDieLiveFreeDie Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers

While I did hear rumors that they may sue people just from watching the YouTube video and going to that site. But I also heard the reason Sony was trying to get the ip address of people who went to the site was when they were building the case against that dude.

I doubt they will be suing anyone over that now with all this new shit they have to deal with.
    Death is not the worst of evils. You can't be down, when you're always high.
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    In an 8-page letter dated May 3, Kazuo Hirai, chairman of the board of directors for Sony Computer Entertainment of America, explains the lead up to the attack, how it was first detected and the deep impact it is having on the multi-national company. Sony also separately informed the subcommittee that they discovered that the intruders had planted a file on one of their Sony Online Entertainment servers named "Anonymous" with the words "We are Legion."
    Fuckyea.jpg

You mess with the bull, you get anally raped and contract full blown AIDS.
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
  • GULCH_OF_ROTGULCH_OF_ROT Posts: 5,795 salt miner
    Sony, slayed once again in the video game arena.
    edited May 2011
    we can only hope PSN will be down for a month, can you imagine how enraged the player base will become at Sony. no amount of PR spin will shrug off the heat from that