Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Say Something Random (NSFW)

Comments

• mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    Not saying I disagree with young people in general but 

sleep token are selling out every show nearly instantly 

ghost has been doing really well in ampitheaters on their own 

bad omens shows while they havent jumped into arenas yet bigger club venues are selling out every show and people are spending $200 resale per ticket 

those three are a largely younger crowd is why I used them as examples and I know I know not really the definition of metal but thinking of them
    headlining mayhem together I think could work since they always did co headliners 

as far as old metalheads Milwaukee metal fest isn’t sold out yet and covers a lot of shit 

pantera and log sold horrible at least here 

Theres No one right or wrong answer to this just something I was thinking about like to me a mayhem that looked like this would do fantastic just looking at how they have sold recently Put a bunch of heavy bands or a mix on the side stages to go with 

Ghost 
    Bring me the Horizon 
    Parkway Drive 
    Bad Omens 

You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • EpisodeMnHEpisodeMnH Posts: 4,720 jayfacer
    Dick would explode if Sleep Token, Bad Omens, and BMTH toured together.
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    SATAN said:
    I don’t think a metal tour would really work unless it mostly aimed at old heads. There’s just not the money in young metal that could sustain such a thing. If you loaded up a tour with like Suicidal and Testament and Exodus and Kreator with like Danzig and King Diamond headlining, people would come out. Get like Hirax and Sadus and Dark Angel for the side stage. Maybe have a gimmick of having metal from different countries. People would go nuts if you could convince a trio of 90s tr00 cvlt black metal bands like Marduk, Dark Funeral and Mayhem to have their own stage. Fans of that sort of stuff have money now. My kids call it “Divorced Dad” music. They had a big laugh about it when we went to Mastodon/Gojira last year how many extended cab and maintenance trucks were in the parking lot. Give it another 5-8 years and having a first wave metalcore bill would be in vogue for this demographic. Get As I Lay Dying, Bleeding Through and Unearth lol

The money in young people is in trap and edm. Rock is almost over as a relevant form. I think you can add rock and metal bands into variety tours and make something interesting. I grew up in the original Lollapalooza era, pre-Ozzfest, where it was a yearly treat to see the new mix of music they had. I saw Green Day, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, The Flaming Lips and A Tribe Called Quest in succession to open Lollapalooza ‘94. At Lollapalooza 95 I went from watching Jesus Lizard to Redman to Beck with Cypress Hill and Sonic Youth as headliners. I’ll admit there aren’t many metal bands that would acquit themselves well on a mixed stage like that, but Ghost and Sleep Token have a very definite appeal to those outside of the “metal fan” spectrum. I’d imagine Municipal Waste, Mutoid Man and Deafheaven would go over well in a mixed setting. My kids are big on Deftones. They asked me who I’d like to see them tour with, I think expecting an answer like Tool or SOAD. I said they’d pair better with Interpol though. Deftones have a yearly fest they do in San Diego. I think last year they had Turnstile, Freddie Gibbs and Phantogram on it. That sort of frame seems like a healthy start for a package tour imo
    There are a few heavy bands that are absolutely gigantic with the teens nowadays. Sleep Token's new tour sold out in minutes. Deftones are now Tik Tok famous because of thirst trap videos, Agganis Arena was fucking packed with kids seeing them in Boston a couple years ago. There was a surprisingly young and almost sold out crowd at Gojira/Mastodon/Lorna Shore at MGM Fenway this past summer. Might just be market by market thing though and Boston is just doing well

For your first idea of an oldhead tour bringing people out still absolutely could not sustain itself doing ampitheaters coast to coast. It would probably be fine as a destination festival but they can barely get enough grandpas to come see those bands at 1k capacity clubs regularly
    edited February 14
    But yeah, something I liked about Boston Calling in 2017/2018 was them having harder/heavy acts randomly thrown in the mix with currently relevant college kid music. Seeing a crowd waiting for Flatbush Zombies/Run the Jewels/Cage the Elephant suddenly have Converge on stage screaming in their face was meme worthy

Edit: I now see I'm retarded for mentioning Sleep Token and Deftones before without reading your 2nd paragraph fully
    mrAPE said:

Bruh don't you live in ohio how the fuck

Unless everybody there is saving money for godsmack to come around again
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Ice Nine Kills, Lorna Shore, Knocked Loose, The Amity Affliction, A Day To Remember have all gotten gotten popular with the tik tok kiddos too
    Xeno said:
    mrAPE said:

Bruh don't you live in ohio how the fuck

Unless everybody there is saving money for godsmack to come around again
    Close live in Kentucky work in Ohio 
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,597 spicy boy
    I was looking at pantera log today and the venue is about 1/2 empty
    Their tickets were crazy expensive. 

Avenged in cincy hasn’t sold shit and their tickets were cheap I’m glad people are realizing they suck maybe I’ll get to go back to seeing them in clubs 
    Yeah they were ridiculously expensive 
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    I guess whoever the sponsor of the tour would likely go a long way in terms of the promotion. Like if you wanted to push younger bands, get Liquid Death. For the older bands, maybe Jager. They used to sponsor Slayer tours. Maybe Bud Light could cut the check to buy back some cred lol. Scion used to promote a bunch of awesome free shows around here. Kevin from Warped said the tour wouldn’t have gone past the first year without Vans sponsorship 
    I think toyota discontinued the scion brand

Which is unfortunate because those cars were gooood
    I have a bunch of vinyl and cds from Scion from back in the day. They'd just ship it to you for free 
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,707 spicy boy
    No, he's right for once
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    Deftones were the single worst live show I’ve ever seen. 
    that easily goes to REO for me. God damn they were fucking terrible. 

Ive seen deftones a handful of time. I like a handful of their stuff. Ive heard they have off nights, but ive never caught them when they were "bad". always fine when i saw them. 
    I saw Deftones on a show with Korn, Flyleaf and 10 Years and they were the worst band by far
    That was same tour I went to. Family Values 06 or 07 can’t remember which but it felt like my ears were bleeding after their set