Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Say Something Random (NSFW)

Comments

• Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,593 spicy boy
    edited August 2023
    Idk ive been a part of a couple unions, and all they did was protect the laziest pieces of shits that were there. and protect their high wages. 

It also take power away from the employee as far as negotiating your own fair wage ect. 

Take for example the teamsters. Everyone thinks their drivers making 170k a year is great, but its going to lead to those drivers being phased out, and amazon outsourcing their shipping to companies that can incredibly under pay their workers. 

unions are supposed to be good, but they are just as corrupt as the companies they are battling against typically. 

edited August 2023
    Unions protect workers' rights. They aren't responsible for making those conditions so awful that people feel the need to strike. There's nothing else to do otherwise, don't blame them. 
    they aren't trying to strike for bad working conditions. 

they are striking because they want back some of the things they gave up in 2007. Pensions ( which they absolutely are never going to get). 

Some of their demands are ridiculous. They want to switch to a 4 day 32-hour work week, but still be compensated for 40. Like yes, we all want that, but its up to the federal government to make that call first. In order for all of us to work 4-day weeks, the banks have to be closed. Otherwise, the world keeps moving. 

edited August 2023
    Mostly just interested in what other people think though. Not really trying to argue one way other the other. Especially people with lots of manufacturing experience like Jobe and Moe.

Im admittedly biased because my dad has been in car manufacturing his whole life, and a strike is going to fuck him probably. 
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Unions protect workers' rights. They aren't responsible for making those conditions so awful that people feel the need to strike. There's nothing else to do otherwise, don't blame them. 
    Idk where you get your info from but you should probably stop reading it. They don't want a 32 hour work week. They just don't want to work 60-70 hours a week like they currently are. 
  • ThatGuyArloThatGuyArlo Posts: 1,430 jayfacer
    Oh sorry I didn't realize there was a prerequisite to have a proper opinion on this 😂
    Idk where you get your info from but you should probably stop reading it. They don't want a 32 hour work week. They just don't want to work 60-70 hours a week like they currently are. 
    you should probably stop reading what you are lol. this is there list of demands as they currently stand

• Eliminate tiers on wages and benefits. Currently, domestic automakers have a tiered wage system in which those in the first tier earn about $28 per hour, while those hired after 2007 are in the second tier and earn about $16 to $19 per hour. The number of second-tier workers is growing, which is fueling this contract demand.
    • Increase wages by 46% over four years.
    • Restore cost-of-living allowances.
    • Establish a defined benefit pension for all workers.
    • Reestablish retiree medical benefits.
    • Ensure the right to strike over plant closures.
    • Create a working family protection program.
    • Make all temporary workers permanent.
    • Institute more paid time off.
    • Significantly increase retiree pay.
    • Possibly institute a 32-hour work week.
    I like how all of Rex's examples of why Unions are bad are all just shitty things that Corporations do to hold down Unions lol
    Oh sorry I didn't realize there was a prerequisite to have a proper opinion on this 😂
    thats not what im saying. Im just insterested in people who are directly effected by it. 

Just also asking for peoples opinions who have had direct experience with unions because i figure that's a good spot to a feel for how the manufacturing community feels about them. 
    Rex_Capone420 said:

It also take power away from the employee as far as negotiating your own fair wage ect.
    This is such a boomer take bro. It's not the 1950s anymore. These companies don't negotiate wages, or at least anything close to what the union is able to negotiate 
    you should probably stop reading what you are lol. this is there list of demands as they currently stand

• Eliminate tiers on wages and benefits. Currently, domestic automakers have a tiered wage system in which those in the first tier earn about $28 per hour, while those hired after 2007 are in the second tier and earn about $16 to $19 per hour. The number of second-tier workers is growing, which is fueling this contract demand.
    • Increase wages by 46% over four years.
    • Restore cost-of-living allowances.
    • Establish a defined benefit pension for all workers.
    • Reestablish retiree medical benefits.
    • Ensure the right to strike over plant closures.
    • Create a working family protection program.
    • Make all temporary workers permanent.
    • Institute more paid time off.
    • Significantly increase retiree pay.
    • Possibly institute a 32-hour work week.
    Wrong. In the official union newsletter it does not say anything about a 32 hour work week. The president of the union made a comment about the shortened work week but it is not on the official list of demands at this time
    yeah, thats exactly the issue lol. 

My dad works at a non union shop, and when he was hired they offered him 18/hour, but because he because he has the trade skills he has, and knew the competitive wages in the area, he was able to negotiate his starting wage to 24/hour before shift premiums. 

like i know that's anecdotal, but yall are coming for me like im arguing for the company. Im not. I just don't know that unions actually act in the best interest of their workers always. 
    edited August 2023
    That's why it says possible. 

The rest are all in their list of demands. 

I feel like the 32 week is like the nfl shooting for 18 games lol. They put it in there so they can say "okay yyyy welll take one away" lol

Like I know it's been mentioned as part of of the negotiations regardless of demand list.  Last weekend I spent about an hour talking with a lawyer for the UAW off the record. And that's the gist i got from him. 
    edited August 2023
    Well I guess Idk if he was a UAW lawyer, or just a lawyer hired by them to help with the extra workload. He is a friend of a liquor lawyer friend of mine. 

regardless though. I really just started this discussion not to argue one side or the other. Just mostly to discuss out opinions and try to learn something i don't know lol. 
    edited August 2023
    im gonna get review bombed for this i can feel it

also im 35 and a 1/2. i am basically a boomer at this point
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    edited August 2023
    I saw my old retard boss at the store a couple days ago and I looked over at him when he got my attention and just walked away once I realized it was him. Ain’t no buddy got time for that. 
    Post edited by FLAT on
  • Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,526 moneytalker
    My plant is weird in that 1/2 is Union and 1/2 is not, based on department. Production and maintenance, and boiler guys are union, but the “office” personnel are not. I don’t know why. My job is considered “office”. Union pay departments make $5-$6 an hour more on average. After many requests from me,  my old supervisor got us switched to the same set up that the union departments had, with pay rates defined across the board and a training tier system in place that allowed us to make more money as we added subclasses to our operating licenses. I already had most of the subclasses so it was a big instant pay jump for me. It would have been a lot harder, if not impossible, for us to get that without the union already here. Union gets a raise on time, then the company will drag their feet for a few weeks (saving thousands in the process company wide) and then we get it also. Unions can be their own headache but the company would 100% fuck us over a lot more without them here. 
    Pass the god damn butter.
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    Only home alone I’ve seen is 3. Macaulay  Culkin is not my Kevin. 
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,705 spicy boy
    FLAT said:
    Only home alone I’ve seen is 3. 
    Actually same
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?