Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Say Something Random (NSFW)

Comments

• EpisodeEpisode Posts: 32,049 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited November 2010
    Well Cats DO care about Humans, lol, they can grow emotional bonds with their owners. Snakes can not, they lack the brain capacity to feel emotion.

And not at all, first of all, a snake has to be a certain size to even ATTEMPT to kill a human. My Ball Python (And any Ball Python ever, for that matter.) could never kill me or do severe damage. Neither can a Red Tail really, there's never been a documented case of a Red Tail killing a human, although they certainly can reach the size to do it (The Females, at least.). Which brings me to my Burmese Python, he's a baby right now, but can and will reach 8-12 feet as an adult, there's been Males that have reached 14-16 Feet, although that's extremely rare. Females average 14-18 Feet, which is why I went with a Male, this is my first "giant" so to speak. The biggest Burm in the world is at Serpent Safari at my local mall. She's 26 (Almost 27.) Feet, and somewhere over 300 pounds, but that's such a rare size. Now, a snake that size (Anywhere from 8-20 Feet.) is certainly big enough to kill me, and do some good damage, but I'm fully aware of this danger possibility, and Burms have killed people before (Burms, Rocks, Retics, Amethystines, and Anacondas are the only 5 species that get big enough to kill a human.) but they were almost entirely the owner's fault. Out of all the snakes in the world, there's only been 5 or so deaths reported from a captive held snake. Compare that to Dogs and Horses. It's a matter of being smart and being safe. For instance, NEVER handle a large snake while alone. Always have a second person in the house, for example, if my Burm were to ever try and constrict me, there's a simple trick of pouring alcohol in their mouth (Whiskey, Vodka, Mouthwash, whatever.) that instantly makes them let go because the smell is so horrible to them that it burns. So say I were to get wrapped, and couldn't get to alcohol, I could call to my Mom. If she wasn't there, there's another trick of bending the tail back to get them to release, but that doesn't work for sure, and if it didn't....I'd be gone. But full body death grips are extremely rare, I've talked to many breeders and what not at reptile shows and online, and any of them that have gotten wrapped have only gotten their arm or leg wrapped, not the torso. Which brings me to how bites are almost ALWAYS the owner's fault, you mentioned the snake getting annoyed, but that's not so, a snake can't really get annoyed or pissed off, due to lack of emotions. Most bites happen IN the cage, due to them mistaking a hand as food, since their vision is poor and they sense by heat, so anything warm can mean food to them. This is where hook training comes in, you hook train them starting as a baby, by touching them with something (I use a Drum stick.) before putting your hand in there, because it cancels their feeding response. Some people will forget to do it, which leads to a bite, bites very rarely ever happen out of the cage. Another thing is sometimes people will touch a Rat without cleaning their hands, the snake smells it which leads to a bite. Most bites are from what Herpers call SFEs (Stupid Feeding Errors.) like not using long enough tongs or not being safe at feeding time. Once they smell food, they turn into a completely wild instinct based animal, striking anything. I've almost gotten bit by both my Burm and Ball at feeding time, not because of aggression, but because they go insane at the smell of food. They stay in this "Hunting mode" for about a day after feeding until they calm down. My Red Tail, oddly, is an exception to this. She's extremely calm at feeding time and doesn't even strike at her food. But a snake almost never bites just because, they'll sometimes bite out of fear to protect themselves, but that's usually as a baby, and frequent handling solves that problem. I know a girl on the Reptile forum who has 7 Burms, and she got bitten and had her arm constricted by her 12 Foot long Albino Male, and it was at feeding time, she was dangling the Rabbit, but she had too short of feeding tongs, and he overshot and grabbed her arm instead. That's a prime example of an SFE, you need to use the proper equipment to feed them. When mine is at that size, I plan on using those long grabbers to grab shit off high shelves. But out of that bite, she got nerve damage because he struck a nerve, popped 4 veins, and hit her bone, so her hand will always be a bit fucked. So even without dying, and even without the snake constricting you, a mere bite can do a LOT of serious damage at that size, but by being smart and cautious, most bites can be prevented, and it's risk I'm willing to take for my love of the animal. Also, they can make it hard to breathe just by hanging on when they're huge (Yes, they're THAT strong, they're all muscle.) so a general rule is to never let them wrap all the way around your neck, just let them hang off the back, like I did in the video.
  • ComptonAssBertoComptonAssBerto Posts: 3,899 just the tip
    go to google maps
    get directions to china from japan
    go to step 43
    go to google maps
    get directions to china from japan
    go to step 43
    LMFAO.

• NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,280 mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VpKtmEh23U

<_> Way too fucking awkward I swear.
    I swear in the video default picture you look like a younger version on Nick.

• TimTim Posts: 2,441 admin
    Pretty cool info. I have often wondered how people keep snakes, and what the dangers are. Do you really plan to keep a 12 foot snake in your house? Thats 2x as tall as I am... holy shit. What sort of housing accommodation does a snake of that size need?
    there are some who call me... tim?
  • StratophonyStratophony Posts: 9,212 just the tip
    i saw the craziest shit yesterday....

i was driving past downtown San Diego.... and on one of the many street overpass that are above the freeway i saw a fucking bike hauling ass (going downhill obviously)

but that shit was going by itself...... there was nobody on that motherfucker. And it wasn't like somebody had thrown it down the overpass (because 1) its pretty dangerous to be on your bike there to begin with & 2) i would have seen them a up there as well)

also... you can tell when somebody throws a bike on itself because it wobbles; but that shit yesterday was going on a fucking straight line; and HAULING ASS!

.... it was one of the WTF moments
    Bwahahaha. Amazing :D
  • ZmbieFlavrdCupcakesZmbieFlavrdCupcakes Posts: 32,259 jayfacer
    loving the head acne, erik
    imageimage
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy
    brush your hair eric...and seriously learn to be happy
    loving the head acne, erik
    Seriously? Lay the fuck off already. At least I'm working on it, the medication really helped. There's only a few left compared to what it was.

And it was brushed Rex. >_> You don't have room to talk about looks man. Can I do anything without getting fucking bashed? That's my natural hair and that's why I hate it. I straighten it and I'm a fucking Emo, and I put a beanie on and I'm a bum... fuck all of you.

• KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer
    ^That's why I'm happy I didn't have internet till I was 17. I would have totally been bashed like Erik.
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
    cut that shit off if you hate it...and dude quit being a whine ass and just be happy
    edited November 2010
    Pretty cool info. I have often wondered how people keep snakes, and what the dangers are. Do you really plan to keep a 12 foot snake in your house? Thats 2x as tall as I am... holy shit. What sort of housing accommodation does a snake of that size need?

Yes I do. Although I don't expect him to go past 9 Feet. His Dad (I held him at last month's Reptile show.) is about 8-9 Feet and 30-40 pounds, and his Mom is 10 Feet, which is very small for a Female, and they're both on pretty heavy feeding schedules, so I'm thinking that just by genetics, they're smaller, and since genetics play a huge role in size, I don't expect mine to get bigger then either of the parents. Probably about the same size of his Dad. Plus, I have him on more of a conservative diet. Not feeding heavily or over feeding, but not underfeeding, but he'll stay a bit smaller in girth and grow slower, which is actually healthier for the snake, to grow slower.

As far as his adult cage, I'm paying it off right now, it's a 6 foot long, 2 foot wide, and 18 inch tall Animal Plastics PVC cage. The caging has to be at least half the length of a snake, so a 12 foot snake needs at least a 6 foot long cage with some good width to it. Height doesn't matter at all for terrestrial snakes. Arboreal snakes need taller cages though. Females need ridiculous sized cages. 8'x4'x2's or 10'x4'x'2's Another reason I didn't get a Female, I don't have enough room for a cage like that.
    Post edited by Episode on
    cut that shit off if you hate it...and dude quit being a whine ass and just be happy
    No fucking way in Hell. I've tried way too long to grow it, and I'd look even worse with short hair. And that's not being a whiny ass, that's just bullshit, you have no room to fucking talk and I get bashed for every little thing.

i wasn't in no way bashing you fucktard
    To be fair, you like to copy a 40 year old man who pretends to be a cat on the internet. You can probably quite safely shut your mouth about other people's personal choices.

@Erik What does a snake do during the day? Do they like to chill out in their cage and be lazy, or do you let him wander around your room?
  • TheDevilsDreadsTheDevilsDreads Posts: 1,625 just the tip
    To be fair, you like to copy a 40 year old man who pretends to be a cat on the internet. You can probably quite safely shut your mouth about other people's personal choices.

Canadians, we win.