Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Tattoos? POST EM!

Comments

• BlindGuardian93BlindGuardian93 Posts: 4,988 jayfacer
    edited October 2011
    WOW. The difference in those is staggering... lol
    Sarcasm?
    No not at all! haha

The second is MILES better lol
    Lol ok. Glad mines the better looking one haha. I'm really looking for something to do for my BG tattoo but its hard they dont really have a set mascot or logo beside their name in font.
    I've been lost in endless seas My heart died long ago I curse my failures as I fall from you
  • Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,528 moneytalker
    That girl should have made the same decision I did...not going into tattooing because of an unsteady hand and inability to quickly draw a straight line.
    I think you would do great, this chick is just going about it all wrong. All it takes is finding a professional willing to let you apprentice for him/her. If Eriks "artist" was doing one, she would be doing little 2 inch tattoos all day (yup, butterflies and flowers) till she learns to draw straight lines, then move on to bigger stuff. If its something you would like to do I can give you a lot of good pointers to help securing one.
    Sure. It's always been in the back of my kind. If I can get my shaky hands under control, I could trust myself enough to apprentice.
    weed would probably help that
    Fuck that.
    Not needed. You start out on oranges and pig ears, and a good set of tubes will give the tattoo machine great balance in your hand instead of fighting the weight of the machine at the top of it. Plus you will be at a shop for month before even ever touching a machine.

Makes sense. I'd just need to completely cut my caffeine intake and maybe get my hand checked out again before I try. I get pain in it if I'm holding something for more than 30 minutes, which is a problem for drawing.
    If this is something you really want to do, go after it. Don't worry about all that stuff, it can all be fixed in time. To start, just draw, draw, draw, and start a portfolio. Try to assemble the pages in it like a sheet of tattoo flash. Visit as many shops in your area as you can and get to know the artists a little bit. If you find a shop/artist you like, talk to them about apprenticeships. The official title of the job you are applying for is "the shop bitch" lol. Cleaning bathrooms, taking out the trash, cleaning tubes, paper work, dealing with customers, and all the other shitty jobs are where you will probably start if you can find one. There is also a very good chance you will be working for free for a while, or for very little money, but consider it the price of admission.
    I'll start building up my portfolio. I already have a small one with like 40 pieces that I like. I know of this one shop that I wouldn't mind apprenticing at.
    Kick ass. Try to spend as much time there as you can, but don't be a bother. Get a feel for the shop enviroment to see if its a place you would feel comfortable working in (some great artists can also be amazing douchebags, but most of the people I have met have been super cool) Once you feel at home there, you can start asking about working/volunteering at the shop and doing an apprenticeship. They can be very hard to get, a lot of guys don't like to do them, some places may even charge you money to do it. Other places can barely keep their own doors open, let alone hire help. I can say that for most guys who apprentice someone, attitude is way more important than art skills, they can teach you to be an artist but nobody likes a cocky hotshot. Best of luck to ya, and if you ever have any questions just holler.
    Pass the god damn butter.
  • streetsstreets Posts: 3,351 just the tip
    hey Bianca can i see a picture of the cupcakes? my friend wants to get one on her wrist but i told her it might look stupid.
  • KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer
    Okay. The only problem about apprenticing for me is the location. I'm here during most of the year and I'm only near that shop over winter and summer breaks. I'll definitely at least get a feel for it. I know the shop owner's dad, so yeah. That might be an "easy" way in. Do you have an art background? Just curious because outside of high school I've only taken 2 classes and the rest I just dabble with on my own.
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
    I have zero art background... I became decent friends with an artist in my town and helped him remodel his shop/home (storefront/with attached apartment) I was basically helping out for shop credit, but he was very impressed with my work ethic and how I cleaned shit up everyday during the process so when they day was done, he just had to sit and relax with the family instead of dealing with a fuckton of construction mess and drywall dust. This was my foot in the door. I did the shop bitch thing for a few months while I apprenticed as a body piercer. During that time, I started showing more interest in tattooing, but never thought I had enough art skill. I still don't, and I'm my own worst critic still, but Jeff was convinced I could do it. Props to him for believing in me when I doubted myself, sometime that is all it takes. This is something you can do Brit.

Oddly enough, now I can tattoo way better than I can draw lol.
    Awesome. My friend's fiancé has a tattoo machine so maybe I'll ask him to show me on oranges (but I won't do that freelance stuff). My favorite part of drawing, color contrasts. I just love grayscale.
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
  • EpisodeEpisode Posts: 32,049 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I always wondered what people practice on when they're learning lol.
    I always wondered what people practice on when they're learning lol.
    Raw pig ears work the best, they're really close to the feel of skin. Oranges are a good way to start getting a feel for the machine. Also great practice for getting smooth lines. The practice skins that they make are shit.

Pig ear
    That first orange made me giggle. Hah. I'm such a girl sometimes.
    I'm amazed at the first one. Oranges are a lot trickier than skin, its very easy to overwork and shred the skin to pieces. You can actually see a piece missing in the hair of the second one. You can do the same to skin if you are not careful, but it takes more and you can slowly see it start to happen, if its bad enough it can leave scar tissue. Orange peels shred in an instant.
  • GnomezGnomez Posts: 17,550 master of ceremonies
    Do you know that Morange is the only word in the world that rhymes with Orange?
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    I love the used tattoo that was posted. My lawd that looks awesome.
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    This has to be the best looking tattoo of all time though.

that is dope. I love it.
  • monicaamonicaa Posts: 7,109 destroyer of motherfuckers
    erik everyone is right. those tats suck. sorryyyy.
    please find a different artist lol
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,282 mod
    imo the quality of a tat isnt as important as the stupid designs..i would rather my lines be a little wavy than have a dumbass colorful fish on my arm forever.....
    For as drunk as i am, this is the only shit that made sense
    Tea

• EpisodeEpisode Posts: 32,049 destroyer of motherfuckers
    erik everyone is right. those tats suck. sorryyyy.
    please find a different artist lol
    Lolno
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    I take tattooes pretty seriously not only because I love them but because they are there forever( duh). By telling you to seek another artist I am in no way "hating on you" just trying to watch out for you so you don't end up with something you regret.
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • streetsstreets Posts: 3,351 just the tip
    I take tattooes pretty seriously not only because I love them but because they are there forever( duh). By telling you to seek another artist I am in no way "hating on you" just trying to watch out for you so you don't end up with something you regret.
    his cock. hop off. faggot. hater.
  • SkullAndCrossbonesSkullAndCrossbones Posts: 16,452 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited October 2011
    i agree here. i would never go to an unprofessional artist. unprofessional as in someone who works out of there house and doesn't work for a reputible tattoo shop. i'd want the person tattooing me to have at least 5 - 10 years experience to ensure that im getting a quality tattoo. i wouldn't even let an apprentice to tattoo to me tbh, cause i would want peace of mind knowing that im gonna get a great tattoo. kind of selfish thinking there because how are they supposed to get practice if nobody lets them tattoo them? but whatever, i'd still rather get it from someone with a lot of experience.
    "That's another thing I love about metal, it's so fuckin' huge yet certain people don't even know it exists." - Rob Zombie