Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

My Heavy Metal project

13»

Comments

• SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    I like some of the songs on 72 Seasons, but the production is too clean for Metallica. They’re so oddly outside of their zone these days. I feel like Hetfield is pressing now and has been since St Anger to recapture his metal form.

On the other hand, the quality of Ozzy’s last two albums is fairly remarkable. He really lucked out being Andrew Watt’s pet project. It’s interesting how not writing their own music has benefitted guys like Ozzy because they can bring in new creatives if need be to breathe new life into their albums. Very few bands have managed that. Metallica songs are expected to be written by Metallica. For better or for worse. 
  • Dime2Dime2 Posts: 2,787 jayfacer
    I actually really loved Ordinary Man and enjoyed Patient Number 9. People can and will bitch all they want but Ozzys last two records have been great 
  • Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,526 moneytalker
    James has been pushing for Rob and Kirk to write more because he doesn’t want it to be just him and Lars anymore. Rob and Kirk played a bigger role in writing 72 Seasons. 

Pass the god damn butter.
    Dime2 said:
    I actually really loved Ordinary Man and enjoyed Patient Number 9. People can and will bitch all they want but Ozzys last two records have been great 
    People complain about them? It was the couple before these that were terrible
    James has been pushing for Rob and Kirk to write more because he doesn’t want it to be just him and Lars anymore. Rob and Kirk played a 

James has been pushing for Rob and Kirk to write more because he doesn’t want it to be just him and Lars anymore. Rob and Kirk played a bigger role in writing 72 Seasons. 

Yeah you can kinda tell he’s not that interested in metal anymore. I get it. He’s in his 60s, rich af, kids are grown. He’s got bees to keep, elk to hunt, cars to customize. I know if I was handcuffed to things I did as a young man, it would be an awkward fit now. It’s especially gotta be odd for him and Metallica because the music they actually made their money from is not what’s made them legendary. Those crappy Load albums probably sold more than any other album they made combined, aside from the Black album. Songs they don’t even play live anymore paid off their mansions. Metallica has a very complicated legacy
    SATAN said:
    Dime2 said:
    People complain about them? It was the couple before these that were terrible
     There was a lot of bitching and moaning about him working with Andrew Watt and featuring Post Malone. Hell, Post has honestly grown on me since then and I enjoy some of his work now, too. I thought Ordinary Man was a slam dunk tbh
    SATAN said:
    I like some of the songs on 72 Seasons, but the production is too clean for Metallica. They’re so oddly outside of their zone these days. I feel like Hetfield is pressing now and has been since St Anger to recapture his metal form.

On the other hand, the quality of Ozzy’s last two albums is fairly remarkable. He really lucked out being Andrew Watt’s pet project. It’s interesting how not writing their own music has benefitted guys like Ozzy because they can bring in new creatives if need be to breathe new life into their albums. Very few bands have managed that. Metallica songs are expected to be written by Metallica. For better or for worse. 
     Maybe it’s because I really deep dived the album before seeing them in November but I think 72 Seasons is the best post Load era album they’ve put out. I also really really like Load so take that for what you will. It takes a few more swings than Death Magnetic, which I also tend to enjoy a lot, but for my money 72 Seasons has a better batting average 
    I don’t hate 72 Seasons. In all honesty the annoying yellow color they have on everything is as much a turnoff as anything. It’s my second favorite post-Black album behind Hardwired. It’s just that modern Metallica just makes me want to listen to vintage Metallica
    I get that. I try to separate the two. Like, there never gonna drop anything as good as the first few but I can appreciate what we get now, for the most part. I think they’ve had a pretty solid 3 album run since Death Magnetic.