Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

My Heavy Metal project

SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
I started out just putting all my favorite metal albums and songs in order, but it’s turned into a labor of love. I took all of the albums and dug up their release dates, fed it all into a spreadsheet, put them in order, and have slowly built this playlist. I’m about 60% done with the list I’ve created. I’m up to November of 2004 now

I need some help though. 

While I started just adding my favorites, I realized that I’ve listened to a lot of them ad nauseum and wanted variety. So I started including bands, songs and albums I wasn’t too familiar with. I even added some stuff like Iron Maiden and King Diamond that I usually don’t like just to give it variety. It’s taken so much time and effort that I really want it to be comprehensive.

Look this over and tell me what I’m missing and/or what I should add

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4vq0wIIPh1Dj1BSx5eu5pV?si=X0fTqIJySequarIF8lkaoQ&pi=u-5twz2MX3SjmP

Comments

• FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    Map of metal >
  • Dime2Dime2 Posts: 2,787 jayfacer
    I mean it depends on what you personally want in it. Like I know you hate nu metal but my first thought at least as far as stuff that was influential to the genre as a whole would be some Korn and Deftones. As far as keeping in with the established list so far, I loved your Motörhead picks but imo they dropped an all time gem in 2004. The Inferno album kicks fucking ass and is a top 3 favorite for me, specifically the first 3 songs off the record Terminal Show, Killers & In The Name Of Tragedy would fit well with what you have. I actually love the playlist overall and like/know 95% of it. Idk how much feed back you want from ME specifically because you already have the thrash stuff I’m a slut for and you know I’m a nu metal slut personally but here’s some stuff you can sort through and decide on your own I guess. 2011’s Worship Music from Anthrax is phenomenal and my favorite record from them and the 2016 track Blood Eagle Wings from them is also magnificent (I do also really enjoy the For All Kings record from which that song is taken from but Worship Music is better). 
                           As far as “newer” stuff, I will eternally schill for GFM. They had an E.P. In 2020 called Opeartion: Takeover and it’s amazing, the song Bones being the chalk pick for me there. Im also really digging Fire From The Gods. Their 2016 record Narrative isn’t the best from them but the song In Spite Of Doubt rips. I personally like their 2022 record Soul Revolution the best from them, but they lean more nu-Metalish so if you don’t like In Spite Of Doubt you can just skip them. I’d throw some Dethklok in the list and The Hu is a newer band that’s pretty rad, specifically 2019’s The Gereg. Since we’re on foreign bands (The Hu is Mongolian) I’ll just give you another one in the Japanese group Maximum The Hormone who are essentially a Japanese SOAD but better. I don’t speak a word of Japanese but I know 2007’s Bu-Ikikaesu word for word, that record slaps. I’d throw some KSE on it, too. Mudvayne gets lumped into the nu-Metal crowd but they have some crazy shit, I think you’d like the debut record LD.50 if anything. Unless I missed it, some Suicidal Tendencies representation is needed too. That’s all I could recommend without the obvious stuff that you’d hate like P.O.D or Sevendust or something lol 
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Suicidal Tendencies
    Annihilator
    Death Angel
    Flotsam and Jetsam 
    Dirty Rotten Imbeciles 
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    edited December 2023
    I actually like a lot of first wave nu metal like Deftones and crossover like Suicidal and DRI, but I tried not to have too much in there. I do have *some* in there like Sacred Reich and Vision of Disorder. I actually thought about this really hard. It was difficult for me to not have it melt into a blur of thrash and death metal, cuz those are my bread and butter. Ive thought a lot about bands like Alice In Chains and White/Rob Zombie and Tool. I consciously excluded stuff like drone, post-metal, and most grindcore and hardcore. Having Dillinger and Converge really speaks to how much I love those bands more than their fit. Same with the Mike Patton stuff I squeezed in. I had to learn about Doom Metal, so if any of you know that stuff lemme know. I really need suggestions on stuff like Amon Amarth, Black Dahlia Murder, that era and later. I know stuff like Mastodon and Behemoth and Cattle Decap really well. I have Pallbearer, Conan and Tomb Mold on the list for later on. But I’m behind on the Power Trips and Hooded Menaces out there. 

I’m gonna add those Motörhead, Annihilator and Death Angel pronto though. I think I have some DA in there but it might be Dark Angel instead. 

• mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    When I break things up I listen to 90’s dance music and power/fantasy metal lol
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Yeah when I saw you didn't have Suicidal Tendencies on there I had a feeling it was a conscious choice, but I put it on there anyway. 

When I'm bored I'll pop some suggestions in here as I think of em
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    Been listening to a lot of dragoncorpse lately 
    This is what I spend most of my time doing at work tbh
    I have a bunch of other playlists, but this one is the most thorough

I’ve only had Spotify since September. Give me time and I’ll have half a zillion of these things
  • Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,526 moneytalker
    As I was scrolling and thinking of bands that you may have missed, most of them eventually showed up. 
    Pass the god damn butter.
    I figured ST was a conscious choice but I Stan them too much to not mention it lol was happy to see some Type O Negative representation 
    Yeah I love me some Peter Steele
    Dime2 said:
    I mean it depends on what you personally want in it. Like I know you hate nu metal but my first thought at least as far as stuff that was influential to the genre as a whole would be some Korn and Deftones. As far as keeping in with the established list so far, I loved your Motörhead picks but imo they dropped an all time gem in 2004. The Inferno album kicks fucking ass and is a top 3 favorite for me, specifically the first 3 songs off the record Terminal Show, Killers & In The Name Of Tragedy would fit well with what you have. I actually love the playlist overall and like/know 95% of it. Idk how much feed back you want from ME specifically because you already have the thrash stuff I’m a slut for and you know I’m a nu metal slut personally but here’s some stuff you can sort through and decide on your own I guess. 2011’s Worship Music from Anthrax is phenomenal and my favorite record from them and the 2016 track Blood Eagle Wings from them is also magnificent (I do also really enjoy the For All Kings record from which that song is taken from but Worship Music is better). 
                           As far as “newer” stuff, I will eternally schill for GFM. They had an E.P. In 2020 called Opeartion: Takeover and it’s amazing, the song Bones being the chalk pick for me there. Im also really digging Fire From The Gods. Their 2016 record Narrative isn’t the best from them but the song In Spite Of Doubt rips. I personally like their 2022 record Soul Revolution the best from them, but they lean more nu-Metalish so if you don’t like In Spite Of Doubt you can just skip them. I’d throw some Dethklok in the list and The Hu is a newer band that’s pretty rad, specifically 2019’s The Gereg. Since we’re on foreign bands (The Hu is Mongolian) I’ll just give you another one in the Japanese group Maximum The Hormone who are essentially a Japanese SOAD but better. I don’t speak a word of Japanese but I know 2007’s Bu-Ikikaesu word for word, that record slaps. I’d throw some KSE on it, too. Mudvayne gets lumped into the nu-Metal crowd but they have some crazy shit, I think you’d like the debut record LD.50 if anything. Unless I missed it, some Suicidal Tendencies representation is needed too. That’s all I could recommend without the obvious stuff that you’d hate like P.O.D or Sevendust or something lol 
    Best 3 songs on Worship Music?

Best 5 KSE songs?

Suicidal Tendencies
    Annihilator
    Death Angel
    Flotsam and Jetsam 
    Dirty Rotten Imbeciles 
    Best 5 Annihilator?

Best 5 Death Angel?

Best 5 Flotsam & Jetsam?
    If you really want a shake up I can give you some of my weird interests but it possible you just old man shake fists at sky when you listen lol 
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    The biggest thing I can’t handle is the whiney “melodic” singing parts from a lot of modern stuff. Other than that, I’ll give almost anything a chance
    SATAN said:
    Dime2 said:
    Best 3 songs on Worship Music?

Best 5 KSE songs?
     Shit really tough but top 3 best on Worship Music I’d go Fight Em’ Til You Can’t, I’m Alive and The Constant for me personally.

Top 5 KSE is insanely tough for me so I’m just gonna give you 5 that I’m vibing the fuck out of right now. Signal Fire, My Last Serenade, Still Beats Your Name, Declaration and The Crownless King 
    It’s weird. I’ve seen KSE at least 3 times live but I know next to nothing about them aside from their lead singer turnover
    Anyone got a Top 5 list for post-2000 Megadeth?

I bailed after Countdown, but I hear the later stuff is ok. I try to imagine that the late 90s didn’t happen to most thrash bands🫣
    For the out there that you’ll probably not like but I’m gonna suggest anyway lol 

Bridge City Sinners - Unholy Hymns 
    Kim Dracula - Reunion and Reintegration 
    Electric Callboy - We Got The Moves 
    Poppy - Concrete 
    Ghostemane - Nihil
    Maximum The Hormone - Alien :

for heavy and No whiny per request 

The Gloom In The Corner - Witch Hunt
    Alpha Wolf - Akudema 
    Autumn Lies Buried - Fuck Around and Find Out 
    Paleface Swiss - Human Hunter 
    Brand Of Sacrifice - Eclipse 

for songs that have good entertaining lyrics like the sound or not: 

Cancer Slug - Dick Solid 
    Sunrise Skater Kids - Trigger Warning (you may want to follow the lyrics on this one online for when it hits the breakdown it’s worth it) 
    Jarrod Alonge - Suck My 401k (again might want to follow lyrics)