Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Books Thread

Comments

• MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,705 spicy boy
    edited July 2021
    Lord Of The Rings trilogy audio books withs Andy Serkis narrations are coming out in September now. 

Feel like I should have waited lol. Oh well. I like Rob Inglis too. Maybe I'll listen to the Serkis version a relisten down the line. 
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
    Anyone use the app Hoopla? 
    It connects to a library card and gives you access to ebooks, music streaming, and audio books. 

Did a quick look and it looks like they have the Harry Potter audiobooks on there, so I might give those a listen once I'm done with some things on Audible. 
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy
    Im on the audible train. Starting with A Game of thrones. Never read them. Im in my car all the time so im excited. 
  • Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,526 moneytalker
    I can gift you one of the main books in that series, or The World of Ice and Fire (a Westeros history world building book that includes the conquest of the 7 kingdoms) or the book with the Dunk and Egg stories. All excellent. 

You only ever get one free gift though. Choose wisely. 
    Pass the god damn butter.
  • SandyVaginaSandyVagina Posts: 618 just the tip
    I just got Bob Daisley's autobiography For Facts Sake. That guy was in tons of bands!
  • GnomezGnomez Posts: 17,550 master of ceremonies
    Long time no see @SandyVagina
    Hows life in Chi town ?
  • SandyVaginaSandyVagina Posts: 618 just the tip
    Chicago is still a hotbed of gang shootings, political corruption and some nasty thunderstorms have raked through the area the last few days. So, like normal.  Hope all is well in NZ.
  • GnomezGnomez Posts: 17,550 master of ceremonies
    Sounds like a lovely place to be.....
    I've been down in queenstown for a week skiing. 
    It was so nice to get away and have a break from work...I really needed it 
    Finished Return Of The King. Great as always. I forgot how little Gimli and Legolas are in the book. 

Gonna take a break from Tolkien and listen to a few other books before I dive in and listen to some of the extended lore books like The Silmarillion, Beren and Luthien, The Children of Hurin, etc. 

Going to be listening to an audio book of Alice In Wonderland narrated by Scarlet Johannsson. 
    Finished Alice In Wonderland, moving on to Through The Looking Glass, narrated by Harlan Ellison 
    Finished Through The Looking Glass

Will be starting The Planet Of The Apes tomorrow.
    Just finished the Planet Of The Apes audio book. 

Was really different than the movies, but still really good I thought. Interesting to see different elements of the book adapted in different movies in different ways. Still need to find the TV show now. 

Debating whether to listen through some King Arthur/Beowulf/Robin Hood stories next, or get back into some Star Wars audio books for a while. 
    Accidently bought a book on Kindle because of 1 click purchasing :| 

At least it was only $2 but still, what a dumb feature. 
  • Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,526 moneytalker
    Try the Mistborn series. Brandon Sanderson is building his own massive universe known as The Cosmere, and Mistborn is a great place to start. (Sanderson finished the last three books ofThe Wheel of Time series after Robert Jordan died before completing the series. Jordan’s estate hired him after reading Mistborn)
    Pass the god damn butter.
    Learned how to make my own ebooks from PDFs. Let the games begin
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    You writing something? 
    You writing something? 
    Oh no, just downloading stuff to read lol
    Started The Merry Adventures Of Robin Hood by Howard Pyle today (narrated by Christopher Cazenove) 

I love charasmatic, merry, sarcastic, sly characters. Probably my fav character archetype behind "too angry to die". 
    edited September 2021
    Finished Pyle's Robin Hood last night - loved it. Anyone have any other Robin Hood recommendations? 

Im also halfway through Beowulf right now (translated by Seamus Heaney, narrated by George Guidall). I dont love it. It's kind of bland and hard to follow. I wonder if Tolkien'a translation is any better. Never read Beowulf, but I did read Grendel in high school and remember liking that a lot. I may have to focus more on it when I'm less tired.