Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Books Thread

Comments

• Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,526 moneytalker
    There is a Bane trilogy and it’s awesome! 

Plageuis is mandatory. Bump that shit waaay to the top of the list. It really highlights the long game Palpatine played. The books give such great insight to all of the characters as you see things from their POV and have access to thoughts and emotions that they can only try to hint at movies. We’ve seen Jedi use their force abilities plenty of times, but the way they can describe things so much better in books really brings it home. The POV of Ani/Vader using the pre-cognitive abilities of the force both in battle and for piloting was very cool see, you learn a lot more about how the finer details and mechanics of how the force works as opposed them just “using the force” to block blaster bolts with a lightsaber and stuff (Thrawn Alliances)

Seeing the decades long POV from Palpatine unfold and play out? *chef’s kiss*
    If people ever only read one extra SW book it should be this one. 

Ive got the next Thrawn book preordered already. 
    Pass the god damn butter.
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Finished Ahsoka, was alright. Ended kind of abruptly. 

Starting Dark Disciple tomorrow
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy
    edited April 2021
    Rex no read gud in book thread. 

💀 
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,705 spicy boy
    Started Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology today. Audiobook, narrated by Gaiman himself
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
    Norse Myths was a lot of fun. Finished it last week

Started The Hobbit audiobook a few days ago, narrated by Andy Serkis. His narration is a lot of fun. I got to the Riddles In The Dark part yesterday, and hearing him recite Gollum's quotes in his Gollum voice was amazing. 
    Finished The Hobbit. Andy Serkis's narration was great, aside from his singing, which was honestly pretty bad lol. But very enjoyable audio book. It had been at least 10 years since I read The Hobbit, so it was a great revisit. 

I'll be starting The Fellowship Of The Ring narrated by Rob Inglis tonight
    The podcast I listen to on the drive to work is on hiatus so i have been thinking about picking up some audiobooks. The Hobbit might be it.

@Jobe_Wan_Kenobi any idea if Wheel of Times audiobook is good? I've seen you hyping this series for a while n
    I finished Dark Disciple. Holy shit what a book. @JLRedWing13 if you're ever craving more Filoni Clone Wars era content this hits the spot. 
    The podcast I listen to on the drive to work is on hiatus so i have been thinking about picking up some audiobooks. The Hobbit might be it.

@Jobe_Wan_Kenobi any idea if Wheel of Times audiobook is good? I've seen you hyping this series for a while n

The audiobooks narrators (one male one female) are very good. The series is a basic hero’s journey with great character development and the world building and magic systems are very well done but it is also long af and drags in places. Best thing about the story is how big it is. Worst thing about the story is also how big it is. 14 books each 35-40 hours long (plus a prequel!) That’s a metric fuck ton of listening time. Either it’s your type of thing or it’s not lol. It’s just too big of a commitment for some, but that kind of world building really pays off at the end. 

Production just wrapped on the first season and Amazon already renewed another season or two. 
    I'm down for a long story, if anything thats kinda what I'm looking for. It'll be kinda cool to get in on the ground floor before the show starts 
    I can gift you a book if you’ve never gotten one before. Audible only lets you receive one free book ever. If you have book one already I can link you another. 

Listen to The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan on Audible. 

• balanced_void91balanced_void91 Posts: 2,782 balls deep
    I saw star wars books being discussed. I have read the Darth bane trilogy and its some of the best stuff I have ever read especially the very end of the third book had my jaw dropped. Darth Plaguis is also a fun read as it explains things that went down in the 6 movies including the birth of Anakin. The Old Republic books are definitely worth giving a read as well. 
    Finally finishing the Fellowship Of The Ring audio book. Rob Inglis's narration took a while for me to warm up to, but I ultimately like his narration. Onto the Two Towers. 
    Started reading Light of the Jedi. Pretty good so far
    Finished audio book for The Two Towers
    Rob Inglis's performance was really enjoyable. Stronger than in The Fellowship I think. 

Onto Return Of The King 
    Something about his voice and accent is just so soothing and relaxing. It just feels right for those stories. 
    Something about his voice and accent is just so soothing and relaxing. It just feels right for those stories. 
    Audio books narrated by British people just hit different