Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

From Those Fishes.

Comments

• Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,526 moneytalker
    I’d support your mope session if you fell down a weird rabbit hole of depression and just played a lute for 3 months, or take up Mongolian throat singing, or started rocking a sitar. Do something though. 
    Pass the god damn butter.
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,706 spicy boy
    Its all good, he can have his shitty music, playing his popularity contest in his clubhouses where nobody actually gives a fuck about him. I own a house and have a girlfriend who loves me, and have genuine friends. Things he'll never have.

I just didnt appreciate him taking a dig at me
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • ThatGuyArloThatGuyArlo Posts: 1,430 jayfacer
    You sound quite jealous of him honestly. 

Would really like to hear his take on this. 
    Maybe it’s not a dig at you. Your ego is bruised right now. Maybe he’s just trying to explain or validate the move he made. It probably wasn’t an easy choice for him. Stop being bitter and wish him well. His success is not preventing your success. 
    Him leaving the band is unrelated to most of my negativity. It was the straw that broke the camel's back, but I was going to leave the band after our last show regardless. I've felt this way for a while leading up to it. Apparently he did too, which is why he also left. 

The scene here fucking sucks. He got in with a band thats "in" and now he's acting brand new. Thats it. His comment was 100% at me because Ive been so vocal about how much I hate this scene as my band fell apart. 

Im 100% jealous his band gets all the good shows. But it wouldnt matter if I started a new band or not, because Im not in the clique. I'll always have the same problems FTA had. Because this scene fucking sucks. 

Im trying my best to move on, but its hard working in the music industry. Its a constant, daily reminder of my failure.
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,593 spicy boy
    if the scene sucks move somewhere that it doesn't. 
    edited January 29
    if the scene sucks move somewhere that it doesn't. 
    There are far too many variables in my life for that to be feasible now. I should have moved 6 years ago. Though pre-covid, the scene was decent. 
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    I could be misremembering but I was having a discussion last year with someone about Chicago and the scene since I always seen you upset about it. Asked what the deal was and asked about FTA specifically. Was told you were given advice and to start networking heavily you didn’t want to do that an relied on the thought that if the music alone is good it should be enough. 

Again could be misremembering parts of the convo but the general idea was you weren’t following the advice given when it came to that scene so maybe it’s not all the scene idk. 

I actively avoided being a part of any “scene” growing up half my friends were in straight edge crews and the other half were the ones they were trying to fight I found it all stupid but that was a different time. 
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    Dunno who you talked to, but nobody has ever talked to me about networking. 

And I've definitely networked on my own. 
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    I know nothing about melodeath or metalcore. Are there scenes anywhere for that sort of music? The only metal I know about from Chicago is Lair of the Minotaur, Master, Trouble and Broken Hope. Most of them are old af and likely not part of any current scene
    Now I was told my shitty recordings were holding us back, to wherd I said "the music should speak for itself, and should be good enough", but I've realized I was wrong about that, and have since rerecorded those songs, because Ive learned production goes a very long way with metal these days
    SATAN said:
    I know nothing about melodeath or metalcore. Are there scenes anywhere for that sort of music? The only metal I know about from Chicago is Lair of the Minotaur, Master, Trouble and Broken Hope. Most of them are old af and likely not part of any current scene
    There isnt really a "scene" right now when it comes to metal. Just a bunch of bands doing their own thing and playing with their friends. The closest thing we have is the upcoming hoodcore scene. Hardcore ran supreme for a while, but that scene is full of abusers
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    Now I was told my shitty recordings were holding us back, to wherd I said "the music should speak for itself, and should be good enough", but I've realized I was wrong about that, and have since rerecorded those songs, because Ive learned production goes a very long way with metal these days
    Yeah you and I directly had conversations about that at one point so I didn’t mix that with this other conversation 
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    mrAPE said:
    Yeah you and I directly had conversations about that at one point so I didn’t mix that with this other conversation 
    Dunno then.
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    So I just got around to listening to Dusk Descending/Dawn Ascending. 

This is really good!

I prefer the growls to the clean vocals because they’re pretty ferocious. There’s a lot of potential here. Lots of TBDM and SYL vibes. War of Attrition smokes! I’m really sad you’re leaving this behind. My only problem is kinda emblematic of my issues with metalcore in general is the lack of dynamic. Only the clean guitars What Lies Within and rap metal feel of A Odious World have much more than the gallop and stomp of the other tracks. It’s typical of metal to stay in one lane, but I get bored by it. I know you’re into synth music and gonzo rock (PC/DFD) and I would love to hear some of that incorporated into this. It would make it stick out more. These are minor gripes, as this is very well formed metal. I’m proud of you Aaron 
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    Buy a 4 track and start doing a bunch of drugs 
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    SATAN said:
    There isnt really a "scene" right now when it comes to metal. Just a bunch of bands doing their own thing and playing with their friends. 
    Isn't that all a scene is anyway? 
    edited January 30
    SATAN said:
    There isnt really a "scene" right now when it comes to metal. Just a bunch of bands doing their own thing and playing with their friends. 
    Isn't that all a scene is anyway? 
    In Nashville, people just went to shows. They went because they liked music. They went to discover new bands. They went to build their local bands up. People took a chance on no-names, booked them, went to see them. 

In Chicago, its just a small number of bands getting all the gigs because their friends with the promoters. People just go to see their friends play, and then dip. Nobody sticks around for the small no name bands. Nobody is there to discover new bands. Nobody is there for the music. 

When we'd play out of state, in like Michigan or Indiana, the shows were packed. People were there just to see a show and hear new music. Chicago doesnt have that. If you're not part of a clique, nobody comes to your shows. 
    Drive more to play more shows then. Obvious solution is obvious. 
    SATAN said:
    So I just got around to listening to Dusk Descending/Dawn Ascending. 

This is really good!

I prefer the growls to the clean vocals because they’re pretty ferocious. There’s a lot of potential here. Lots of TBDM and SYL vibes. War of Attrition smokes! I’m really sad you’re leaving this behind. My only problem is kinda emblematic of my issues with metalcore in general is the lack of dynamic. Only the clean guitars What Lies Within and rap metal feel of A Odious World have much more than the gallop and stomp of the other tracks. It’s typical of metal to stay in one lane, but I get bored by it. I know you’re into synth music and gonzo rock (PC/DFD) and I would love to hear some of that incorporated into this. It would make it stick out more. These are minor gripes, as this is very well formed metal. I’m proud of you Aaron 
    Thanks. This is the rerecording of our first two EPs. The production is so much better than the originals. Made a lot of difference.