Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The MCU/DC Discussion and Spoiler Thread

Comments

• SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
  • Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,526 moneytalker
    It nice that you guys still humor MC and his shitty opinions. 
    Pass the god damn butter.
    Like what the Batman character has always been? Lol
     He isnt constantly dark, edgy, hopeless, and opressive. The corelation with Batman being dark and edgy didnt start until Nolan. And I hate Nolan for it. 

TAS isnt like that. The Justice League cartoon wasnt like that. The Arkham games arent like that. The new animated movies arent like that. The comics arent like that. They're still comic booky, fantastical, with quirky characters, outlandish outfits, and Batman still has occasional humor and hope that shines through. 

Batman had the occasional dark story, but it wasnt the defining trait. 

The animated series would like a word with you. 
    https://www.vulture.com/article/oral-history-batman-the-animated-series.html

Notice how many times they mention making it dark. 
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,705 spicy boy
    Like what the Batman character has always been? Lol
     He isnt constantly dark, edgy, hopeless, and opressive. The corelation with Batman being dark and edgy didnt start until Nolan. And I hate Nolan for it. 

TAS isnt like that. The Justice League cartoon wasnt like that. The Arkham games arent like that. The new animated movies arent like that. The comics arent like that. They're still comic booky, fantastical, with quirky characters, outlandish outfits, and Batman still has occasional humor and hope that shines through. 

Batman had the occasional dark story, but it wasnt the defining trait. 

The animated series would like a word with you. 
    Literally said "TAS" isnt like that. 
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
    https://www.vulture.com/article/oral-history-batman-the-animated-series.html

Notice how many times they mention making it dark. 
    And yet it's still a cartoon suitable for kids, with wacky villains and plots, with a Bruce Wayne with personality, and a Batman that's a symbol of hope for a corrupt city. Hmmm 🤔🤔

• EpisodeMnHEpisodeMnH Posts: 4,715 jayfacer
    How is he not still a symbol of hope? TDK trilogy Batman was dark and he was still publicly beloved in that version of Gotham and was still a hero and symbol of hope.
    How is he not still a symbol of hope? TDK trilogy Batman was dark and he was still publicly beloved in that version of Gotham and was still a hero and symbol of hope.
    Barely. By the end, maybe. TDK trilogy had a lot of issues though. 

Idk. Im just sick of the realistic, grounded obsession with things lately. I like my super heroes fantastical, and that includes Batman. 
    Prolly why I find Doom Patrol so lit tbh. Shit's bonkers. 
    Way before the Nolan Movies, TAS was designed to be dark and gritty from the get go. They actively avoided making it cheesy or campy. They grounded it in the real world as much as possible. They added depth and realism to comic book characters. It everything you claim to hate, yet it was amazing. 

You just don’t know how to enjoy things. 

Lines from the article proving MC flat out wrong...

“They were taking some wrong turns here and there with the development and the vision of the show, and some other writers had come in, and Batman was a little too Saturday-morning. It was not really the vision that Bruce had for the show, because he wanted it to be dark and cinematic, unlike what was on TV at that time at all.”

“The backgrounds were created very differently: They were done on black paper, which gave it that very dark style. Nothing had been that dark.”

“KC: I had no preconceptions about the character, either. Bruce Timm said, “What do you know about Batman?” And I said, “Well, I know the Adam West show from the ’60s.” He said, “Oh, no, no, that’s not what we’re doing! Forget that!” He had to explain to me the Dark Knight legacy and how dark this character was: “He’s avenging his parents’ deaths and he’s got these dual identities.” I said, “You’re describing an archetypal hero, almost like a Hamlet character.” I was putting it in terms of stage roles that I was familiar with. I let my imagination go and I just went to [Batman voice] the darkest, most painful place in my voice [returns to normal voice] and it just came out. I saw them get very excited in the booth.”

BT: “Everybody who came in to audition for the Joker was doing, basically, [Adam West–era Joker actor] Cesar Romero. They weren’t treating the character seriously. All of the actors that we tested were all doing these really silly and bizarre voices. None of it had any serious threat to it at all. “

BT: “Right out of the gate, we wanted to explore the deeper bench of Batman’s rogues gallery. Man-Bat was perfect for us because he was an iconic character from the comics. He was a monstery kind of character, so it allowed us to kind of go into the darker, horror, mystery side of the show, so it’s not just all about goofy villains and wacky crimes.”
    Way before the Nolan Movies, TAS was designed to be dark and gritty from the get go. They actively avoided making it cheesy or campy. They grounded it in the real world as much as possible. They added depth and realism to comic book characters. It everything you claim to hate, yet it was amazing. 

You just don’t know how to enjoy things. 

Lines from the article proving MC flat out wrong...

“They were taking some wrong turns here and there with the development and the vision of the show, and some other writers had come in, and Batman was a little too Saturday-morning. It was not really the vision that Bruce had for the show, because he wanted it to be dark and cinematic, unlike what was on TV at that time at all.”

“The backgrounds were created very differently: They were done on black paper, which gave it that very dark style. Nothing had been that dark.”

“KC: I had no preconceptions about the character, either. Bruce Timm said, “What do you know about Batman?” And I said, “Well, I know the Adam West show from the ’60s.” He said, “Oh, no, no, that’s not what we’re doing! Forget that!” He had to explain to me the Dark Knight legacy and how dark this character was: “He’s avenging his parents’ deaths and he’s got these dual identities.” I said, “You’re describing an archetypal hero, almost like a Hamlet character.” I was putting it in terms of stage roles that I was familiar with. I let my imagination go and I just went to [Batman voice] the darkest, most painful place in my voice [returns to normal voice] and it just came out. I saw them get very excited in the booth.”

BT: “Everybody who came in to audition for the Joker was doing, basically, [Adam West–era Joker actor] Cesar Romero. They weren’t treating the character seriously. All of the actors that we tested were all doing these really silly and bizarre voices. None of it had any serious threat to it at all. “

BT: “Right out of the gate, we wanted to explore the deeper bench of Batman’s rogues gallery. Man-Bat was perfect for us because he was an iconic character from the comics. He was a monstery kind of character, so it allowed us to kind of go into the darker, horror, mystery side of the show, so it’s not just all about goofy villains and wacky crimes.”
    Never said I wanted a parody like Adam West. Just fun and not grounded in hyper realism. Which TAS is fun and not grounded in hyper realism sooo... 
    Your original complaint was DC going grimdark. When we showed you it’s always been that way, you shifted to wanting a detective story. When you were told it’s a detective story you shifted to wanting it fun and wacky. 

It doesn’t matter what it is, you’re just going to be mad cuz you wanted something else, even if they actually give you what you actually said you wanted. You don’t judge shit for what it is, you judge it for what it isn’t. 
  • Dime2Dime2 Posts: 2,790 jayfacer
    Bruh if I was ever watching a Batman movie and Batman walked up to a cow and pet it and said "Bat cow" with that stupid ass grin I'd turn the movie off and declare it the worst Batman anything ever 
    Your original complaint was DC going grimdark. When we showed you it’s always been that way, you shifted to wanting a detective story. When you were told it’s a detective story you shifted to wanting it fun and wacky. 

It doesn’t matter what it is, you’re just going to be mad cuz you wanted something else, even if they actually give you what you actually said you wanted. You don’t judge shit for what it is, you judge it for what it isn’t. 
    The issue IS that it's grimdark. I dont give a fuck what that interview says, TAS NEVER gets that dark. Neither does the Arkham games, or the new animated movies, nor the comics - with some specific exceptions. As a whole, Batman isn't as dark as movie directors make him out to be. Sure he's darker than Superman. But again, he isn't Punisher. And even through the darkness, there should still be a level of fun, and zaniness with the villains. 

For as "dark and scary" as something like Clayface was, Batman still is out here saying "we'll find you a cure". You still have the over the top Clayface design. The subtle joke before he "dies". It's a serious scene, but it isn't fucking Nolan serious or grimdark like the new trailer is. THIS is what I'm talking about here. Its "dark" and serious, but still stylized, with a positive Batman portraying a HERO, with comic booky vibes in the villains. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76-8xyGf7w0
    Building on that, let's discuss Riddler in general. 
    I think his depiction in the Arkham games was amazing. Yes, it was a much more "dark and mature" version of him, basically turning Riddler into Jigsaw, but he was still a goofy cornball who spoke in riddles, who wore a green and purple suit with question marks all over it. The comic-y-ness still stood out, even though they attempted a more serious depiction. 

I don't get that from how he's shown nor talked about with the new movie. 

If you look at this, you know, undeniably, that THIS is The Riddler, even with a more realistic depiction:

This could be fucking anybody:

I’m not gonna nerd rage based off of a photo. You do this every time a movie comes out. Same shit different movie. You can make your mind up before you see it, I’ll watch the product and then decide for myself if I liked it or not. 
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    I think DC is fucking up by tossing all these different “incarnations” of characters out in the movies. I’ve read in the last week that Affleck is back in the swirl based on HBO picking up the Snyder cut, with ‘The Batman’ solo project back on the burner. Then somehow The Flash movie now has Michael Keaton as Batman, putting the Burton Gotham back into relevance. DC are like a blind gunslinger, shooting in all directions hoping to hit
    Thy sucked so bad at building a universe that they have given up and are just throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks. At least it gives them room to green light some projects that would have never gotten off the ground if they stuck to trying to copy the Marvel approach. 

Fuck it, let’s get weird. - someone at DC, hopefully 
    I am a bit hyped for this Suicide Squad. Bit skeptical because I HATED the first one and didn't think Birds of Prey was that good, and don't like Margo Robbie as Harley... BUT... It looks wild as Hell, with some absurd characters like TDK. So Im about it. 

I have faith in Gunn. 
    SATAN said:
    I think DC is fucking up by tossing all these different “incarnations” of characters out in the movies. I’ve read in the last week that Affleck is back in the swirl based on HBO picking up the Snyder cut, with ‘The Batman’ solo project back on the burner. Then somehow The Flash movie now has Michael Keaton as Batman, putting the Burton Gotham back into relevance. DC are like a blind gunslinger, shooting in all directions hoping to hit
    Thy sucked so bad at building a universe that they have given up and are just throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks. At least it gives them room to green light some projects that would have never gotten off the ground if they stuck to trying to copy the Marvel approach. 

Fuck it, let’s get weird. - someone at DC, hopefully 
    They skipped the "universe" and jumped right into multi-verses. 

They have several connected universes that are going to be crossing over during events. So instead of building up to like Infinity War-like events that brings the individual movie properties together, they'll have Crisis On Infinite Earths events that bring all the multiverses together. They did that in the CW shows, bringing in like Kevin Conroy as a live-action Batman.

And that's what they're doing with The Flash movie that's coming out - It's going to be a Flashpoint like thing, with multiple Batmans.