Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Aging Metalhead Thread

Comments

• FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    Whenever I talk to people and the conversation moves to music, if we are clearly on different ends of what we like I'll make a joke about me not like of their shitty music tastes as well as them not liking my shitty music tastes. Comments like Satan's make it sound like he only listens to good music and while he may not be aware of all good music, at least he doesn't listen to bad music...and thats just wrong. 
    image Photobucket
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Jobe said:
    I remember all the shit music quite clearly, but there was always gold to be found as well. Metallica, GnR, AiC during the grunge explosion. Coolio might have been selling, but that was the pop side of shit. Appetite for Destruction. The Chronic. Nevermind, where are today's equivalent albums? The new headliners? 
    Well there's part of the problem. The new headliners are nothing but shit. Despite your comment about "pop shit" all of the albums and bands you named got heavy radio and MTV play when they came out. In light of the internet age, there seems to be less and less of good AND popular heavy music. If its popular enough to get radio play, its probably shit. If its good enough to warrant a listen, its probably unknown to the general public. 

Dont get me wrong, I know metal has always been underground. I'm just saying that the days of good bands transcending into mainstream popularity are long gone. The gold is still there, you just have to dig for it a lot harder now.
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    I don't think those type of albums are still possible. Mainly because of the audience. Back in the day, you were held hostage to the radio. Albums like Nevermind were your savior from garbage and I think it inflated their status. Without commercial radio controlling people's listening trends as much, you kinda see people section off into 2 groups. Group A are the types that just continue to have slop thrown at them. Nickelback, Drake, Beiber...these are your people. All major pop genres have been in a holding pattern for 16-18 years now because the audience doesn't ask for more. Then on the other hand you have group B that are usually hipsters that are constantly trying to stay ahead of the curve and don't allow music to really settle in enough to become "classic". The result is a Billboard chart that only loosely reflects to listening habits of the population. You end up with these acts that are more reviled than revered. Like if you look at popular bands considered to be metal, most are the Black Veil Brides type that get booed at their awards presentations. Nobody that's really associated with the core of the genre really takes them seriously. In a different time, I think the recent Mastodon albums would hold a higher ranking, mainly because they strike a balance. I think it's important to remember that the albums you mentioned are also classics of major label releases. There are prolly 20 albums released in '87 better than Appetite. GnR were just better than the Poisons and Bon Jovis that they were up against. 
    Whenever I talk to people and the conversation moves to music, if we are clearly on different ends of what we like I'll make a joke about me not like of their shitty music tastes as well as them not liking my shitty music tastes. Comments like Satan's make it sound like he only listens to good music and while he may not be aware of all good music, at least he doesn't listen to bad music...and thats just wrong. 
    Wut
  • Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,526 moneytalker
    =))

I checked out that band you were writing 13 year old Stan letters to, Blackheart Procession... 

Let's just say it's not for me.
    Pass the god damn butter.
    It's not for everyone 

That's a funny analogy though
    SATAN said:
    Naw man. You're cool. You just have bad taste. I have lots of good friends that are the same way, so I don't judge. I'm just stating my feelings about these "artists"
    This is such a patronizing comment lol and you're excluding successful musicians as artists. Music evolves. After we're dead and man kind has moved on and the earth turns to dust....will all good music come from guitars and drums?
    image Photobucket
    My own point for blurred here. Fuck it 
    image Photobucket
    SATAN said:
    Naw man. You're cool. You just have bad taste. I have lots of good friends that are the same way, so I don't judge. I'm just stating my feelings about these "artists"
    This is such a patronizing comment lol and you're excluding successful musicians as artists. Music evolves. After we're dead and man kind has moved on and the earth turns to dust....will all good music come from guitars and drums?
    It was meant as a joke. I just like to needle people. It's funny when people get butthurt about my opinions on shit. I really don't know why anyone cares what I think. It's hilarious to me when Nola rages out because I say the Beatles suck. I'm just some grumpy dickhead on the internet. There are things I could make fun of all day that I like. Who cares?
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    Beatles do suck. 
  • Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,526 moneytalker
    It is known.
    Pass the god damn butter.
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    Hey now meatloaf was awesome cmon now lol

and go ahead and name 20 albums better than appetite in 87? :!!
    SATAN said:
    SATAN said:
    It was meant as a joke. I just like to needle people. It's funny when people get butthurt about my opinions on shit. I really don't know why anyone cares what I think. It's hilarious to me when Nola rages out because I say the Beatles suck. I'm just some grumpy dickhead on the internet. There are things I could make fun of all day that I like. Who cares?
    I get all white knighty after a couple beers. I hate POD. I don't know what the fuck I was doing 
    image Photobucket
    Shoulda ate a snickers
    image Photobucket
    Hey now meatloaf was awesome cmon now lol

and go ahead and name 20 albums better than appetite in 87? :!!
    Off the top of my head, 'Scum' and 'Scream Bloody Gore'. I'm pretty sure 'Straight Outta Compton', 'Rhyme Pays' and '3 Feet High and Rising' too. It's subjective, so I'm not gonna waste time on a long list. I'm not a gigantic proponent of 'Appetite' to begin with. 'My Michelle' and 'Mr. Brownstone' get cranked, but 'Sweet Child O Mine' is one of the most annoying pieces of music produced over the last 30 years...in my most humble opinion
  • NecrothulhuNecrothulhu Posts: 33,444 master of ceremonies
    Everything GnR is annoying to me besides one song. Amd that's the one that was in Terminator 2
    imageimage
    'Franks Wild Years', 'This Notes For You'...
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    yea GnR r butt