Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Aging Metalhead Thread

Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,526 moneytalker
A place for aging metalheads issues. 

Favorite bands don't tour anymore, broke up or went to shit. All your shirts are faded T shirts from defunct bands and dead tours. Favorite forums lack new threads. Finding new bands is harder and harder. Getting hyped for shows is damn near impossible.

Let's see if this thread goes anywhere.

Pass the god damn butter.

Comments

• MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    Bro you're on the internet it's easy to find new bands and then you can buy their merch when you see them on tour
  • Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,526 moneytalker
    Sifting through bands on the internet requires time and effort I can't seem to muster anymore. I still try, I just keep being consistently underwhelmed. 

Tours are all mostly 6+ hours away and don't grab my attention like they used to.
  • NecrothulhuNecrothulhu Posts: 33,444 master of ceremonies
    A good chunk of tours are either 50 minutes or 3-5 hours away from me. And lately no one has been able to make me want to drive there and back. I can't remember the last time I got into a new band. A chunk of the bands I'd like to see will never happen because someone died. Last show I was really pumped to see was either Rammstein or Gojira/Devin Townsend and that was years ago. And when it comes to shows staying in and eating food, watching whatever on tv/netflix, is more appealing than going anywhere
    imageimage
  • Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,526 moneytalker
    I would get Todd Level Hyped for Ozzfests back in the day. Mayhem started mediocre and just got more meh as time went on and it probably just went out with a whimper. 
  • NecrothulhuNecrothulhu Posts: 33,444 master of ceremonies
    I used to look forward to Ozzfest every year and would get sad once the day was over. Never had that kind of excitement with Mayhem nor did I enjoy it in the same way. Since the death of Mayhem I do wonder what else may or may not spring up for a summer touring fest..but whatever it is it'll probably blow
    imageimage
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    I find new music from recommendations by people that have time to care. Between Slap, Alex and about 3 of my friends irl, I get enough to keep me from getting bored
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    I go through phases and I'm just tired of metal at the moment. I hit the same ruts with a lot if other genres before too. All the shit comi bout now just seems rehashed.. I'd rather dive into things completely different that excite me. Now it's Americana/blue grassy/outlaw country but that'll prob last a little longer. I kinda wanna get back into punk because that's the genre I like the most where I know prob the least.  If metal does something flashy I'll prob get back into it more. If I go to Europe I'll prob have to up my European metal cred lol
    I'm done with punk. It's a wasteland now. All the decent bands that even get considered punk now are really just metal influenced hardcore
    Yea I don't mean modern punk lol I wanna dive more into the 80s NYC punk scene and kind of also the late 80s early 90s art rock NYC scene. Spotify has some real good shit
    My faves were early 80's west coast stuff like DK, Black Flag, TSOL, etc and 70s pseudo-glam proto-punk like Richard Hell and Suicide. I'm not a huge fan of most northeastern hardcore. Too much of it is stupid bro music. Cro-Mags and Sick of it All are kinda exceptions
    I liked what my parents liked lol my dad's taste in music is awesome. They've liked the same artists for 30 years tho so it becomes a little stale lol my dad wasn't listening to foghat he was listening to the dead boys Lou reed tom waits and the circle jerks
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    I still need to get into 80's hardcore stuff from dc, I feel like I'd like that stuff. My friend showed me that faith/void split and it slaps. To this day the only older punk/hardcore bands I ever got into were dead kennedys and misfits
    Minor Threat kills
    I like more punk than hardcore. Give me dead kennedies over minor threat any fucking day. Yeah the glammy type shit I gotta get into too
    I'm one of those odd ones that prefers the Pistols over The Ramones and The Clash. I'm not under the NY press myth that The Ramones "invented" punk. All my friends think I'm nuts cuz of it, but The Pistols had licks and fury and scared the shit outta everybody. It barely phases me that they were used to promote a fashion. Hell, I even prefer The Damned and The Anti-Nowhere League over The Clash. The Clash always bored me and still do
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,593 spicy boy
    still over 2 years away from 30 [-(
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    You old as fuck bruh