Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Education thread

Comments

• Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,526 moneytalker
    SATAN said:
    I kinda giggle when people talk about gold as an alternative to our potentially failing dollar. Basically because gold is just as useless as money when it comes down to it. It's not even rare. Same with jewels. Our monkey-like ancestors valued both because they didn't have science to tell them where they were in the ground and they basically just liked shiney stuff a lot. The only truly valuable things on earth are water and air. Which is funny in itself because we have no problem selling off our springs to Nabisco and letting companies talk us into deregulating emissions. 

Bullets.
    Pass the god damn butter.
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    Associates
    Gold is not an alternative to paper money, but when money fails you'll be damn sure you have it.. Before I die the price if gold will triple I promise you.. The timetable I don't know tho lol could be ten years could be fifty years
    Shit falls apart, your shiny rock isnt worth shit either.
    Associates
    Over 2000 years says differently
    Gonna make me put on my Jobe hat?

• GnomezGnomez Posts: 17,550 master of ceremonies
    Gnomez said:
    But most of the of the posters here are early 20's and couldn't have achieved many of those higher qualifications so your survey will be distorted 

Do you do anything to save for your retirement? Does NZ take care of their elderly?
    I've been giving this a lot of thought lately. I really need to start putting money aside now for retirement. The Govt pays Superannuation to people when they retire but it is not a lot per week and the age of retirement keeps being extended. We are focusing on paying our mortgage off as fast as we can right now so we can then start a retirement find. Paying about $2800 per month on our mortgage to pay it off asap
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    Some college but havent finnished yet
    Over 2000 years says differently
    Do you have a specific example of a time when currency failed and gold was considered valuable? Even in the post-WWI German economy when inflation was so bad people were burning cash for heat, gold didn't mean shit. People were trading and seeking exactly what Satan said, clean water and food.
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy
    edited September 2014
    Dropped out of HS. Fuck school.
    yeah like if there were three kinds of people when money collapsed, people with food, people with water, and people with gold, the people with gold would be fucked
    Associates
    Well I'm busy now but I'll talk more about it later.. Water and food are parishable (sp) so unless your like a farmer or something then pretty useless to 99 percent of the people
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Gold is useless to 100 percent of people...
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy
    Dropped out of HS. Fuck school.
    Yeah the only good thing gold might be able to do is repair the atmosphere...and our technology is no where near it needs to be to do that 
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    Well I'm busy now but I'll talk more about it later.. Water and food are parishable (sp) so unless your like a farmer or something then pretty useless to 99 percent of the people
    should i open up shop now or later?
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Master's (Graduate Degree)
    Gnomez said:
    Gnomez said:
    But most of the of the posters here are early 20's and couldn't have achieved many of those higher qualifications so your survey will be distorted 

Do you do anything to save for your retirement? Does NZ take care of their elderly?
    I've been giving this a lot of thought lately. I really need to start putting money aside now for retirement. The Govt pays Superannuation to people when they retire but it is not a lot per week and the age of retirement keeps being extended. We are focusing on paying our mortgage off as fast as we can right now so we can then start a retirement find. Paying about $2800 per month on our mortgage to pay it off asap
    We have something called "Social Security"  here that is basically a giant pyramid scheme that the US government does. See the way it is supposed to work is people pay into this their whole life, and then when they retire they draw that money out. Except- People draw out more than they put in, and the government themselves takes money out of this account to fund our wars around the world and other bullshit. They put iou's in that account. Well problem is that account runs out of actual money in a couple of years, and then the gov is on the hook to start paying back that money to all the seniors, but where are they going to get that money? The whole system is a complete scam that is legal. It pisses me off greatly, as this is money the government is stealing from me that I will never see a cent of.

Luckily for me, I pay attention to politics and finances and have known for a while I will never see any of this money. So Like I said somewhere else... When I got my first job out of college I started putting 10% of my pay into a 401k and Roth IRA's. These are two forms of retirement accounts that have huge tax savings. Most professional setting jobs that offer 401k plans also will match contributions dollar-for-dollar. So I did this right out of college so when I went from making 10k a year in the service industry to making 65k a year, I didn't even miss the 7k I saved for retirement.  If I am use to 10k a year, what difference is 65k verses 58k?  And then the companies are also kicking in another 7k to match what I saved. This was literally the best financial decision I've ever made because I would have just blown it if I didnt do that. When you do that sort of savings for 15 years, and at the same time that account increases in value 10x....  you dont have to get pissed about all the money the government is stealing from you with social security.

If you are graduating from college and getting a job that offers a 401k... DO IT! It will literally be the smartest thing you've done. And dont make any excuses. There are always excuses to not do it... Trust me, DO IT.
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    edited September 2014
    The craziest thing about most of the gold trade is that you aren't actually in possession of the gold, whoever is brokering it kinda is. They maintain possession of it. It's traded like a stock where the entirety of the transaction is mostly in paperwork. So if everything goes to shit, how do you even collect on it? 
  • SkullAndCrossbonesSkullAndCrossbones Posts: 16,452 destroyer of motherfuckers
    PHD
    PHD in proctology
    "That's another thing I love about metal, it's so fuckin' huge yet certain people don't even know it exists." - Rob Zombie
    PHD in proctology
    Welcome back man! \m/
    Welcome back Skully you cunt  <3
  • SkullAndCrossbonesSkullAndCrossbones Posts: 16,452 destroyer of motherfuckers
    PHD
    thanks guys.  i take it nothing's changed?
    "That's another thing I love about metal, it's so fuckin' huge yet certain people don't even know it exists." - Rob Zombie
    No......Leah came back and she's putting out to all the men on the forum 
    thanks guys.  i take it nothing's changed?
    A lot has changed! Mostly for the better.... We got in a big circle jerk and scared off all the ladies. You will be happy to hear we are still doing 'Kill yourself' and "Ban Pls" However we have now adopted "Dish but can't take". It's excellent, and almost always gets you 5+ likes.