Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Education thread

Comments

• WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited September 2014
    Master's (Graduate Degree)
    Gnomez said:
    I don't know what GED and half of that shit is.....regardless of that it has no relevance to what I earn right now 
    PHD - doctorate degree. Typically involved 8+ years of college education and you are considered extreme expert in this area because you've done original research in this area and have advanced the field.

Masters - 6+ years of college. Pretty much an expert in this subject but haven't necessarily been advancing the science.

Bachelors - 4 years of college. Typically this is considered the minimum education level for more middle to upper middle class jobs. You know your shit.

Associates - 2 years of college. People who do well with associates are usually going after some sort of trade jobs. Like you want to be a master welder, but dont give a shit about anything else. So it's 2 years of focused education in a particular area like that. People with just associates degree can find it hard to get work, unless they are in a particular trade. They for sure have a step up on HS grads.

HS - High school grad. This is a graduate of the state educational system. You can now tie your shoes, and should have a good clue how much a dollar cheese burger costs at McDonalds.

GED - technically stands for Graduate Equivalency Diploma. This is typically a degree for people who dropped out of high school, but took a test on the subject and the state says you have an education level of basically HS graduate. This is often times called a "Good Enough Degree" because that's a lot like what the program is. Companies will look down on people with GED's.

Gnomez said:
    So the point of this thread is......?

I wanted to know what the demographics are of this board. that's all. I was curious.
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    Associates
    Honestly if my resume sucked dick I would lie out my ass, would do you have to lose, it's not a crime 
    Who would put that they have a GED on an app..I have lied and put high school graduate on every single app ever 
    :)) no shit. Like any job is actually going to look that information up? I'd be surprised if that has ever happened.
    Gnomez said:
    I don't know what GED and half of that shit is.....regardless of that it has no relevance to what I earn right now 

Everyone knows Bill Gates dropped out of college and is the richest person in the world. In otherwords, everyone knows your point.
    Honestly if my resume sucked dick I would lie out my ass, would do you have to lose, it's not a crime 
    This is very smart. And I'd supply references that are just alternate phone numbers you have, and then when they call to get the reference, you can just talk yourself up. You'll probably never get caught.
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy
    Dropped out of HS. Fuck school.
    Yeah..most of my references are just friends who own companies lol. My best reference is actually now my boss but when I used him as a reference I had never worked for his company 
  • GnomezGnomez Posts: 17,550 master of ceremonies
    Ok but I think here we call the equivalent of your High School = College
    And your equivalent of College = University

• GnomezGnomez Posts: 17,550 master of ceremonies
    Gnomez said:
    So the point of this thread is......?

I wanted to know what the demographics are of this board. that's all. I was curious.
    But most of the of the posters here are early 20's and couldn't have achieved many of those higher qualifications so your survey will be distorted 
    Gnomez said:
    But most of the of the posters here are early 20's and couldn't have achieved many of those higher qualifications so your survey will be distorted 

Do you do anything to save for your retirement? Does NZ take care of their elderly?
    wtf does that even mean?
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Some college but havent finnished yet
    wtf does that even mean?
    Let me put it into terms you can understand

/r/circlejerk
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,721 mod
    Bachlors
    Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering. Took me about 16 months to find a job in my field after graduation, but I found a good one without having to leave Michigan, so I'd say the wait was worth it.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    Currently in Professional Studies in Education here at Mount Ida, but I'm transferring next year to a school with an Elementary Education program so I can get the accreditation I need to teach.

I plan on getting a graduate degree, probably in Educational Administration.
    Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering. Took me about 16 months to find a job in my field after graduation, but I found a good one without having to leave Michigan, so I'd say the wait was worth it.

Are you investing in your 401k yet? Do IT! If you dont, it's the worst mistake you will make.
    wtf does that even mean?
    Let me put it into terms you can understand

/r/circlejerk

Thanks. I speak middle age white reddit. I'm not experienced in hood speak. (If I was Todd, I probably would have phrased this differently)
  • DimeDime Posts: 10,239 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Taking a bit of a detour because after a year of hating myself for going down the police path, I decided fuck this cop shit and am now working towards something that will actually help people. This semester is a bit of a setback because I dropped cop classes and am going to wait til next semester to pick some more up. Currently finishing what will be about 70% of my gen eds and am working toward EMT training.