Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

SOAD

Comments

• WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited September 2014
    They should get back together and make more albums
    I dont really jam SOAD anymore but they were easily the best nu metal band back in the day. They threw down in 2011. Played like 30 songs. 
    I always hated this band being lumped in with other NuMetal bands. I've always held onto the belief that NuMetal was a fusion between rap and metal. For a band to have this it really must have good ties to both genre's.... Bands like Linkin Park, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Rage against the Machine, POD, Kid Rock, etc. are all obvious NuMetal. I would even personally say The Beastie Boys should be categorized as probably the first NuMetal band, but people like to resist that because of their years and that they are slightly more hiphop.

So Yeah I know that because SOAD came out in 2000, that automatically makes them a NuMetal band. But the label doesnt Fit IMHO. It's like saying AIC is a grunge band, which I also don't agree with. but whatever.
    Post edited by WakeOfAshes on
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    Meh.
    I only really liked the first album. 'Toxicity' was good, but it was overrated/over saturated and I lost all interest after I saw Mars Volta blow them off the stage on the first leg of the Mesmerize/Hypnotize tour
    edited September 2014
    Meh.
    IMO Daron can suck it with that "Hollywood Life" shit he kinda sinks into. The only people that give a shit about Hollywood are people in Hollywood
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    I like this band, but Daron is a fag
    "you should have never trusted hollywood"
    I love winning with women
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    Meh.
    whole thread is tl;dr
  • Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,526 moneytalker
    Ive heard both Mr Jack and Chic n Stew live. Chic n stew was years before Steal This Album and I had never heard it before.
    Pass the god damn butter.
    pepperoni and green peppers mushrooms olives chives
    I was pretty wtf at the time. Didn't even seem like a real song, yet there were still a few people here and there singing along. Plus drugs.
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,281 mod
    WAKE UP! GRAB A BRUSH AND PUT A LITTLE MAKE UP!

• FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    I heard Vicinity of Obscenity before Hypnotize came out and I did the same exact thing =))
    They were 1,000 x better live when they all still liked each other. Those last couple of tours just were not the same band. That last Ozzfest they did shouldnt even count.
    serj straight up didnt give a shit at ozzfest 06. so disappointing, especially since they were my favorite band at the time. sounded like fucking kermit the frog.
    Yeah, i saw the 06 arena tour and they sucked dick
    the creation of this thread has made me go on an soadspree

I went out on a date with a girl a bit late

SHE HAD SO MANY FRIENDS
    It was soooo exotic
    BUT JUST ONE POGO STICK!
    Meh.
    The first time I saw them was opening for Fear Factory and they came out in a bunch of makeup like some Manson clones and it turned me off right away. I got into them later because of a girl I was dating and ended up seeing them with Slayer the next year and they were more stripped down and played heavier. The next year, I saw them on Sno-Core with Incubus and Mr. Bungle and they were playing up the weirdness. That was prolly my favorite set by them. It was the last night of the tour and they destroyed their gear at the end. I always felt like they fell into that rut where I had a hard time telling a lot of their songs apart. They also had no problem co-mingling with some of the cheesier of their nu-metal brethren, like Linkin Park and hed(pe) and ended up on some putrid tours. I used to give them props for being good live. I saw them slay on the Summer Sanitatium tour they did with Metallica, Korn and Kid Rock. They were easily the best band on stage that day. I guess what you guys are mentioning about them hating each other is when they lost their steam. The last Ozzfest I saw them on they seemed bored and the last Headlining date I mentioned with Mars Volta, they literally put me to sleep. I fell out during one of their more meandering Hypnotize/Mesmerize songs, woke up, got irritated that it was that boring and then went home. I barely ever listen to them at all anymore
    SATAN said:
    The first time I saw them was opening for Fear Factory and they came out in a bunch of makeup like some Manson clones and it turned me off right away. I got into them later because of a girl I was dating
    SHE HAD SO MANY FRIENDS
  • DimeDime Posts: 10,239 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Meh.
    Used to be huge into them. At one point, they were my favorite band. But Serj and Daron have pretty much killed the return for me. It didn't feel genuine, just felt like "well, we could use some money. Let's do SOAD shit for a minute." Toxicity is so goddamn overrated though. Half the album is random filler tracks that they only made because they were wacked out on all sorts of drugs. No substance, but they tried to paint a meaning behind them. With the exception of Bounce. That was a fun track out of the 6 or 7 filler songs. Steal This Album! is where its at \m/ First one is good as well, and I liked a handful of songs each from Hypnotize and Mezmerize. Daron had way to much vocal work on those two though. His voice just is not better/as good as Serj's voice and it felt like they were splitting the vocal work 50/50 on Hypnotize & Mezmerize. That, and their music has just declined in repeat listens for me. Maybe because I overplayed the shit out of their albums when I first got into them. Don't hate SOAD, but I definitely don't put them on the same pedestal. 
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    Meh.
    >only made them because on drugs
    >no substance