Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

I swear to fucking God we're on the road to apocalypse.

124»

Comments

• StratophonyStratophony Posts: 9,212 just the tip
    goes back to the whole "reformation" of scandinavia.... some pope (i forget who) told all the monks, that kept sending him messages of a public rejection of christianity, to let them keep their various festivities and what not. But to tell them that they should only believe in one "GOD!".... pretty much what i just said heh;

there are documented messages/letter from this pope giving this order.... and my previous post is just referencing how their slick tongues, and sharper blades (heh), is what really "convinced" the nords to convert. And how what you mentioned that this was a current issue with the church is just an ancient solution to a modern problem.

It's a good read... you should look into it.

im a huge history buff..... on everything; religions, war, architecture, politics, etc. I have a horrible selective memory though. History ist krieg
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I was saying that the belief that the church has become more...open (that's still not the word) to scientific advances that it once was very outspoken against. The Heliocentric Planetary theory, evolution, the Big Bang, are just a few that have made their way into modern religion since these times. Other "heathenistic" or "heretic" religions however, will never be accepted. Religion's main persecution now is based upon individuals and their life styles, it's not easy to persecute large groups of people anymore.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • StratophonyStratophony Posts: 9,212 just the tip
    "I was saying that the belief that the church has become more...open (that's still not the word) to scientific advances that it once was very outspoken against. The Heliocentric Planetary theory, evolution, the Big Bang, are just a few that have made their way into modern religion since these times."

Tolerant?

yea... this is what i was referring to directly.

Saying that im not buying this whole "open mindedness" of the modern church.... because it's something they've done before. Sort of to create a false sense of security before reeling in the followers. (and whats a church without followers?)

John Paul 2 may have been sincere about it himself (I liked the guy).... but honestly, who listens to what the pope says these days? All the popes do now is apologize... fortunately, they've lost all sense of power.
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I believe this is sincere, they realize that they are slowly becoming obsolete, and day by day people realize that it makes no sense.

John Paul II, was probably one of if not the most progressive pope in the church's history. In a world with a less involved church, he made the church more relevant. Benedict has taken the church backwards, but I don't know how much further they can go. The only people that consider the church relevant are the religious. With fewer religious, they're doomed.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    burn em all for what they done
  • JormungandrJormungandr Posts: 1,971 juggalo
    "burn em all for what they done"
    See, that's Varg's logic. Do you think the African Americans should kill all us whites? We did commit genocide on their people.

The church doesn't have much power these days. The Christians I know are respectful of my beliefs, and others at least. The reason they evangelize is because they are actually concerned about us spending eternity in hell, so they try to save us. That's just their belief.

However, they could be more mindful than just expecting you to disregard your personal experiences and journey that led you to what you believe.