Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

2013 Albums of The Year Thread

Comments

• NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,281 mod
    1. Kanye West - Yeezus
    2. Jay - Z - Magna Carta... Holy Grail
    3. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
    4.Knife Party - Haunted House
    5. Tyler The Creator - Wolf
    6. Borgore - Legend
    7. Paramore - Paramore
    8. Pretty Lights - A Color Map of the Sun
    9. Tiesto - Club Life Vol 3 Stockholm
    10. J. Cole - Born Sinner
    11. Mac Miller - Watching Movies With The Sound Off
    12.Wale - The Gifted
    13. Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience
    14. Major Lazer - Free The Universe
    15. Kid Cudi - Indicud
    16. Flux Pavilion - Blow The Roof
    17. Armin Van Buuren - Intense
    18. Fall Out Boy - Save Rock & Roll
    19. Lil Wayne - I Am Not A Human Being II

• Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,593 spicy boy
    Fall out boy =))
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,281 mod
  • AdamAdam Posts: 11,533 balls deep
    that new jay-z is so awesome.
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    So I see the new deafheaven getting praise even my brother in law who is into hipster stuff (more along the lines of postal service and arcade fire) tells me I should listen to the song dream house. I get the record and listen to the first couple of songs. Am I missing something here? The vocals are so drowned out you can't understand a thing that's being said. I don't find that to be good.
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    Nah people just like to nut over the bands with the fewest fans.
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    I can respect it but it's not really my thing.. Mainly cuz the vocal style
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    mrAPE said:

So I see the new deafheaven getting praise even my brother in law who is into hipster stuff (more along the lines of postal service and arcade fire) tells me I should listen to the song dream house. I get the record and listen to the first couple of songs. Am I missing something here? The vocals are so drowned out you can't understand a thing that's being said. I don't find that to be good.

Since when are you supposed to understand the vocals in black metal? :|
    So are you telling me you'll not only like but highly recommend an album even when you cannot understand any lyrics?
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    Absolutely. givezafukk about lyrics. If the music is absolutely brilliant, I couldn't give a rat's ass abou lyrics. Even so, Deafheaven's lyrics are great if you take the time to read them. I don't get why people who listen to more extreme forms of metal give a shit about lyrics though. Especially when most the time they're so elementary.
    With this band the vocals are so downed it blends into everything else in an annoying way.

I enjoy lyrics and being able to understand them
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,705 spicy boy
    A lot of bands I listen to dont even speak english, so its not a big deal if I cant understand them. music that is substantial or interesting is important to me.
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,705 spicy boy
    Watch a Liturgy interview Ape. You'll understand.
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
    To me it's like watching silent movies.. Could a silent movie be good? Sure but I don't think you can really connect without words and dialogue..
    If the lyrics aren't supposed to matter be an instrumental band.
    NolaMetal said:

To me it's like watching silent movies.. Could a silent movie be good? Sure but I don't think you can really connect without words and dialogue..

Dude, don't you listen to a ton of death metal? Last time I checked you loved Cryptopsy. You can't honestly tell me you understand and love their lyrics.
    mrAPE said:

If the lyrics aren't supposed to matter be an instrumental band.

Just because the vocals are hard to make out doesn't mean the lyrics don't matter to the band. How they chose to deliver them shouldn't affect the importance of the lyrics to the one who writes them. Can you understand a lot of the lyrics in doom metal, black metal, powerviolence or even non extreme forms of music like shoegaze? No, but that doesn't mean that writing and delivering them doesn't serve some sort of catharsis and hold deep meaning to the one singing, screaming, or whatever you have.
    Yea I like cryptopsy but they're pretty much just amp up music.. It's music that gets me going puts me on a natural high and I love that feeling but I don't connect with that music.. It's not something I hold really meaningful yet I do enjoy it.. As much as I like it I wouldn't put it anywhere near my all time fav groups
    I can understand that. Personally, I don't need to understand the lyrics to connect to the music on a deep emotional level. It's about the atmosphere for me
    Hard to make out? Deafheaven have eliminated any ability to understand a thing they say. ill agree that its about how things are delivered however with bands like this there is no point in having vocals it makes what's good instrumentally hard to follow because you have the annoying vocal noise going on. Why don't bands just stop writing the lyrics all together and become what all outsiders think it is anyway. Just screaming
    I mean don't get me wrong it can still be emotional.. Getting all amped up is emotion lol but it's still not that deep connection I get from other music.. Like listening to cryptopsy is not going to change who I am as a person lol