Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

How fair was PSU's penalty?

Comments

• SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    edited July 2012
    They should nuke State College, PA
    @nola

this is just how it goes in college sports. if they don't punish the schools, it doesn't create a culture where the schools police themselves. if they only punished the perpetrators, every school would just be sitting on the sidelines, trying to wash their hands of the incident claiming ignorance. this way, the school is held accountable for what goes on within it's walls.
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    edited July 2012
    Too harsh
    hit em in the checkbook then, hard, but don't tell every student that won a game in the last 14 years that their hardwork didn't mean shit. that's going way too far.
  • SkullAndCrossbonesSkullAndCrossbones Posts: 16,452 destroyer of motherfuckers
    im ok with everything but the 4 year post season ban. IMO that was a little bit overkill. that doesn't punish any guilty person. it only punishes football players. if their motives by doing that were to prevent PSU from receiving profit from bowl games it shoulda been handled differently. IMO they should let PSU play in ALL of their games and whatever money they make in bowl games 100% of that goes directly to child abuse charities or something. that way they're still punishing the school but not the innocent football players.
    "That's another thing I love about metal, it's so fuckin' huge yet certain people don't even know it exists." - Rob Zombie
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,721 mod
    The football players can transfer and play wherever immediately. I don't see how that's unfair to them.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage

The football players can transfer and play wherever immediately. I don't see how that's unfair to them.

true, they could. but players that are on scholarships might not get their scholarship transferred over to another school they wanna go to, no? some players may not be able to afford going to a school that's too far away, idk. some players may have to go to a lesser caliber type of school in order to keep their scholarship, no? im not sure how all that works but i still like my idea better cause the innocent players can stay where they are, play a full football season, and charities would get a lot of money.
    "That's another thing I love about metal, it's so fuckin' huge yet certain people don't even know it exists." - Rob Zombie
    and psu would get fucked out of a lot of money too
    I have no problem with the football program being punished because putting the football program above everything else is what caused this all to happen.

I have no problem with the football program being punished because putting the football program above everything else is what caused this all to happen.

but the people responsible are gone. this doesn't punish them. their recruiting is gonna be fucked for a long time either way. and what happened didn't represent the football program as a whole. it was just a handful of people within the football program that were to blame. i know it was some of the top guys that were responsible but it's not like the ENTIRE football organization, along with the players, were all in on it and collectively came up with diabolical plans and cover-ups to help sandusky rape kids. i know what happened is so fucked up but i think the 2 should be more separated (the people responsible and football itself) rather then lump everything and everyone into the same basket. i guess i think of it more as if say a handful of cops were involved in dealing drugs and were caught. do you get rid of the whole precinct or just the people responsible?
    idk, i dont think you can blame everyone within the football program based on the actions of a handful of people (top guys or not).
    Nothing is stopping them from playing football.......and you can't separate them because the football program was the reason this all stayed covered up for over 10 years. It's not hard to understand.
    edited July 2012
    the reason this was covered up was because of some people WITHIN the program wanted to protect psu football. football isn't to blame here, it's sandusky and everyone who covered this up no matter what their stupid reasoning was. it's not like it was a unanimous decision made by everyone involved with psu football. it was a decision made by just a few people (compared to the rest of the organization). i guess basically what im trying to say is a few peoples personal decisions (no matter what their reasoning was) shouldn't reflect on the organization as a whole.
    When the offenders are the people at the head of the program and the university, absolutely it should reflect on them. Come on Skully. :|
    why should it reflect on the people who had nothing to do with it?
    I just answered that. This discussion is going nowhere.
    i really do understand what you mean though and how football is associated with all of this but i just respectfully disagree with the no bowls punishment. i like my idea better cause everyone would win. players wont have to change schools and they would get to play in bowls (also get to show off their skills to NFL scouts in these bowls), psu wouldn't get a cent from any post season games, and charities would get all that money.
    anyone hear the clip from the harrisburg local news where penn state fans were comparing monday to 9/11?

dee-luu-sion-alll
    they had one of the local sports radio jocks from state college on our sports talk station here yesterday. he said that if silas redd leaves for usc, the rest of the team will probably disperse afterward. he was resigned to not winning for the next decade.
  • jagjag Posts: 5,033 destroyer of motherfuckers
    #freesandusky #freepsu #joepaisinnocent
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    Too harsh
    why does no one blame the District Attorney who knew what Sandusky was doing and never pressed charges? Aside from Sandusky himself that motherfucker is the biggest reason this shit was allowed to continue.